Partition for Vista

George

Partition for Vista
What is the ideal size partition for Vista, without being too dysfunctionally
small or wastefully too large?
Rock

Re: Partition for Vista
"George" wrote
> What is the ideal size partition for Vista, without being too
> dysfunctionally
> small or wastefully too large?

There is no ideal. That said I recommend at least 30GB.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

...winston

Re: Partition for Vista
Size is relative only to one's installed o/s, software, and data storage requirement(s).
I use 40GB for Vista and software applications installed to the same drive knowing full well that it will rarely, if ever in the immediate future exceed much more than 12-20MB based on past experience.
- All data, music(Windows Media and Itunes), software(3rd party apps, utilities etc), required drivers, pictures, setup files, and images reside on different partitions and external drives.
..winston

"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1004EA24-D739-4C54-99B4-193D69BE1215@microsoft.com...
: What is the ideal size partition for Vista, without being too dysfunctionally
: small or wastefully too large?
George

Re: Partition for Vista
I believe you’re quite right Rock
http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/Sy...pict40966.html
I’ll give it 44G (I like the shape of this nr and is a reasonable chance
that I’ll even remember it, eventually) considering all the updates and the
other apps that like to write at system’s folders.
Is possible to have XP on the same partition (much larger of course) or it
will have to have its own partition?

"Rock" wrote:

> "George" wrote
> > What is the ideal size partition for Vista, without being too
> > dysfunctionally
> > small or wastefully too large?

> There is no ideal. That said I recommend at least 30GB.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Partition for Vista
>I believe you’re quite right Rock
> http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/Sy...pict40966.html
> I’ll give it 44G (I like the shape of this nr and is a reasonable chance
> that I’ll even remember it, eventually) considering all the updates and
> the
> other apps that like to write at system’s folders.
> Is possible to have XP on the same partition (much larger of course) or it
> will have to have its own partition?
>

> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> "George" wrote
>> > What is the ideal size partition for Vista, without being too
>> > dysfunctionally
>> > small or wastefully too large?

>> There is no ideal. That said I recommend at least 30GB.

Always install different OS's to their own volume.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

George

Re: Partition for Vista
I was referring at the size needs created by all the other hangers-on (apps
that write at systems folder no matter what.)
40 sounds about right

"...winston" wrote:

> Size is relative only to one's installed o/s, software, and data storage requirement(s).
> I use 40GB for Vista and software applications installed to the same drive knowing full well that it will rarely, if ever in the immediate future exceed much more than 12-20MB based on past experience.
> - All data, music(Windows Media and Itunes), software(3rd party apps, utilities etc), required drivers, pictures, setup files, and images reside on different partitions and external drives.
> ..winston
>

> "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1004EA24-D739-4C54-99B4-193D69BE1215@microsoft.com...
> : What is the ideal size partition for Vista, without being too dysfunctionally
> : small or wastefully too large?

mikeyhsd

Re: Partition for Vista
20 GB is bare minimum as vista requires in the neighborhood of 12-15gb to install.
leaving a little left over for installing programs.
if you have a TON of stuff to install increase the size accordingly.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1004EA24-D739-4C54-99B4-193D69BE1215@microsoft.com...
What is the ideal size partition for Vista, without being too dysfunctionally
small or wastefully too large?
George

Re: Partition for Vista
Did you find any issues with applications that insist on installing
themselves in C drive as opposed to other drive letter? For someone who has
yet another separate partition for a XP-dual boot, I’d imagine that would
make it even more complicated for some apps?!

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> 20 GB is bare minimum as vista requires in the neighborhood of 12-15gb to install.
> leaving a little left over for installing programs.
> if you have a TON of stuff to install increase the size accordingly.
>

> mikeyhsd@comcast.net
>

> "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1004EA24-D739-4C54-99B4-193D69BE1215@microsoft.com...
> What is the ideal size partition for Vista, without being too dysfunctionally
> small or wastefully too large?

mikeyhsd

Re: Partition for Vista
none at all.
in some cases the vista and xp install have the same program installed in the same location but they all have some parts on their boot drive and their own registry.
the ones I chose to do that with do not keep data within the install folder so there is no conflict.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> 20 GB is bare minimum as vista requires in the neighborhood of 12-15gb to install.
> leaving a little left over for installing programs.
> if you have a TON of stuff to install increase the size accordingly.
>

> mikeyhsd@comcast.net
>

> "George" <George@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1004EA24-D739-4C54-99B4-193D69BE1215@microsoft.com...
> What is the ideal size partition for Vista, without being too dysfunctionally
> small or wastefully too large?

George

Re: Partition for Vista
sorry mikey, i didn't realy get that last sentance...!!!