Uninstalling Windows Vista

Jimmy

Uninstalling Windows Vista
I recently bought and installed Windows Vista Home Premium for my IBM laptop
but I have decided that I want to have Business on it instead. Is there a way
to uninstall the Home Premium on the IBM laptop and use that for another
computer? Thank you for any information you can provide.
Rock

Re: Uninstalling Windows Vista
"Jimmy" wrote
>I recently bought and installed Windows Vista Home Premium for my IBM
>laptop
> but I have decided that I want to have Business on it instead. Is there a
> way
> to uninstall the Home Premium on the IBM laptop and use that for another
> computer? Thank you for any information you can provide.

Yes, if it's a Retail license it's transferrable to a different computer.
Just remove it from where it is now. If it's OEM, by the license it's tied
to the first computer on which it's installed.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rick Rogers

Re: Uninstalling Windows Vista
Hi,

In addition to Rock, when you use the Vista HP disk on a different system,
you will likely need to phone in the activation. Trying the 'net method will
result in a message that the license is already in use. When you activate by
phone, you will be given a new activation code (possibly automatically)
after stating that you've moved it to a different system and removed it from
the one it's currently on.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jimmy" <Jimmy @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently bought and installed Windows Vista Home Premium for my IBM
>laptop
> but I have decided that I want to have Business on it instead. Is there a
> way
> to uninstall the Home Premium on the IBM laptop and use that for another
> computer? Thank you for any information you can provide.

mikeyhsd

Re: Uninstalling Windows Vista
yep go ahead and enjoy.
if registration complains, call ms and tell them you changed hard drive.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"Jimmy" <Jimmy @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:13A45E56-85F1-4142-9A8B-D3F26D3987D3@microsoft.com...
I recently bought and installed Windows Vista Home Premium for my IBM laptop
but I have decided that I want to have Business on it instead. Is there a way
to uninstall the Home Premium on the IBM laptop and use that for another
computer? Thank you for any information you can provide.
Lollipop10

RE: Uninstalling Windows Vista
I have worked w/ computer for many years, but have not encountered anything
quite like VISTA. Microsoft should refund the cost to everyone who bought it
for$160.00. Word is not printing except for an illegible line. Can someone
be VERY specific about uninstalling VISTA? There are 4 Microsoft 'files' in
the Control Panel...do I uninstall each one separately? What about the
activation code? My new computer has VISTA...I am not upgrading. OR...can
one overwrite VISTA?Thanks so much.

"Jimmy" wrote:

> I recently bought and installed Windows Vista Home Premium for my IBM laptop
> but I have decided that I want to have Business on it instead. Is there a way
> to uninstall the Home Premium on the IBM laptop and use that for another
> computer? Thank you for any information you can provide.

Dave

Re: Uninstalling Windows Vista
Most people have little trouble with Vista. However, if you wish to install
XP, you should be able to.

There is no de-activation, nor any uninstall for Vista. If you wish to
install XP, back up your data files, boot up off the XP disk, and format the
Vista partition, and install XP.
Before you do this, please check to see if there are XP drivers for all of
your hardware. Some computers, laptops in particular, may have been designed
only for Vista.

--
http://get.live.com/wlmail/overview

"Lollipop10" <Lollipop10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have worked w/ computer for many years, but have not encountered
> anything
> quite like VISTA. Microsoft should refund the cost to everyone who bought
> it
> for$160.00. Word is not printing except for an illegible line. Can
> someone
> be VERY specific about uninstalling VISTA? There are 4 Microsoft 'files'
> in
> the Control Panel...do I uninstall each one separately? What about the
> activation code? My new computer has VISTA...I am not upgrading.
> OR...can
> one overwrite VISTA?Thanks so much.
>

> "Jimmy" wrote:
>
>> I recently bought and installed Windows Vista Home Premium for my IBM
>> laptop
>> but I have decided that I want to have Business on it instead. Is there a
>> way
>> to uninstall the Home Premium on the IBM laptop and use that for another
>> computer? Thank you for any information you can provide.

Hank Arnold (MVP)

Lollipop10 wrote:
> I have worked w/ computer for many years, but have not encountered anything
> quite like VISTA. Microsoft should refund the cost to everyone who bought it
> for$160.00. Word is not printing except for an illegible line. Can someone
> be VERY specific about uninstalling VISTA? There are 4 Microsoft 'files' in
> the Control Panel...do I uninstall each one separately? What about the
> activation code? My new computer has VISTA...I am not upgrading. OR...can
> one overwrite VISTA?Thanks so much.
>

> "Jimmy" wrote:
>
>> I recently bought and installed Windows Vista Home Premium for my IBM laptop
>> but I have decided that I want to have Business on it instead. Is there a way
>> to uninstall the Home Premium on the IBM laptop and use that for another
>> computer? Thank you for any information you can provide.

Based on your questions, I'm not sure what you've been doing while
working "w/ computer for many years"...........

You don't even understand how to uninstall an operating system??? What
*ABOUT* the activation code?? "Can one overwrite VISTA?"????????????

You don't have a clue...... Buy a copy of Windows 98 and be
happy.................

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Bruce Chambers

Lollipop10 wrote:
> I have worked w/ computer for many years, but have not encountered anything
> quite like VISTA. Microsoft should refund the cost to everyone who bought it
> for$160.00.

That's quite inexpensive. Where'd you find that bargain? Which
specific edition of Vista?

> Word is not printing except for an illegible line.

Can't see how that could possibly have anything to do with Vista,
unless you've neglected to install the correct Vista-specific device
drivers for your printer, but that's hardly the OS' fault. And it's
easily remedied.

> Can someone
> be VERY specific about uninstalling VISTA? There are 4 Microsoft 'files' in
> the Control Panel...do I uninstall each one separately?

You don't uninstall the OS from the Control Panel, at all. You format
the hard drive, wiping out everything.

> What about the
> activation code?

Do you mean the Vista Product Key? What about it? If you're replacing
Vista, it's completely immaterial. It certainly won't work with the
replacement OS.

> My new computer has VISTA...I am not upgrading. OR...can
> one overwrite VISTA?Thanks so much.

It's your computer, so the choice is, ultimately, yours.

However, there could be a couple possible adverse repercussions of
which you should be aware. First and foremost, if the specific computer
model in question was designed specifically for Vista, there may well be
no WinXP-specific device drivers available to make the computer's
diverse components work properly. Consult the computer's manufacturer
about the availability of device drivers. Secondly, removing an
OEM-installed operating system and replacing it with another will almost
invariably void any and all support agreements and, sometimes, even the
warranty. You would, at the very least, have to re-install Vista before
getting any support from the manufacturer. Again, consult the
computer's manufacturer for specifics. Thirdly, there may be the
additional cost involved in purchasing a WinXP license for this new
computer. (An OEM CD and license from some previous computer will not
do, for legal and usually technical reasons.)

After backing up any data you wish to transfer to the new OS
installation, simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be
offered the opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part
of the installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of
boot devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)

HOW TO Install Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-us;316941

Then, assuming that the computer can be made to work with WinXP,
the backed up data can be restored and applications (Those that are
WinXP-compatible, that is) re-installed.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Marty

RE: Uninstalling Windows Vista
I have Vista on My HP laptop, and I want to install WindowsXP Professional. I
have the program on CD, and I was told I could just install it over the Vista
program with out any problems. I am wondering how you did with your problem?

"Jimmy" wrote:

> I recently bought and installed Windows Vista Home Premium for my IBM laptop
> but I have decided that I want to have Business on it instead. Is there a way
> to uninstall the Home Premium on the IBM laptop and use that for another
> computer? Thank you for any information you can provide.

Paul Montgomery

Re: Uninstalling Windows Vista
On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 23:35:01 -0700, Marty
<Marty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have Vista on My HP laptop, and I want to install WindowsXP Professional. I
>have the program on CD, and I was told I could just install it over the Vista
>program with out any problems. I am wondering how you did with your problem?

NEWS FLASH: Jimmy left the thread in MAY OF 2007.

Before you attempt to do that, make SURE HP has XP drivers for the
machine.

If it doesn't, you will definitely have problems.