Dual boot on a Pre-installed Vista

vistanewbie

Dual boot on a Pre-installed Vista
Hello,
I bought this laptop which came pre-installed with Windows Vista Home
Premium. I use this laptop for both business and personal. Some of my
personal training softwares aren't available for Vista, so I decided to
install XP Home as a dual boot, and every time I try to install XP, I get the
following error.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your
computer. If this
screen appears again, follow these steps:

check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in
the stop message,disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver
updates. Try changing video adapters.

check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory
options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove
or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced
Startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:

**STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xF76120BF,0xF7A5E208,0xF7A5DF08)

*** pci.sys - address F76120BF base at F760B000, datestamp 3b7d855c

This is what I have done so far:
1) Disabled all PCI drivers, still wouldn't let me install XP
2) update the BIOS, no luck
3) tried to install XP on a brand new Hard drive (no traces of Vista),
didn't work.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Rock

Re: Dual boot on a Pre-installed Vista
"vistanewbie" wrote
> Hello,
> I bought this laptop which came pre-installed with Windows Vista Home
> Premium. I use this laptop for both business and personal. Some of my
> personal training softwares aren't available for Vista, so I decided to
> install XP Home as a dual boot, and every time I try to install XP, I get
> the
> following error.
>
> A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
> damage
> to your computer
>
> If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your
> computer. If this
> screen appears again, follow these steps:
>
> check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified
> in
> the stop message,disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for
> driver
> updates. Try changing video adapters.
>
> check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory
> options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to
> remove
> or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced
> Startup options, and then select safe mode.
>
> Technical information:
>
> **STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xF76120BF,0xF7A5E208,0xF7A5DF08)
>
> *** pci.sys - address F76120BF base at F760B000, datestamp 3b7d855c
>

> This is what I have done so far:
> 1) Disabled all PCI drivers, still wouldn't let me install XP
> 2) update the BIOS, no luck
> 3) tried to install XP on a brand new Hard drive (no traces of Vista),
> didn't work.

More details needed. What is the hardware? How are you trying to install
XP? Did you partition the drive? If so how? Where are you trying to
install XP?

Do you know this laptop supports XP? Some manufacturer's are not providing
XP drivers for new laptops. Did you check on the laptop manufactuer's web
site for info on installing XP?

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

vistanewbie

Re: Dual boot on a Pre-installed Vista
What is the hardware?
This is a Lenovo laptop, with SATA hard drive.
MAT****A DVD-RAM UJ-850 ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

FUJITSU MHV2120BH PL [Hard drive] (120.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n NW9ST7428HRA,
rev 0084002A, SMART Status: Healthy
Memorex TD Classic 003C USB Device [Hard drive] (1.03 GB) -- drive 1

====Controllers======
ATA Channel 0 [Controller]
ATA Channel 1 [Controller]
Intel(R) 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C4
Ricoh Memory Stick Controller
Ricoh MMC Host Controller
Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller

=====other devices======
RICOH OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Microsoft AC Adapter
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Synaptics PS/2 Port Pointing Device [Mouse]
SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
SM bios service
SM bus service
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub (5x)
Generic volume shadow copy
TD Classic 003C

How are you trying to install XP?
I have tried to install XP in C: on a brand new Hard drive for volume
license XP cd. - didn't work
And also tried installing XP partition E: with Vista in C: - didn't work

Did you partition the drive? If so how?
YES, this is a brand new hard drive.

Where are you trying to install XP?
On C:

I was told by Lenovo customer support, that i need to change the SATA drive
from 'ACHI' to 'Compatiblity' mode in the BIOS for me to install XP. But the
problem is, Lenovo 3000 N100 laptops does not let you change the mode (that
feature is missing in the BIOS). Lenovo just refused to help me, because I'm
trying to install XP on a factory installed Vista machine. So, is this what
is stopping me from installing XP???

I was by customer support that this machine does supports XP, only if I
change the SATA drive to "compatibilty" mode. So, is there any other way to
do this?

"Rock" wrote:

> "vistanewbie" wrote
> > Hello,
> > I bought this laptop which came pre-installed with Windows Vista Home
> > Premium. I use this laptop for both business and personal. Some of my
> > personal training softwares aren't available for Vista, so I decided to
> > install XP Home as a dual boot, and every time I try to install XP, I get
> > the
> > following error.
> >
> > A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent
> > damage
> > to your computer
> >
> > If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your
> > computer. If this
> > screen appears again, follow these steps:
> >
> > check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified
> > in
> > the stop message,disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for
> > driver
> > updates. Try changing video adapters.
> >
> > check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory
> > options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to
> > remove
> > or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced
> > Startup options, and then select safe mode.
> >
> > Technical information:
> >
> > **STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005,0xF76120BF,0xF7A5E208,0xF7A5DF08)
> >
> > *** pci.sys - address F76120BF base at F760B000, datestamp 3b7d855c
> >

> > This is what I have done so far:
> > 1) Disabled all PCI drivers, still wouldn't let me install XP
> > 2) update the BIOS, no luck
> > 3) tried to install XP on a brand new Hard drive (no traces of Vista),
> > didn't work.

> More details needed. What is the hardware? How are you trying to install
> XP? Did you partition the drive? If so how? Where are you trying to
> install XP?
>
> Do you know this laptop supports XP? Some manufacturer's are not providing
> XP drivers for new laptops. Did you check on the laptop manufactuer's web
> site for info on installing XP?
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

vistanewbie