Activation Problem

Simon

Activation Problem
Hi,

I'm getting an Activation Error when I try to activate my Vista Home Premium
upgrade.

I was running XP Pro previously and the installer said I had to do a clean
install (which I had expected after reading
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx)

Everything seemingly went well but I now get the error message "The Software
Licensing Service determined that this specified product key can only be
used for upgrading, not for clean installations."

So I can't do an upgrade and I can't do a clean install!

Has anyone any suggestions that could help?

Thanks,

Si.

AJR

Re: Activation Problem
Phone activation.

"Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting an Activation Error when I try to activate my Vista Home
> Premium
> upgrade.
>
> I was running XP Pro previously and the installer said I had to do a clean
> install (which I had expected after reading
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx)
>
> Everything seemingly went well but I now get the error message "The
> Software
> Licensing Service determined that this specified product key can only be
> used for upgrading, not for clean installations."
>
> So I can't do an upgrade and I can't do a clean install!
>
> Has anyone any suggestions that could help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Si.

Conor

Re: Activation Problem
In article <#YySCIYnHHA.3952@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>, AJR says...
> Phone activation.

How is that going to help? The upgrade path for XP Pro is Business or
Ultimate.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Gary VanderMolen

Re: Activation Problem
"Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:711BBE92-C067-457C-98E0-3898216C3784@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting an Activation Error when I try to activate my Vista Home Premium
> upgrade.
>
> I was running XP Pro previously and the installer said I had to do a clean
> install (which I had expected after reading
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx)
>
> Everything seemingly went well but I now get the error message "The Software
> Licensing Service determined that this specified product key can only be
> used for upgrading, not for clean installations."
>
> So I can't do an upgrade and I can't do a clean install!
>
> Has anyone any suggestions that could help?

You should have used the clean install method that is specific for
upgrade media:

Gary VanderMolen

Simon

Re: Activation Problem

"Gary VanderMolen" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message
> "Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm getting an Activation Error when I try to activate my Vista Home
>> Premium
>> upgrade.
>>
>> I was running XP Pro previously and the installer said I had to do a
>> clean
>> install (which I had expected after reading
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...radepaths.mspx)
>>
>> Everything seemingly went well but I now get the error message "The
>> Software
>> Licensing Service determined that this specified product key can only be
>> used for upgrading, not for clean installations."
>>
>> So I can't do an upgrade and I can't do a clean install!
>>
>> Has anyone any suggestions that could help?

> You should have used the clean install method that is specific for
> upgrade media:
> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932
>
> --
> Gary VanderMolen

That did the trick - thanks!

-
Change RED to blue to reply

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Activation Problem
"Simon" <newsonly@REDyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:78580435-4DB1-4900-B24D-B47DD5129DF3@microsoft.com...

> "Gary VanderMolen" <gary@NoMail.invalid> wrote in message news:ulHQmGanHHA.1244@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> You should have used the clean install method that is specific for
>> upgrade media:
>> http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932
>>
>> --
>> Gary VanderMolen
>>

> That did the trick - thanks!

Glad it worked out for you. Thanks for the feedback.
--
Gary VanderMolen