Environment Variables

Arne

Environment Variables
Is it permissible to change the evironment variables to have temp files
placed on as second hard drive (where the OS is not installed). I changed the
location to T:/Temp and now there are problems installing Acrobat Reader.

Originally, the partition was on the same hard drive as the OS, and this
change did not cause any problems. After moving files and creating and
formating the T:/ partition on the second drive, there are install errors. I
also put the Temporary Internet Files in the T:/ directory. These files will
appear, if I check from within Internet Explorer, but they were not visible
in Windows Explorer. I had to call it quits this morning before work, so I am
not certain if a reboot will solve the problem.

It seems a reasonable thing to have all the temp files stored on a second
hard drive and make use of the two physically independent read/write hard
drive spindles.

Does anyone know if there is a prohibition on putting the temp folders on a
second hard drive?

Rick Rogers

Re: Environment Variables
Hi Arne,

There is no reason you can't move the %temp% folders to another volume.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Arne" <Arne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it permissible to change the evironment variables to have temp files
> placed on as second hard drive (where the OS is not installed). I changed
> the
> location to T:/Temp and now there are problems installing Acrobat Reader.
>
> Originally, the partition was on the same hard drive as the OS, and this
> change did not cause any problems. After moving files and creating and
> formating the T:/ partition on the second drive, there are install errors.
> also put the Temporary Internet Files in the T:/ directory. These files
> will
> appear, if I check from within Internet Explorer, but they were not
> visible
> in Windows Explorer. I had to call it quits this morning before work, so I
> am
> not certain if a reboot will solve the problem.
>
> It seems a reasonable thing to have all the temp files stored on a second
> hard drive and make use of the two physically independent read/write hard
> drive spindles.
>
> Does anyone know if there is a prohibition on putting the temp folders on
> second hard drive?

Arne

Re: Environment Variables
Rick,

The default path is: %USER PROFILE%\App Data\Local\Temp

Will changing the path to Z:\Temp work, or is there a meta-character
designator for the path?

Arne

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Arne,
>
> There is no reason you can't move the %temp% folders to another volume.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Arne" <Arne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is it permissible to change the evironment variables to have temp files
> > placed on as second hard drive (where the OS is not installed). I changed
> > the
> > location to T:/Temp and now there are problems installing Acrobat Reader.
> >
> > Originally, the partition was on the same hard drive as the OS, and this
> > change did not cause any problems. After moving files and creating and
> > formating the T:/ partition on the second drive, there are install errors.
> > also put the Temporary Internet Files in the T:/ directory. These files
> > will
> > appear, if I check from within Internet Explorer, but they were not
> > visible
> > in Windows Explorer. I had to call it quits this morning before work, so I
> > am
> > not certain if a reboot will solve the problem.
> >
> > It seems a reasonable thing to have all the temp files stored on a second
> > hard drive and make use of the two physically independent read/write hard
> > drive spindles.
> >
> > Does anyone know if there is a prohibition on putting the temp folders on
> > second hard drive?

Don

Re: Environment Variables
Arne wrote:
> Is it permissible to change the evironment variables to have temp files
> placed on as second hard drive (where the OS is not installed). I changed the
> location to T:/Temp and now there are problems installing Acrobat Reader...

The usual cause for Acrobat failure to install is that UAC has been
disabled. Before worrying about the temp directory just try turning
UAC back on.

Rick Rogers

Re: Environment Variables
Hi,

Should be fine to just use Z:\Temp. The default contains a variable as the
design of Vista has everything run within the user profile.

--

> Rick,
>
> The default path is: %USER PROFILE%\App Data\Local\Temp
>
> Will changing the path to Z:\Temp work, or is there a meta-character
> designator for the path?
>
> Arne
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Arne,
>>
>> There is no reason you can't move the %temp% folders to another volume.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Arne" <Arne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Is it permissible to change the evironment variables to have temp files
>> > placed on as second hard drive (where the OS is not installed). I
>> > changed
>> > the
>> > location to T:/Temp and now there are problems installing Acrobat
>> > Reader.
>> >
>> > Originally, the partition was on the same hard drive as the OS, and
>> > this
>> > change did not cause any problems. After moving files and creating and
>> > formating the T:/ partition on the second drive, there are install
>> > errors.
>> > also put the Temporary Internet Files in the T:/ directory. These
>> > files
>> > will
>> > appear, if I check from within Internet Explorer, but they were not
>> > visible
>> > in Windows Explorer. I had to call it quits this morning before work,
>> > so I
>> > am
>> > not certain if a reboot will solve the problem.
>> >
>> > It seems a reasonable thing to have all the temp files stored on a
>> > second
>> > hard drive and make use of the two physically independent read/write
>> > hard
>> > drive spindles.
>> >
>> > Does anyone know if there is a prohibition on putting the temp folders
>> > on
>> > second hard drive?

Arne

Re: Environment Variables
Don,

I did toggle UAC and notifications, but ended up quick formatting the
partition during Vista reinstall.

The temp folders are at the defaults for now. The Downloads, Documents, etc.
personal folders have been pointed to the second drive with no problems.

Arne