Absolutely MUST install via Battery - Help please?

Dec!mus

Absolutely MUST install via Battery - Help please?
Hello, Im currently running Vista Ultimate Beta Edition. My Beta will run out
in about 9 days.

I bought Windows Vista Business Edition at my bookstore. (for 75$ because of
the microsft student discount)

It wont let upgrade when booting from the disc, instead wants to do a clean
install.

When installing from within vista, it warns me that I cannot install via
battery.

My Sony VAIO notebook has a glitchy power port, and does not make a good
connection so the battery indicator is always flashing from plugged in to not
plugged in (constantly)

it appears impossible for me to get a solid enough "plugged in" signal to
the computer to let vista install.

When installing from Battery power it should be fine (I have 3 hours of
battery life on High settings) but it wont let. me.

Ther HAS to be some sort of command line extension that will let me install
it from battery.

My other guess would be to backup the data, and do a clean install via the
boot from CD option.

Please help. After the 9 days are up my computer will be useless.
Tim

Re: Absolutely MUST install via Battery - Help please?
It seems to me you are putting your energy into solving the wrong problem.
If I were you , I would work on repairing or replacing your power supply.
Even if Vista allowed you to install while on battery power, there wouldn't
be any battery juice left to actually use the PC.

I know that doesn't answer your question directly...but my guess is that
there is no such "switch". Regardless...you are always better off doing a
clean install of the OS versus an upgrade. Typically, you will end up with a
more stable system. It's clearly more work, but I think it's worth it.

Tim

"Dec!mus" <Decmus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello, Im currently running Vista Ultimate Beta Edition. My Beta will run
> out
> in about 9 days.
>
> I bought Windows Vista Business Edition at my bookstore. (for 75$ because
> of
> the microsft student discount)
>
> It wont let upgrade when booting from the disc, instead wants to do a
> clean
> install.
>
> When installing from within vista, it warns me that I cannot install via
> battery.
>
> My Sony VAIO notebook has a glitchy power port, and does not make a good
> connection so the battery indicator is always flashing from plugged in to
> not
> plugged in (constantly)
>
> it appears impossible for me to get a solid enough "plugged in" signal to
> the computer to let vista install.
>
> When installing from Battery power it should be fine (I have 3 hours of
> battery life on High settings) but it wont let. me.
>
> Ther HAS to be some sort of command line extension that will let me
> install
> it from battery.
>
> My other guess would be to backup the data, and do a clean install via the
> boot from CD option.
>
> Please help. After the 9 days are up my computer will be useless.

Rock

Re: Absolutely MUST install via Battery - Help please?
"Dec!mus" wrote
> Hello, Im currently running Vista Ultimate Beta Edition. My Beta will run
> out
> in about 9 days.
>
> I bought Windows Vista Business Edition at my bookstore. (for 75$ because
> of
> the microsft student discount)
>
> It wont let upgrade when booting from the disc, instead wants to do a
> clean
> install.
>
> When installing from within vista, it warns me that I cannot install via
> battery.
>
> My Sony VAIO notebook has a glitchy power port, and does not make a good
> connection so the battery indicator is always flashing from plugged in to
> not
> plugged in (constantly)
>
> it appears impossible for me to get a solid enough "plugged in" signal to
> the computer to let vista install.
>
> When installing from Battery power it should be fine (I have 3 hours of
> battery life on High settings) but it wont let. me.
>
> Ther HAS to be some sort of command line extension that will let me
> install
> it from battery.
>
> My other guess would be to backup the data, and do a clean install via the
> boot from CD option.
>
> Please help. After the 9 days are up my computer will be useless.

You can't do an in place upgrade from a Beta Ultimate to RTM Business. For
that you would need RTM Ultimate.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rick Rogers

Re: Absolutely MUST install via Battery - Help please?
Address the real problem: fix the power port first. This safeguard is in
place for a reason, as an install is very intense and the power will drain
much quicker than it would under normal use. There is no bypass that I know
of. If the power runs out during setup, the system will have no time to save
work in progress and you will likely see a major corruption of the system
file set and possibly cause physical damage to the hardware.

Procrastination is not your friend, it is your enemy. It helps you create
your own emergencies.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/