activation

confused 1

activation
i bought vista upgrade and install on my xp machine.. This machine suffered
a spillage and the main board failed.. i bought a new pc and it came with
vista home premium, i upgraded with my upgrade disk to ultimate but it say's
that my product key is in use, i am only wanting to use the software on one
pc, how can i resolve this issue, the old computer is dead ?
Rock

Re: activation
"confused 1" wrote
>i bought vista upgrade and install on my xp machine.. This machine
>suffered
> a spillage and the main board failed.. i bought a new pc and it came with
> vista home premium, i upgraded with my upgrade disk to ultimate but it
> say's
> that my product key is in use, i am only wanting to use the software on
> one
> pc, how can i resolve this issue, the old computer is dead ?

Select the phone activation, and call for activation. Since it's an upgrade
version you have, that is transferable to a different system.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Vigilante

Re: activation
Why do we have to pay for it again if it is under the 90 day window?
The people answering the phone kept saying I would have to buy a replacement key.
There was nothing wrong with the previous key and now they have rendered the license label useless sticky crud on my PC case.
Who the heck thought this was a good idea?

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote in message news:%233epoRYnHHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
"confused 1" wrote
>i bought vista upgrade and install on my xp machine.. This machine
>suffered
> a spillage and the main board failed.. i bought a new pc and it came with
> vista home premium, i upgraded with my upgrade disk to ultimate but it
> say's
> that my product key is in use, i am only wanting to use the software on
> one
> pc, how can i resolve this issue, the old computer is dead ?

Select the phone activation, and call for activation. Since it's an upgrade
version you have, that is transferable to a different system.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: activation
"Vigilante" wrote
> Why do we have to pay for it again if it is under the 90 day window?
> The people answering the phone kept saying I would have to buy
> a replacement key. There was nothing wrong with the previous
> key and now they have rendered the license label useless
> sticky crud on my PC case. Who the heck thought this
> was a good idea?

"Rock" <Rock@nospam.net> wrote
"confused 1" wrote
>i bought vista upgrade and install on my xp machine.. This machine
>suffered
> a spillage and the main board failed.. i bought a new pc and it came with
> vista home premium, i upgraded with my upgrade disk to ultimate but it
> say's
> that my product key is in use, i am only wanting to use the software on
> one
> pc, how can i resolve this issue, the old computer is dead ?

>> Select the phone activation, and call for activation. Since it's an
>> upgrade
>> version you have, that is transferable to a different system.

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Are you the OP?

The same copy of Vista can be reinstalled/reactivated on the same system as
many times as you want. There is no limit and 90 days doesn't come into it.

Additionally a retail license can be moved / installed on a different system
as long as it is first removed from the system it's on. There is no limit
to the number of moves for a retail version.

An OEM version is tied by the license to the first system on which it's
installed, but it can be reinstalled on that same system as many times as
you want.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

mikeyhsd

Re: activation
you are probably calling the wrong people.
there should been a phone activation number presented to you when you encountered the error.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net