Visual Studio asks permission

Ben Dover

Visual Studio asks permission
I have installed Windows Vista Ultimate on my computer this afternoon (clean
install) then I installed Visual Studio, then the Visual Studio Service
Pack, then the Visual Studio Service Pack for Vista. When I click on the
Icon on the desktop, I get a message each time "User Access Control" , A
Program needs your permission to continue", for which I say yes.

I have checked the properties of the program (right click on the ICON) and
under the Compatibility tab, I have clicked "Run this program as
administrator", then on the Security tab, under the "Groups or User Names"
there is listed, "System", "Ben", and "Administrator" with the following
rights, Full Control, Modify, Read & Execute, Read, Write, Special
Permissions - All checked.

What am I missing to be able to click on this EXE file to be able to run
without the UAC asking each time?

Thanks for any help

dmex

Re: Visual Studio asks permission

When you select the file properties and goto compatibility, at the
bottom of that tab there should be a button that says "show settings
for all users" click it and select "run program as administrator"
If that doesnt work goto where the visual studio SDK is installed and
on the main executable goto properties and do the same "rus as admin" on
both tabs.

There are some more options to try if this doesnt work for you, let me
know how you go.

--
dmex
Ben Dover

Re: Visual Studio asks permission
I did click on the Compatibility tab and I did click "run program as
Administrator" as stated in my original message, but I checked the Program
files and there is no Visual Studio SDK installed.

If you have any other options to try I would appreciate them.

Thanks very much.....

"dmex" <dmex.2qwy3j@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> When you select the file properties and goto compatibility, at the
> bottom of that tab there should be a button that says "show settings
> for all users" click it and select "run program as administrator"
> If that doesnt work goto where the visual studio SDK is installed and
> on the main executable goto properties and do the same "rus as admin" on
> both tabs.
>
> There are some more options to try if this doesnt work for you, let me
> know how you go.
>

> --
> dmex

dmex

Re: Visual Studio asks permission

Im not sure how to force vista to make a program run with true user
permissions, I doubt microsft will ever make UAC run under a real admin
account like sudo does its archaic and some parts completely temporary
and most programs cant handle it.

my 2 cents...UAC is not needed for anyone who knows what there doing on
there PC, its just too damm anoying with all the requests for program
permissions and the amout of programs that will fail is enormous because
UAC emulates file and registry settings these programs are trying to
use.

Personally I use the built-in administrator account with UAC turned
off, I have yet to have any problems with most programs because they run
like normal.
Untill new programs are written that dont need insane permissions for
what they do *(games)* theres just no reason to have UAC especially if
you know what its doing.

--
dmex
dmex

Re: Visual Studio asks permission

I wasnt going to install visual sudio on here becuase its a test machine
but decided to give it a try....I can see the types of problems you are
having and after reading both pages on the links below im pissed off
microsoft would leave there developers with a buggy compiler for a brand
new OS... its fckn insane

This page... (link) 'Visual Studio Issues on Windows Vista – Normal
User Permissions'
(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa972193.aspx)

And this page....(link) 'Visual Studio Issues on Windows Vista –
Elevated Permissions'
(http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa964140.aspx)

--
dmex
Web Advisor

RE: Visual Studio asks permission
Ben Try This, it worked for me.

Try reinstalling Visual Studio again, but this time right the setup.exe and
run as administrator, it should install all the files this time.