Vista Ultimate gets stupid

Thom_K

Vista Ultimate gets stupid
Hello,

I recently purchased a powerful gaming computer that came loaded with
Windows Vista Ultimate. Initially, it seemed like Vista was operating as it
should, but by the next day it was clear that it was up to no good. So for
the past 2 weeks I've been trying to resolve the problems without success.

When I click on the Windows symbol Vista will not allow me to access the
following;

Welcome Center
Windows Ultimate Extras
Windows Photo Gallery
Windows Meeting Space
Windows Live Messenger Download
The Control Panel - this momentarily flashes on the screen then ceases
Default Programs

There may be other things that aren't accessible as well.

The loss of the Control Panel is a big pain. There is a way to get in using
explorer, but it doesn't provide the panel view that we all know and love and
I find it difficult to work with it

The odd thing is every now and then Vista regains normal operation, but then
sometime later it goes back into stupid mode. I've noticed the normal
operation seems to coincide with when I do a Windows Update or load a new
program onto the machine.

Also, when I first connected the new computer to my Epson CX3200 printer
Vista recognized it and installed the drivers. The printer works when Vista
is behaving, but doesn't when it is misbehaving. When you attempt to print
the system comes back with the printer error," Printing failed when starting
the document."

I have tried loading and unloading programs, changing Vista settings and
some other things the computer manufacturer has recommended, but nothing
suggested resolves the problems.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem with Vista Ultimate? If so, do you
know how to resolve it?

Thanks for your time and sympathy.

Thom_K

Michael A. Covington

Re: Vista Ultimate gets stupid
I've seen something similar to this, though I didn't fully understand it; it
was a problem with Windows activation, and it cleared up when all the
Windows updates were automatically downloaded and installed. So you should
let Windows Update complete.

Was there any problem with activation? Wrong product key typed in or
something?

If you bought the computer from a dealer with Windows already activated, get
help from the dealer.

Thom_K

Re: Vista Ultimate gets stupid
Hi Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Vista was loaded by the company
that built the machine. I have gone to the MicroSoft website a couple of
times to check for updates. Those available were for security related issues
and I did downloaded them. Immediately after the download and a restart Vista
was working properly; however, it wasn't long before it started acting up
again.

The computer manufacturer suggested turning off the AERO feature, which I
did. Unfortunately, that didn't help. I've contacted the manufacturer a
couple of time but they seem to be at a loss as to why this happening. The
machine runs perfectly when running any of the game programs. So I don't
think the machine is at fault.

Best Regards, Thom_k

"Michael A. Covington" wrote:

> I've seen something similar to this, though I didn't fully understand it; it
> was a problem with Windows activation, and it cleared up when all the
> Windows updates were automatically downloaded and installed. So you should
> let Windows Update complete.
>
> Was there any problem with activation? Wrong product key typed in or
> something?
>
> If you bought the computer from a dealer with Windows already activated, get
> help from the dealer.

dmex

Re: Vista Ultimate gets stupid

Have you attempted a repair by booting the vista dvd? it sounds like
some services or registry settings where changed and repair should fix
anything, even a system restore should be able to restore functionality
back.

--
dmex
Mr. Arnold

Re: Vista Ultimate gets stupid
<snipped>

You have 180 days of free support with Vista from MS at the time of the
Vista activation. You can call MS for suuport.

"Thom_K" <ThomK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Michael,
>
> Thank you for taking the time to respond. Vista was loaded by the company
> that built the machine.

Was it also activated? (That requires online or telephone communication
with Microsoft.) Somewhere in Computer, Properties, you should be able to
find out. (I don't have a Vista machine in front of me right now.)

I assume the manufacturer gave you the Vista DVD and the product key, which
is on a sticker on the DVD case. If not, you may be dealing with a pirated
copy of Vista.

As someone else suggested, calling Microsoft is one of your options.