Activaton of a upgrade using a clean install

doubledragon5

Activaton of a upgrade using a clean install
I purchased Home Premium upgrade, because the store I purchased it from ran
out of the full version.. Because I'm not ready to boot XP I decided to do a
clean install of Vista on my second harddrive.. Put when I went to activate
it it said something like the license is for upgrade not a clean install..
Why has microsoft did away with the ability to do a clean install with the
upgrade version and won't let you activate it..
Rick Rogers

Re: Activaton of a upgrade using a clean install
Because it was abused by too many and not used for the intended purpose: To
upgrade an existing installation. Apparently Microsoft felt that you should
use a full version for a clean install to a formatted drive. The upgrade
version will, by the way, do a clean install using the custom option, but it
still needs to start from within a qualifying OS and does wipe out the
existing one.

You can, by the way, do a clean install with an upgrade disk by installing
twice. The first time don't use the Product Key, then restart from within
the completed installation and use the key the second time. Whether you do
this or install a qualifying OS first, you still have to do two
installation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"doubledragon5" <doubledragon5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased Home Premium upgrade, because the store I purchased it from ran
> out of the full version.. Because I'm not ready to boot XP I decided to do
> clean install of Vista on my second harddrive.. Put when I went to
> activate
> it it said something like the license is for upgrade not a clean install..
> Why has microsoft did away with the ability to do a clean install with the
> upgrade version and won't let you activate it..

doubledragon5

Re: Activaton of a upgrade using a clean install
Thanks rick, but I tried that option of installing it a second time and it
did not good.. When i tried to install on the same drive "d" inserted the key
and it said i need to start from within an exsisting copy or something like
that... Could this be because it recognizes my "c" drive with xp all ready on
it...

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Because it was abused by too many and not used for the intended purpose: To
> upgrade an existing installation. Apparently Microsoft felt that you should
> use a full version for a clean install to a formatted drive. The upgrade
> version will, by the way, do a clean install using the custom option, but it
> still needs to start from within a qualifying OS and does wipe out the
> existing one.
>
> You can, by the way, do a clean install with an upgrade disk by installing
> twice. The first time don't use the Product Key, then restart from within
> the completed installation and use the key the second time. Whether you do
> this or install a qualifying OS first, you still have to do two
> installation.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "doubledragon5" <doubledragon5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I purchased Home Premium upgrade, because the store I purchased it from ran
> > out of the full version.. Because I'm not ready to boot XP I decided to do
> > clean install of Vista on my second harddrive.. Put when I went to
> > activate
> > it it said something like the license is for upgrade not a clean install..
> > Why has microsoft did away with the ability to do a clean install with the
> > upgrade version and won't let you activate it..

Rick Rogers

Re: Activaton of a upgrade using a clean install
Hi,

You *have* to start from within a qualifying OS the second time. If you are
on the first install, do not enter the Product Key after booting the DVD,
just click next and choose the appropriate version.

--

> Thanks rick, but I tried that option of installing it a second time and it
> did not good.. When i tried to install on the same drive "d" inserted the
> key
> and it said i need to start from within an exsisting copy or something
> like
> that... Could this be because it recognizes my "c" drive with xp all ready
> on
> it...
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Because it was abused by too many and not used for the intended purpose:
>> upgrade an existing installation. Apparently Microsoft felt that you
>> should
>> use a full version for a clean install to a formatted drive. The upgrade
>> version will, by the way, do a clean install using the custom option, but
>> it
>> still needs to start from within a qualifying OS and does wipe out the
>> existing one.
>>
>> You can, by the way, do a clean install with an upgrade disk by
>> installing
>> twice. The first time don't use the Product Key, then restart from within
>> the completed installation and use the key the second time. Whether you
>> do
>> this or install a qualifying OS first, you still have to do two
>> installation.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "doubledragon5" <doubledragon5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> >I purchased Home Premium upgrade, because the store I purchased it from
>> >ran
>> > out of the full version.. Because I'm not ready to boot XP I decided to
>> > do
>> > clean install of Vista on my second harddrive.. Put when I went to
>> > activate
>> > it it said something like the license is for upgrade not a clean
>> > install..
>> > Why has microsoft did away with the ability to do a clean install with
>> > the
>> > upgrade version and won't let you activate it..

doubledragon5

Re: Activaton of a upgrade using a clean install
Ok I understand thanks...

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You *have* to start from within a qualifying OS the second time. If you are
> on the first install, do not enter the Product Key after booting the DVD,
> just click next and choose the appropriate version.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "doubledragon5" <doubledragon5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks rick, but I tried that option of installing it a second time and it
> > did not good.. When i tried to install on the same drive "d" inserted the
> > key
> > and it said i need to start from within an exsisting copy or something
> > like
> > that... Could this be because it recognizes my "c" drive with xp all ready
> > on
> > it...
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Because it was abused by too many and not used for the intended purpose:
> >> upgrade an existing installation. Apparently Microsoft felt that you
> >> should
> >> use a full version for a clean install to a formatted drive. The upgrade
> >> version will, by the way, do a clean install using the custom option, but
> >> it
> >> still needs to start from within a qualifying OS and does wipe out the
> >> existing one.
> >>
> >> You can, by the way, do a clean install with an upgrade disk by
> >> installing
> >> twice. The first time don't use the Product Key, then restart from within
> >> the completed installation and use the key the second time. Whether you
> >> do
> >> this or install a qualifying OS first, you still have to do two
> >> installation.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "doubledragon5" <doubledragon5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Mike Brannigan

Re: Activaton of a upgrade using a clean install
"doubledragon5" <doubledragon5@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased Home Premium upgrade, because the store I purchased it from ran
> out of the full version.. Because I'm not ready to boot XP I decided to do
> clean install of Vista on my second harddrive.. Put when I went to
> activate
> it it said something like the license is for upgrade not a clean install..
> Why has microsoft did away with the ability to do a clean install with the
> upgrade version and won't let you activate it..

Point of Note : irrespective of what you are being told about how to do
upgrades and clean install the fact is you purchased an UPGRADE edition
which means you MAY NOT install it side by side with XP. You are NOT
licensed to run both. Your XP license becomes part of your Vista license
and is no longer valid for use anywhere.
So if you want a side by side you must purchase a full Vista license or
another XP licenses if you wish to use the upgrade Vista you bought.

I realize this seems harsh but you should adhere to the license you agree to
abide by when you install the product.

--

Mike Brannigan

Michael A. Covington

"Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message

> Point of Note : irrespective of what you are being told about how to do
> upgrades and clean install the fact is you purchased an UPGRADE edition
> which means you MAY NOT install it side by side with XP. You are NOT
> licensed to run both. Your XP license becomes part of your Vista license
> and is no longer valid for use anywhere.
> So if you want a side by side you must purchase a full Vista license or
> another XP licenses if you wish to use the upgrade Vista you bought.
>
> I realize this seems harsh but you should adhere to the license you agree
> to abide by when you install the product.

Where does it say that? I bought Vista Ultimate Upgrade and had no trouble
setting up my XP system to dual-boot XP and Vista. It activated without any
problems. Of course I do not run both at the same time. I don't see why
Microsoft would object to this, since the two are not in use at the same
time.

Mike Brannigan

"Michael A. Covington" <look@ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote in message
> "Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message
>
>> Point of Note : irrespective of what you are being told about how to do
>> upgrades and clean install the fact is you purchased an UPGRADE edition
>> which means you MAY NOT install it side by side with XP. You are NOT
>> licensed to run both. Your XP license becomes part of your Vista license
>> and is no longer valid for use anywhere.
>> So if you want a side by side you must purchase a full Vista license or
>> another XP licenses if you wish to use the upgrade Vista you bought.
>>
>> I realize this seems harsh but you should adhere to the license you agree
>> to abide by when you install the product.

> Where does it say that?

In your end user license agreement

> I bought Vista Ultimate Upgrade and had no trouble setting up my XP system
> to dual-boot XP and Vista. It activated without any problems. Of course
> I do not run both at the same time. I don't see why Microsoft would
> object to this, since the two are not in use at the same time.

You are in breach of the licensing of your upgrade if you use it to create a
dual boot system with the XP that you are using is the qualifying license.
Think of it like trading in your car.
The new vehicle is cheaper as you are giving up the old.
You do not get to keep the one you are using to off set the price of the
new.
It is the same with the upgrade licensing - the price is lower as you are
giving up the right to use the older version as its license becomes part of
the new one.

Just because the system does not prevent you doing this (HOWEVER this is why
the upgrades are supposed to be run form inside the qualifying OS and
replace it) - does not mean that you are not in violation of the licensing
terms.

Read your End User License Agreement.

For example from the Ultimate Edition Upgrade
13. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the
software that is eligible for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement
takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After
you upgrade, you may no longer use the software you upgraded from.

So once you use this you no longer have the license to use the one you are
upgrading from - in this case he copy of XP on the machine being used to get
the lower pricing.
--

Mike Brannigan
"Michael A. Covington" <look@ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote in message
> "Mike Brannigan" <Mike.Brannigan@localhost> wrote in message
>
>> Point of Note : irrespective of what you are being told about how to do
>> upgrades and clean install the fact is you purchased an UPGRADE edition
>> which means you MAY NOT install it side by side with XP. You are NOT
>> licensed to run both. Your XP license becomes part of your Vista license
>> and is no longer valid for use anywhere.
>> So if you want a side by side you must purchase a full Vista license or
>> another XP licenses if you wish to use the upgrade Vista you bought.
>>
>> I realize this seems harsh but you should adhere to the license you agree
>> to abide by when you install the product.

> Where does it say that? I bought Vista Ultimate Upgrade and had no
> trouble setting up my XP system to dual-boot XP and Vista. It activated
> without any problems. Of course I do not run both at the same time. I
> don't see why Microsoft would object to this, since the two are not in use
> at the same time.

Bill Yanaire

Re: Activaton of a upgrade using a clean install
That is true, but if he doesn't tell anyone.... :-)

> [...]

>>> Point of Note : irrespective of what you are being told about how to do
>>> upgrades and clean install the fact is you purchased an UPGRADE edition
>>> which means you MAY NOT install it side by side with XP. You are NOT
>>> licensed to run both. Your XP license becomes part of your Vista
>>> license and is no longer valid for use anywhere.
>>> So if you want a side by side you must purchase a full Vista license or
>>> another XP licenses if you wish to use the upgrade Vista you bought.
>>>
>>> I realize this seems harsh but you should adhere to the license you
>>> agree to abide by when you install the product.

>> Where does it say that? I bought Vista Ultimate Upgrade and had no
>> trouble setting up my XP system to dual-boot XP and Vista. It activated
>> without any problems. Of course I do not run both at the same time. I
>> don't see why Microsoft would object to this, since the two are not in

Mike Brannigan

"Bill Yanaire" <bill@yanaire.com> wrote in message
> That is true, but if he doesn't tell anyone.... :-)

Then he is a thief - guilty of software piracy/theft

(I know you put a smiley on your comment but software piracy and theft are
not really that funny, as we the legitimate users end up paying for it in
many ways)