End-User License Agreement

counsel

End-User License Agreement
I just bought a new laptop with Vista Ultimate. I then installed MS office
2003. Now everytime I try to open a program in Office I get a box message
saying "You must accept the end-user license agreement (EULA) to use this
software. If you don't accept this application will quit" It gives me the
option to "Print".."Accept"
and "decline". when I click on "accept" the program then works.

On my previous Windows XP Laptop the MS Office programs worked without this
message. Should I be getting this message and can it be removed"?

Any help will be appreciated.

counsel2@sbcglobal.net
Nepatsfan

Re: End-User License Agreement
In news:443212D5-A4F0-4326-B4F7-1BE09797B260@microsoft.com,
counsel <counsel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I just bought a new laptop with Vista Ultimate. I then
> installed MS
> office 2003. Now everytime I try to open a program in Office
> I get a
> box message saying "You must accept the end-user license
> agreement
> (EULA) to use this software. If you don't accept this
> application
> will quit" It gives me the option to "Print".."Accept"
> and "decline". when I click on "accept" the program then
> works.
>
> On my previous Windows XP Laptop the MS Office programs
> worked
> without this message. Should I be getting this message and
> can it be
> removed"?
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> counsel2@sbcglobal.net

Take a look at this article.

You must accept the Office End User License Agreement every
time that you start an Office program
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884202

Good luck

Nepatsfan

counsel

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> In news:443212D5-A4F0-4326-B4F7-1BE09797B260@microsoft.com,
> counsel <counsel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I just bought a new laptop with Vista Ultimate. I then
> > installed MS
> > office 2003. Now everytime I try to open a program in Office
> > I get a
> > box message saying "You must accept the end-user license
> > agreement
> > (EULA) to use this software. If you don't accept this
> > application
> > will quit" It gives me the option to "Print".."Accept"
> > and "decline". when I click on "accept" the program then
> > works.
> >
> > On my previous Windows XP Laptop the MS Office programs
> > worked
> > without this message. Should I be getting this message and
> > can it be
> > removed"?
> >
> > Any help will be appreciated.
> >
> > counsel2@sbcglobal.net

> Take a look at this article.
>
> You must accept the Office End User License Agreement every
> time that you start an Office program
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884202
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan

counsel

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> In news:443212D5-A4F0-4326-B4F7-1BE09797B260@microsoft.com,
> counsel <counsel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I just bought a new laptop with Vista Ultimate. I then
> > installed MS
> > office 2003. Now everytime I try to open a program in Office
> > I get a
> > box message saying "You must accept the end-user license
> > agreement
> > (EULA) to use this software. If you don't accept this
> > application
> > will quit" It gives me the option to "Print".."Accept"
> > and "decline". when I click on "accept" the program then
> > works.
> >
> > On my previous Windows XP Laptop the MS Office programs
> > worked
> > without this message. Should I be getting this message and
> > can it be
> > removed"?
> >
> > Any help will be appreciated.
> >
> > counsel2@sbcglobal.net

> Take a look at this article.
>
> You must accept the Office End User License Agreement every
> time that you start an Office program
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884202
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan
>

> Thanks Nepatsfan for your answer. I tried going to the registry (I just typed in regedit in the search box) and looked for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\OFFIC11 .0 (FOR OFFICE 2003). Nowhere to be found.

I was told by a "Geek Squad" guy at Best Buy, where I bought the vista
laptop, that because I had tried a trial version of Office 2007, that the
End User License message meant my Office 2003 program which I bought, would
expire in 30 days.

This doesn't make sense since I bought the program. What do you think?
counsel

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> In news:443212D5-A4F0-4326-B4F7-1BE09797B260@microsoft.com,
> counsel <counsel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I just bought a new laptop with Vista Ultimate. I then
> > installed MS
> > office 2003. Now everytime I try to open a program in Office
> > I get a
> > box message saying "You must accept the end-user license
> > agreement
> > (EULA) to use this software. If you don't accept this
> > application
> > will quit" It gives me the option to "Print".."Accept"
> > and "decline". when I click on "accept" the program then
> > works.
> >
> > On my previous Windows XP Laptop the MS Office programs
> > worked
> > without this message. Should I be getting this message and
> > can it be
> > removed"?
> >
> > Any help will be appreciated.
> >
> > counsel2@sbcglobal.net

> Take a look at this article.
>
> You must accept the Office End User License Agreement every
> time that you start an Office program
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884202
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan
>

> I followed your link to the Microsoft support page which confirmed your statement that I must accept the Office End User License Agreement every time I open an Office program. It gave a suggested registry fix but I couldn't locate the registry subkey it mentioned.

My main concern is because I had a trial version of Office 2007 on my new
laptop, now uninstalled, Best Buy Geek Squad said my Office 2003 will expire
in 90 days even though I bought the software. I can live with the License
Message, but, is this a Vista thing-didn't happen in XP, or does the Geek
Squad not know what they are talking about. should I be concerned?

In news:13DD5044-15D9-4EE6-9415-17B33617D997@microsoft.com,
counsel <counsel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> In news:443212D5-A4F0-4326-B4F7-1BE09797B260@microsoft.com,
>> counsel <counsel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> I just bought a new laptop with Vista Ultimate. I then
>>> installed MS
>>> office 2003. Now everytime I try to open a program in
>>> Office
>>> I get a
>>> box message saying "You must accept the end-user license
>>> agreement
>>> (EULA) to use this software. If you don't accept this
>>> application
>>> will quit" It gives me the option to "Print".."Accept"
>>> and "decline". when I click on "accept" the program then
>>> works.
>>>
>>> On my previous Windows XP Laptop the MS Office programs
>>> worked
>>> without this message. Should I be getting this message and
>>> can it be
>>> removed"?
>>>
>>> Any help will be appreciated.
>>>
>>> counsel2@sbcglobal.net

>> Take a look at this article.
>>
>> You must accept the Office End User License Agreement every
>> time that you start an Office program
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884202
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Nepatsfan
>>

>> I followed your link to the Microsoft support page which
>> confirmed
>> your statement that I must accept the Office End User
>> License
>> Agreement every time I open an Office program. It gave a
>> suggested
>> registry fix but I couldn't locate the registry subkey it
>> mentioned.

> My main concern is because I had a trial version of Office
> 2007 on my
> new laptop, now uninstalled, Best Buy Geek Squad said my
> Office 2003
> will expire in 90 days even though I bought the software. I
> can live
> with the License Message, but, is this a Vista thing-didn't
> happen in
> XP, or does the Geek Squad not know what they are talking
> about.
> should I be concerned?

I checked two installations of Vista I have here that are
running Office. Both systems had this registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office

Under that key were the subkeys, 11.0 and 12.0, that are
mentioned in the article.

You might want to go back and run regedit to see if you may
have missed it. Keep in mind that you may have to log off and
log back on for the changes to take effect.

That said, if you haven't done so already, you might want to
post your question to one of the Office newsgroups.

Office Discussions Groups
http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...verview.mspx#5

You can also contact Microsoft's support here. Depending on the
version you own, you may qualify for two free support requests.

http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=2488

As for your question concerning the software expiring, I can
only offer an opinion. If you purchased and activated a full
version of Office 2003, it should not expire at any time. If
you delay activating the product, it will display a message
informing you that you can use it X number of times before it
stops working properly. Keep in mind that there are limitations
as to the number of computers the product can be installed on.

Good luck

Nepatsfan

Bruce Chambers

counsel wrote:

> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> In news:443212D5-A4F0-4326-B4F7-1BE09797B260@microsoft.com,
>> counsel <counsel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> I just bought a new laptop with Vista Ultimate. I then
>>> installed MS
>>> office 2003. Now everytime I try to open a program in Office
>>> I get a
>>> box message saying "You must accept the end-user license
>>> agreement
>>> (EULA) to use this software. If you don't accept this
>>> application
>>> will quit" It gives me the option to "Print".."Accept"
>>> and "decline". when I click on "accept" the program then
>>> works.
>>>
>>> On my previous Windows XP Laptop the MS Office programs
>>> worked
>>> without this message. Should I be getting this message and
>>> can it be
>>> removed"?
>>>
>>> Any help will be appreciated.
>>>
>>> counsel2@sbcglobal.net

>> Take a look at this article.
>>
>> You must accept the Office End User License Agreement every
>> time that you start an Office program
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884202
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Nepatsfan
>>

>> Thanks Nepatsfan for your answer. I tried going to the registry (I just typed in regedit in the search box) and looked for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\OFFIC11 .0 (FOR OFFICE 2003). Nowhere to be found.

> I was told by a "Geek Squad" guy at Best Buy, where I bought the vista
> laptop, that because I had tried a trial version of Office 2007, that the
> End User License message meant my Office 2003 program which I bought, would
> expire in 30 days.

That makes no sense, but there might be some problems if you installed
the older version of Office (2003) without first having removed all
remnants of the newer version. Try removing everything Office from your
machine, and then install the version you already own.

> This doesn't make sense since I bought the program. What do you think?

Don't ever listen to anyone at Best Buy, or on their "Geek Squad,"
about any technical issues regarding computers. Any knowledgeable,
qualified technician would be able to find a much better paying job.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

counsel

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> In news:13DD5044-15D9-4EE6-9415-17B33617D997@microsoft.com,
> counsel <counsel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > "Nepatsfan" wrote:

> >> Take a look at this article.
> >>
> >> You must accept the Office End User License Agreement every
> >> time that you start an Office program
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884202
> >>
> >> Good luck
> >>
> >> Nepatsfan
> >>

> >> I followed your link to the Microsoft support page which
> >> confirmed
> >> your statement that I must accept the Office End User
> >> License
> >> Agreement every time I open an Office program. It gave a
> >> suggested
> >> registry fix but I couldn't locate the registry subkey it
> >> mentioned.

> > My main concern is because I had a trial version of Office
> > 2007 on my
> > new laptop, now uninstalled, Best Buy Geek Squad said my
> > Office 2003
> > will expire in 90 days even though I bought the software. I
> > can live
> > with the License Message, but, is this a Vista thing-didn't
> > happen in
> > XP, or does the Geek Squad not know what they are talking
> > about.
> > should I be concerned?

> I checked two installations of Vista I have here that are
> running Office. Both systems had this registry key.
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office
>
> Under that key were the subkeys, 11.0 and 12.0, that are
> mentioned in the article.
>
> You might want to go back and run regedit to see if you may
> have missed it. Keep in mind that you may have to log off and
> log back on for the changes to take effect.
>
> That said, if you haven't done so already, you might want to
> post your question to one of the Office newsgroups.
>
> Office Discussions Groups
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...verview.mspx#5
>
> You can also contact Microsoft's support here. Depending on the
> version you own, you may qualify for two free support requests.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=2488
>
> As for your question concerning the software expiring, I can
> only offer an opinion. If you purchased and activated a full
> version of Office 2003, it should not expire at any time. If
> you delay activating the product, it will display a message
> informing you that you can use it X number of times before it
> stops working properly. Keep in mind that there are limitations
> as to the number of computers the product can be installed on.
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan
>

> Thanks again for the information. I did go to the registry however, under Hkey_Local...Microsoft there were no 11.0 or 12.0 sub keys. I will try one of the other groups as you suggest.

dean-dean

Re: End-User License Agreement
I noticed in your response that you may have not looked under (i.e.,
expanded) the "Office" key, that is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0, etc.

But maybe you did. Just a thought.