Cannot install Vista on SATA disk @ SiI3112R controller

Andreas Eibach

Cannot install Vista on SATA disk @ SiI3112R controller
Hi

I have a hybrid system with two big disks residing on two SATA ports
from my SiI3112R controller.
(Test-) Installing Vista on one of my IDE disks worked fine; but i'm
unable to install to my SATA drive,
no matter what I do!

Yes I know how to do it, have the driver files on a floppy disk or a USB
device, install - no breaking news.
But now the following happens:

Vista displays the green animated bar on the bottom FOREVER and I had to
switch off after leaving it running for 15 minutes.
Downloading a new SATA RAID driver from Silicon Image web site did not
have any effect either.

I'm not using RAID at all...but I *must* use the RAID drivers
(sii3112r.sys) as the other R-less ones did not work on Windows 2000
either.

Did anyone experience something similar to that when installing vista?

-Andreas

dmex

Re: Cannot install Vista on SATA disk @ SiI3112R controller

Andreas Eibach;315909 Wrote:
> Hi
> Vista displays the green animated bar on the bottom FOREVER and I had
> switch off after leaving it running for *15 minutes*.

Have you tryed installing without these drivers? vista is proberly not
compadible with them because of the significant changes to the driver
model, *_most_* drivers from XP or 200 will not work except some audio
and video ones.

Vista does take a very long time to install, its completely dependant
on the hardware conditions of your computer, anywhere from 20mins to 2-5
hours, (the latter for older computers) there is a program called VLite
to customise your vista cd and can speed up the process

Andreas which version of vista are you using?

--
dmex
Don

Andreas Eibach wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a hybrid system with two big disks residing on two SATA ports
> from my SiI3112R controller.
> (Test-) Installing Vista on one of my IDE disks worked fine; but i'm
> unable to install to my SATA drive,
> no matter what I do!...

Installing Vista to SATA drives has been an ongoing problem due
to a bug (I'm assuming) in the installer.

The commonly used workaround has been to remove *all* drives except
your target SATA drive during the install, and then replace them
after the install is successful. A number of posters here have
found that it works.

Andreas Eibach

Re: Cannot install Vista on SATA disk @ SiI3112R controller
> Have you tryed installing without these drivers? vista is proberly not
> compadible with them because of the significant changes to the driver
> model, *_most_* drivers from XP or 200 will not work except some audio
> and video ones.

Makes no sense, as these drivers DO need to be installed to _recognize_
the HDD at all.
Otherwise, setup pretends as if there was no SATA disk attached at all.

> there is a program called VLite
> to customise your vista cd and can speed up the process

Thanks, maybe this will do any good.

> Andreas which version of vista are you using?

Public final release, Ultimate
(no beta! beware!)

-Andreas

Andreas Eibach

"Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> schrieb:
> Andreas Eibach wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a hybrid system with two big disks residing on two SATA ports
> > from my SiI3112R controller.
> > (Test-) Installing Vista on one of my IDE disks worked fine; but i'm
> > unable to install to my SATA drive,
> > no matter what I do!...

> Installing Vista to SATA drives has been an ongoing problem due
> to a bug (I'm assuming) in the installer.
>
> The commonly used workaround has been to remove *all* drives except
> your target SATA drive during the install, and then replace them
> after the install is successful. A number of posters here have
> found that it works.

_My savior_!!
So I'm not _that_ stupid then, am I?

Well I *think* I have even tried with only this drive in, but yet it
grinded forever on this screen but did not finish installing the driver.

BTW why do they say it is only possible to install the drivers via USB
or CD or floppy drive? If another disk is attached, the driver will at
least be found and _load_ fine from that HD drive.

-Andreas

Don

Andreas Eibach wrote:
> "Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> schrieb:
>> Andreas Eibach wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have a hybrid system with two big disks residing on two SATA ports
>>> from my SiI3112R controller.
>>> (Test-) Installing Vista on one of my IDE disks worked fine; but i'm
>>> unable to install to my SATA drive,
>>> no matter what I do!...

>> Installing Vista to SATA drives has been an ongoing problem due
>> to a bug (I'm assuming) in the installer.
>>
>> The commonly used workaround has been to remove *all* drives except
>> your target SATA drive during the install, and then replace them
>> after the install is successful. A number of posters here have
>> found that it works.

> _My savior_!!
> So I'm not _that_ stupid then, am I?
>
> Well I *think* I have even tried with only this drive in, but yet it
> grinded forever on this screen but did not finish installing the driver.
>
> BTW why do they say it is only possible to install the drivers via USB
> or CD or floppy drive? If another disk is attached, the driver will at
> least be found and _load_ fine from that HD drive.

Depends on what type of drive the drivers are stored on. If Vista
needs the drivers to access the disk where the drivers are stored,
then the whole process will fail.

The reason for removing all other drives during install is that
the Vista installer may wrongly install some of the boot files on
the wrong drive -- yes, this is a bug. So, you really should not
expect Vista to find the SATA drivers on *any* hard disk during the
install, because they should all be disconnected from the computer.
(Except for your target drive.)

Andreas Eibach;316200 Wrote:
> > Makes no sense, as these drivers DO need to be installed to

> _recognize_
> the HDD at all.
> Otherwise, setup pretends as if there was no SATA disk attached at all.

I thought asking you to install without these drivers would be good way
to know if the drivers you where using could be the problem or if vista
did have a driver and just didnt tell you, sometimes setup just cant
tell if it has loaded drivers that work for your system.

glad to see don`s method got your install working, here is a tweaking
guide to get vista working better..'TweakGuides.com - The TweakGuides
Tweaking Companion' (http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html) I suggest
getting a program called vista manager, it makes tweaking performance
options easy, especially since vista doesnt detect the right cpu cache
and other related settings and needs to be done manually.

--
dmex
dmex

Re: Cannot install Vista on SATA disk @ SiI3112R controller

edit: Vista manager works good but it doesnt have the cpu performance
tweaks I refered to, TweakVI does this.

--
dmex