Vista install won't run under XP

Karl

Vista install won't run under XP
Hello,

I'm trying to install Vista Ultimate as an upgrade to XP Pro. I've tried to
launch the install routine under XP SP1 and SP2. In both cases the install
routine tells me it can't run under this operating system and that I need to
boot from the CD. However, if I boot from the CD the upgrade option is
disabled.

Can anyone tell me why setup won't run under either XP SP1 or SP2 - and how
I could perform this upgrade?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Karl
Mr. Arnold

Re: Vista install won't run under XP

"Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install Vista Ultimate as an upgrade to XP Pro. I've tried
> launch the install routine under XP SP1 and SP2. In both cases the install
> routine tells me it can't run under this operating system and that I need
> boot from the CD. However, if I boot from the CD the upgrade option is
> disabled.
>
> Can anyone tell me why setup won't run under either XP SP1 or SP2 - and
> how
> I could perform this upgrade?
>
> Any help much appreciated.

Well if you don't get answer, you can call MS tech support, since you have
180 days of free support with the purchase of Vista.

Mike Brannigan

Re: Vista install won't run under XP
"Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install Vista Ultimate as an upgrade to XP Pro. I've tried
> launch the install routine under XP SP1 and SP2. In both cases the install
> routine tells me it can't run under this operating system and that I need
> boot from the CD. However, if I boot from the CD the upgrade option is
> disabled.
>
> Can anyone tell me why setup won't run under either XP SP1 or SP2 - and
> how
> I could perform this upgrade?
>
> Any help much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Karl

I bet you are trying to install the x64 64-bit version of Vista.
You cannot upgrade from the 32-bit XP to 64-bit Vista only clean install
is possible.
--

Mike Brannigan

"Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message
> "Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to install Vista Ultimate as an upgrade to XP Pro. I've tried
>> launch the install routine under XP SP1 and SP2. In both cases the
>> install
>> routine tells me it can't run under this operating system and that I need
>> boot from the CD. However, if I boot from the CD the upgrade option is
>> disabled.
>>
>> Can anyone tell me why setup won't run under either XP SP1 or SP2 - and
>> how
>> I could perform this upgrade?
>>
>> Any help much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Karl

> I bet you are trying to install the x64 64-bit version of Vista.
> You cannot upgrade from the 32-bit XP to 64-bit Vista only clean install
> is possible.

Vista Ultimate over Premium upgrade didn't work for awhile. It just blew-up
when the setup was ran, then it just took off on my last attempt to get the
thing to run. The upgrade was done.

Rock

Re: Vista install won't run under XP
"Karl" wrote
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install Vista Ultimate as an upgrade to XP Pro. I've tried
> launch the install routine under XP SP1 and SP2. In both cases the install
> routine tells me it can't run under this operating system and that I need
> boot from the CD. However, if I boot from the CD the upgrade option is
> disabled.
>
> Can anyone tell me why setup won't run under either XP SP1 or SP2 - and
> how
> I could perform this upgrade?

What version of Vista are you trying to upgrade to? OEM or retail? 32bit
or 64bit?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Karl

RE: Vista install won't run under XP
Doh! You're all right, I was trying to install the 64-bit version.

The package I bought came with two versions, 32-bit and 64-bit. Each has its
own serial number. Does that mean I can use both?

news606DBEC-BC1E-47DC-8DBC-5FD3857CB092@microsoft.com...
> Doh! You're all right, I was trying to install the 64-bit version.
>
> The package I bought came with two versions, 32-bit and 64-bit. Each has
> its
> own serial number. Does that mean I can use both?

You don't know if you have a 32 bit processor/CPU or a 64 bit processor/CPU
on the computer?

HSS

Re: Vista install won't run under XP
So let me get this strait- I've got an HP laptop that came with 32bit VISTA
Home Premium - I've got an AMD Turion 64bit X2 processor and I cannot
upgrade to 64bit VISTA?
I've already sunk $160 bucks into the 32bit upgrade and cannot get that
reversed at all......

"HSS" <harry.simpson@phgt.net> wrote in message
> So let me get this strait- I've got an HP laptop that came with 32bit
> VISTA Home Premium - I've got an AMD Turion 64bit X2 processor and I
> cannot upgrade to 64bit VISTA?
> I've already sunk $160 bucks into the 32bit upgrade and cannot get that
> reversed at all......

Yes you can upgrade.
If you have the 32bit version of Home Premium - you could upgrade to the x64
(64-bit) Vista Ultimate or Home Premium , but it would be a clean install
so you would have to backup your data and reinstall your applications.

What is your actual question or issue?

--

Mike Brannigan
"HSS" <harry.simpson@phgt.net> wrote in message
> So let me get this strait- I've got an HP laptop that came with 32bit
> VISTA Home Premium - I've got an AMD Turion 64bit X2 processor and I
> cannot upgrade to 64bit VISTA?
> I've already sunk $160 bucks into the 32bit upgrade and cannot get that
> reversed at all......
>

> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Karl" <Karl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news606DBEC-BC1E-47DC-8DBC-5FD3857CB092@microsoft.com...
>>> Doh! You're all right, I was trying to install the 64-bit version.
>>>
>>> The package I bought came with two versions, 32-bit and 64-bit. Each has
>>> its
>>> own serial number. Does that mean I can use both?

>> You don't know if you have a 32 bit processor/CPU or a 64 bit
>> processor/CPU on the computer?

Don

HSS wrote:
> So let me get this strait- I've got an HP laptop that came with 32bit VISTA
> Home Premium - I've got an AMD Turion 64bit X2 processor and I cannot
> upgrade to 64bit VISTA?
> I've already sunk $160 bucks into the 32bit upgrade and cannot get that
> reversed at all......

A note of caution: a number of people in these groups are warning that
64-bit Vista is very poorly supported by hardware makers, so there is a
good reason the machine came with 32-bit installed.