6 Hard Drives with 3 TBs ok in Vista?

xiowan

6 Hard Drives with 3 TBs ok in Vista?
Hello:
I have ordered a new P182 Antec case that will hold 6 hard drives and
want to increase my storage capacity to 3 TBs. I think there was a limit of
2 TBs in MCE2005 but I wondered if I can use more in Vista? I am already
approaching 2 TBs in my Vista pc and want to add 2 more hard drives. If
possible, how would I go about increasing the capacity in Vista?

DAVE

Rock

Re: 6 Hard Drives with 3 TBs ok in Vista?
"xiowan" wrote
> Hello:
> I have ordered a new P182 Antec case that will hold 6 hard drives and
> want to increase my storage capacity to 3 TBs. I think there was a limit
> of
> 2 TBs in MCE2005 but I wondered if I can use more in Vista? I am already
> approaching 2 TBs in my Vista pc and want to add 2 more hard drives. If
> possible, how would I go about increasing the capacity in Vista?

There is no practical limit to the total capacity you can have on all
drives. For an individual NTFS formatted volume there is a limit to the
size of the volume (Exabyte range) but you are not near that limit.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Bill Yanaire

Backup?
If you need that much space, how are you going to backup all that data?

"xiowan" <xiowan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello:
> I have ordered a new P182 Antec case that will hold 6 hard drives and
> want to increase my storage capacity to 3 TBs. I think there was a limit
> of
> 2 TBs in MCE2005 but I wondered if I can use more in Vista? I am already
> approaching 2 TBs in my Vista pc and want to add 2 more hard drives. If
> possible, how would I go about increasing the capacity in Vista?
>
> DAVE

xiowan

Re: 6 Hard Drives with 3 TBs ok in Vista?
Hello Rock:
Thanks for the quick answer! That's good news..........I think I am
beginning to like Vista!

Dave

"Rock" wrote:

> "xiowan" wrote
> > Hello:
> > I have ordered a new P182 Antec case that will hold 6 hard drives and
> > want to increase my storage capacity to 3 TBs. I think there was a limit
> > of
> > 2 TBs in MCE2005 but I wondered if I can use more in Vista? I am already
> > approaching 2 TBs in my Vista pc and want to add 2 more hard drives. If
> > possible, how would I go about increasing the capacity in Vista?

> There is no practical limit to the total capacity you can have on all
> drives. For an individual NTFS formatted volume there is a limit to the
> size of the volume (Exabyte range) but you are not near that limit.
>
> --
> Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

xiowan

RE: Backup?
Hello Bill Yanaire:
The data is mostly standard definitiion recorded tv movies and my
drives are warranted for 5 years. The content only has to last until my 3
standard definition tvs wear out lol! I guess I could back them up to VCR
tapes though!

Dave

"Bill Yanaire" wrote:

> If you need that much space, how are you going to backup all that data?
>

> "xiowan" <xiowan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello:
> > I have ordered a new P182 Antec case that will hold 6 hard drives and
> > want to increase my storage capacity to 3 TBs. I think there was a limit
> > of
> > 2 TBs in MCE2005 but I wondered if I can use more in Vista? I am already
> > approaching 2 TBs in my Vista pc and want to add 2 more hard drives. If
> > possible, how would I go about increasing the capacity in Vista?
> >
> > DAVE

Rock

Re: 6 Hard Drives with 3 TBs ok in Vista?
"xiowan" wrote
> Hello Rock:
> Thanks for the quick answer! That's good news..........I think I am
> beginning to like Vista!

<snip>

You're welcome.
--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Rock

Re: Backup?
"xiowan" wrote
> Hello Bill Yanaire:
> The data is mostly standard definitiion recorded tv movies and my
> drives are warranted for 5 years. The content only has to last until my 3
> standard definition tvs wear out lol! I guess I could back them up to VCR
> tapes though!

> "Bill Yanaire" wrote:
>
>> If you need that much space, how are you going to backup all that data?

<snip>

Warranty on the drives is irrelevant. Hardware failure can occur at any
time. If the data is important it should be backed up.

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

xiowan

Re: Backup?
Hello again Rock:
I have the operating system & my important data on a Raid 5 volume.
The balance of those drives and the other drives is not backed up since it
would be unwise to spend the money to back up recorded tv movies. Thanks for
the reminder though.........with so many drives, failure becomes more likely.

Dave