vista key

drumstick

vista key
i bought a hp notebook with vista already installed 2 months ago. now im
getting a disk error read and need to reinstall vista. but they didnt give me
any kind of recovery disks, and i didnt make one either. i was wondering if i
can download a copy of vista, and if i can use the product key thats on my
notebook?
Richard Urban

Re: vista key
Not likely!

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"drumstick" <drumstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i bought a hp notebook with vista already installed 2 months ago. now im
> getting a disk error read and need to reinstall vista. but they didnt give
> me
> any kind of recovery disks, and i didnt make one either. i was wondering
> if i
> can download a copy of vista, and if i can use the product key thats on my
> notebook?

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: vista key
Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows Vista:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...me=c008147 31

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

---------------------------------------------------------------------------┬*-----

"drumstick" wrote:

i bought a hp notebook with vista already installed 2 months ago. now im
getting a disk error read and need to reinstall vista. but they didnt give me
any kind of recovery disks, and i didnt make one either. i was wondering if i
can download a copy of vista, and if i can use the product key thats on my
notebook?

Rock

Re: vista key
"drumstick" wrote>
i bought a hp notebook with vista already installed 2 months ago. now im
> getting a disk error read and need to reinstall vista. but they didnt give
> me
> any kind of recovery disks, and i didnt make one either. i was wondering
> if i
> can download a copy of vista, and if i can use the product key thats on my
> notebook?

Contact HP tech support for information on how to restore the OS.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rick Rogers

Re: vista key
Hi,

No, your OEM key will not work with a retail disk. If you didn't make the
recovery disk set and cannot boot far enough to invoke the recovery options,
then call HP support and have them send you a set of disks (you will be
charged a nominal fee that you could have avoided by making your own when
you got the system). HP support contact:
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact_us.html

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"drumstick" <drumstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i bought a hp notebook with vista already installed 2 months ago. now im
> getting a disk error read and need to reinstall vista. but they didnt give
> me
> any kind of recovery disks, and i didnt make one either. i was wondering
> if i
> can download a copy of vista, and if i can use the product key thats on my
> notebook?

Bruce Chambers

Re: vista key
drumstick wrote:
> i bought a hp notebook with vista already installed 2 months ago. now im
> getting a disk error read and need to reinstall vista. but they didnt give me
> any kind of recovery disks, and i didnt make one either. i was wondering if i
> can download a copy of vista,

No.

>.... and if i can use the product key thats on my
> notebook?

And no.

Contact HP for alternate recovery methods, since you neglected to
create the Recovery disks when you had the chance.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm