Can I install vista on a new computer after it's been activated?

Ben

Can I install vista on a new computer after it's been activated?
If I install vista on my current machine, and then in a year or so build a
new machine (scrapping the old one, not re-selling it w/ vista installed), am
I able to activate the copy of vista on that new machine? I figure microsoft
has to allow this because, it is similar to a situation I had with XP where
my old machine died and I had to throw it on a new one. It worked then (no
complaints from M$) but I'm curious if vista's new anti-piracy thing will be
a problem. Once again, I'm not asking to run it on two machines, just switch
from one machine to another. Thanks!
Tim

Re: Can I install vista on a new computer after it's been activated?
The answer depends on the type of Vista license you have. If it is an "OEM"
license, then no, you cannot install it on a different PC...even if you
destroy the old PC. They (MS) tie the OEM license to the motherboard it was
originally installed on.

If you purchased a retail license, then yes, you can install it on a
different PC as long as the original PC is no longer using that license. You
may have to phone in the activation and explain your situation but it's
fairly painless.

Tim

"Ben" <Ben@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> If I install vista on my current machine, and then in a year or so build a
> new machine (scrapping the old one, not re-selling it w/ vista installed),
> am
> I able to activate the copy of vista on that new machine? I figure
> microsoft
> has to allow this because, it is similar to a situation I had with XP
> where
> my old machine died and I had to throw it on a new one. It worked then (no
> complaints from M$) but I'm curious if vista's new anti-piracy thing will
> be
> a problem. Once again, I'm not asking to run it on two machines, just
> switch
> from one machine to another. Thanks!

Rock

Re: Can I install vista on a new computer after it's been activated?
"Ben" wrote
> If I install vista on my current machine, and then in a year or so build a
> new machine (scrapping the old one, not re-selling it w/ vista installed),
> am
> I able to activate the copy of vista on that new machine? I figure
> microsoft
> has to allow this because, it is similar to a situation I had with XP
> where
> my old machine died and I had to throw it on a new one. It worked then (no
> complaints from M$) but I'm curious if vista's new anti-piracy thing will
> be
> a problem. Once again, I'm not asking to run it on two machines, just
> switch
> from one machine to another. Thanks!

The devil is in the details. Is it OEM or retail? If OEM, no. If Retail,
Yes.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Ben

Re: Can I install vista on a new computer after it's been activate
I'll be buying it through my university at their student rate so I'm assuming
it will be OEM... fantastic!
Tim

Re: Can I install vista on a new computer after it's been activate
Not sure if your "fantastic" was facetious or not...I would prefer a retail
version over OEM given your original question. When my children were in
college, they were able to purchase WinXP at the reduced price. It was not
an OEM license.