Dead XP Pro after dual-booting with Vista

Bill Clark

Dead XP Pro after dual-booting with Vista
Windows XP Pro installed on an 80gb NTFS hard drive. I used PM8 to reduce
that primary partion by 20gb for a Vista dual-boot. Rebooted the machine w/
Vista Business FULL in the drive, installed fine into the newly created
partition. Upon reboot, got the Windows Boot Manager w/ the 2 options,
selected the Vista option and performed all the available upgrades and it
worked fine. Now when I reboot and select the WinXP boot option, the system
just hangs. I've tried pressing F8 after selecting WinXP and I can get the
menu, but SAFE MODE doesn't work, it hangs also. Vista partition is still
working just fine, any ideas on howto fix?

Bill

Don

Re: Dead XP Pro after dual-booting with Vista
Bill Clark wrote:
> Windows XP Pro installed on an 80gb NTFS hard drive. I used PM8 to reduce
> that primary partion by 20gb for a Vista dual-boot. Rebooted the machine w/
> Vista Business FULL in the drive, installed fine into the newly created
> partition. Upon reboot, got the Windows Boot Manager w/ the 2 options,
> selected the Vista option and performed all the available upgrades and it
> worked fine. Now when I reboot and select the WinXP boot option, the system
> just hangs. I've tried pressing F8 after selecting WinXP and I can get the
> menu, but SAFE MODE doesn't work, it hangs also. Vista partition is still
> working just fine, any ideas on howto fix?

Is the XP partition visible from Vista? Can you check the XP filesystem
from Vista?

Bill Clark

Re: Dead XP Pro after dual-booting with Vista
Yes, I can see the partition and interact with files & folders.

Bill Clark wrote:
> Yes, I can see the partition and interact with files & folders.
>
> "Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Bill Clark wrote:
>>> Windows XP Pro installed on an 80gb NTFS hard drive. I used PM8 to
>>> reduce that primary partion by 20gb for a Vista dual-boot. Rebooted the
>>> machine w/ Vista Business FULL in the drive, installed fine into the
>>> newly created partition. Upon reboot, got the Windows Boot Manager w/
>>> the 2 options, selected the Vista option and performed all the available
>>> upgrades and it worked fine. Now when I reboot and select the WinXP boot
>>> option, the system just hangs. I've tried pressing F8 after selecting
>>> WinXP and I can get the menu, but SAFE MODE doesn't work, it hangs also.
>>> Vista partition is still working just fine, any ideas on howto fix?

>> Is the XP partition visible from Vista? Can you check the XP filesystem
>> from Vista?

I would install VistaBootPro from vistabootpro.org and run its
diagnostics utility.

Bill Clark

Re: Dead XP Pro after dual-booting with Vista
Tried that, it doesn't detect that anything is wrong. I may just try it all
over again.

Bill

> Bill Clark wrote:
>> Yes, I can see the partition and interact with files & folders.
>>
>> "Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Is the XP partition visible from Vista? Can you check the XP filesystem
>>> from Vista?

> I would install VistaBootPro from vistabootpro.org and run its diagnostics
> utility.

Rock

Re: Dead XP Pro after dual-booting with Vista
"Bill Clark" <nospam@here.com> wrote
> Tried that, it doesn't detect that anything is wrong. I may just try it
> all over again.

> Bill
>
> "Don" wrote
>> Bill Clark wrote:
>>> Yes, I can see the partition and interact with files & folders.

>>> "Don" wrote

>> I would install VistaBootPro from vistabootpro.org and run its
>> diagnostics utility.

Don't use Partition Magic to create the Vista partition. Vista doesn't like
it. Delete that partition, leave the space unallocated, and allow Vista to
set up the partition.

I can't say for sure that's the resolution but it's worth a try. Vista does
not like partitions created by PM.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

...winston

Re: Dead XP Pro after dual-booting with Vista
Good advice..
Also it may be important to note that once Vista creates the proper partition on its side of the fence and later use of PM in XP may provide a prompt that an error was found on the Vista partition and offer to repair the length of the partition table .

Unless one plans to start over<g>....Click No...i.e. Do not repair.

..winston

::
:
: I can't say for sure that's the resolution but it's worth a try. Vista does
: not like partitions created by PM.
:
: --
: Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
:
Bill Clark

Re: Dead XP Pro after dual-booting with Vista
OK, started over, wiped out all partitons, etc.. created on 90GB partition
that now has Windows XP Pro installed on it. Still want to dual-boot w/
Vista. If I boot from the Vista DVD, and goto install it, will I get the
custom install option and I can then partition in there? I remember seeing
that one another system that I was testing a while back. Vista setup has
it's own partitioning tools in it's setup? Thanks

Bill

"...winston" <merlin@druid9#.com> wrote in message
[...]

Upgrade retail Cd or full retail cd ?
I'm familiar with the latter, yes.
..winston

"Bill Clark" <billclark@not_here.com> wrote in message news:%23vMhq$UnHHA.2296@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
[...]
:::
:: Don't use Partition Magic to create the Vista partition. Vista doesn't
: like
:: it. Delete that partition, leave the space unallocated, and allow Vista
:: set up the partition.
::
:: I can't say for sure that's the resolution but it's worth a try. Vista
: does
:: not like partitions created by PM.
::
:: --
:: Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]
::
:
:
Bill Clark

Re: Dead XP Pro after dual-booting with Vista
This is a Full retail version of Vista Business. Anyway, taking Partition
Magic out of the equation and using the GParted program as specified in this
tutorial fixed my problem.
http://apcmag.com/5023/dual_booting_xp_with_vista All is well with both
options fully up and running. Thanks to all who helped!!