Instalation of XP and still keep my Vista ultimate

Donald

Instalation of XP and still keep my Vista ultimate
I have just upgraded to Vista ultimate and now need to run the XP operating
system, for my project. I have the XP CD 2002 version. Can I install the XP
and still have my vista? If yes could someone please point me in the right
direction or give me the info? Just to let you know that I have gone to
DiskManager console and right-clicked unallocated space then selected New
Simple Volume. This produced a Logical Partition, which I think i understand
will not hold an operating system. Please advise, thanks in anticipation.
--
DEG_Smith
Conor

Re: Instalation of XP and still keep my Vista ultimate
In article <86E8A095-6B52-42D2-98E3-C7BAB877D4DD@microsoft.com>, Donald
says...
> I have just upgraded to Vista ultimate and now need to run the XP operating
> system, for my project. I have the XP CD 2002 version. Can I install the XP
> and still have my vista? If yes could someone please point me in the right
> direction or give me the info? Just to let you know that I have gone to
> DiskManager console and right-clicked unallocated space then selected New
> Simple Volume. This produced a Logical Partition, which I think i understand
> will not hold an operating system. Please advise, thanks in anticipation.

Why not install Virtual PC 2007 which is free from Microsoft and create
a WinXP virtual PC there? Saves having to mess about partitioning and
dualbooting.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Don

Donald wrote:
> I have just upgraded to Vista ultimate and now need to run the XP operating
> system, for my project. I have the XP CD 2002 version. Can I install the XP
> and still have my vista? If yes could someone please point me in the right
> direction or give me the info? Just to let you know that I have gone to
> DiskManager console and right-clicked unallocated space then selected New
> Simple Volume. This produced a Logical Partition, which I think i understand
> will not hold an operating system...

I personally would follow Conor's suggestion, but just to answer your
last statement: any of Win2K, XP, or Vista will work just fine from
a logical partition -- but there must be at least one primary partition
somewhere on your machine where the boot files can live.

If you choose to install XP the usual way, its boot files will go in
C:\ along side Vista's boot files. The Vista master boot record will
be overwritten with XP's, so you'll need to run the repair facility
from the Vista DVD to restore the MBR when you're finished.

Donald

Re: Instalation of XP on Vista ultimate,update.

--
DEG_Smith

"Don" wrote:

> Donald wrote:
> > I have just upgraded to Vista ultimate and now need to run the XP operating
> > system, for my project. I have the XP CD 2002 version. Can I install the XP
> > and still have my vista? If yes could someone please point me in the right
> > direction or give me the info? Just to let you know that I have gone to
> > DiskManager console and right-clicked unallocated space then selected New
> > Simple Volume. This produced a Logical Partition, which I think i understand
> > will not hold an operating system...

> I personally would follow Conor's suggestion, but just to answer your
> last statement: any of Win2K, XP, or Vista will work just fine from
> a logical partition -- but there must be at least one primary partition
> somewhere on your machine where the boot files can live.
>
> If you choose to install XP the usual way, its boot files will go in
> C:\ along side Vista's boot files. The Vista master boot record will
> be overwritten with XP's, so you'll need to run the repair facility
> from the Vista DVD to restore the MBR when you're finished.
>
> Thank you for your help, It happens that I had already downloaded the virtual machine but I was not pleased with the performance. However, the second part of your answer was helpfull and I now intend to load the XP. I have backed-up my computer with the Acer eRecovery manager. This will do the job I hope as my version of Vista Ultimate comes via an upgrade on-line. The original Home Edition was pre-installed, will this make a difference to the recovery of the Vista Ultimate's MBR? Any further advice is more than welcome, thanks Don.

Don

Re: Instalation of XP on Vista ultimate,update.
> Donald wrote:
..
..
..
> Thank you for your help, It happens that I had already downloaded the
> virtual machine but I was not pleased with the performance. However,
> the second part of your answer was helpfull and I now intend to load
> the XP. I have backed-up my computer with the Acer eRecovery manager.
> This will do the job I hope as my version of Vista Ultimate comes via
> an upgrade on-line. The original Home Edition was pre-installed, will
> this make a difference to the recovery of the Vista Ultimate's MBR?...

Oops, yes it will. You most likely don't have a Vista install DVD if
you downloaded the upgrade. I know that VistaBootPro is able to restore
the Vista MBR, but what I don't know is whether you can run it from XP.

Assuming you install XP successfully you won't be able to boot into your
Vista install, although it will still be intact on your hard drive. All
you need to do is restore the Vista MBR with VistaBootPro to get it all
working again.

I'm not at my Vista machine, so I'm working from memory: what you
actually need is the Vista version of the fixmbr command-line utility,
and I believe that VistaBootPro includes it.

So, install VistaBootPro on your Vista (vistabootpro.org) and save
a copy of fixmbr somewhere you can find it *after* installing XP.
(Note that XP also has its own version of fixmbr which knows nothing
about Vista, of course.) A bit of googling should help you to use
fixmbr properly.

If in doubt, do nothing until you are sure you have everything you
need.

"Don" wrote:

> > Donald wrote:

> ..
> ..
> ..
> > Thank you for your help, It happens that I had already downloaded the
> > virtual machine but I was not pleased with the performance. However,
> > the second part of your answer was helpfull and I now intend to load
> > the XP. I have backed-up my computer with the Acer eRecovery manager.
> > This will do the job I hope as my version of Vista Ultimate comes via
> > an upgrade on-line. The original Home Edition was pre-installed, will
> > this make a difference to the recovery of the Vista Ultimate's MBR?...

> Oops, yes it will. You most likely don't have a Vista install DVD if
> you downloaded the upgrade. I know that VistaBootPro is able to restore
> the Vista MBR, but what I don't know is whether you can run it from XP.
>
> Assuming you install XP successfully you won't be able to boot into your
> Vista install, although it will still be intact on your hard drive. All
> you need to do is restore the Vista MBR with VistaBootPro to get it all
> working again.
>
> I'm not at my Vista machine, so I'm working from memory: what you
> actually need is the Vista version of the fixmbr command-line utility,
> and I believe that VistaBootPro includes it.
>
> So, install VistaBootPro on your Vista (vistabootpro.org) and save
> a copy of fixmbr somewhere you can find it *after* installing XP.
> (Note that XP also has its own version of fixmbr which knows nothing
> about Vista, of course.) A bit of googling should help you to use
> fixmbr properly.
>
> If in doubt, do nothing until you are sure you have everything you
> need.
>
> Hi Don your a star, your comments were most helpfull, 10 out of 5 for you Thanks a lot.

P.S it must be the name.
Don

Don wrote:
> I'm not at my Vista machine, so I'm working from memory: what you
> actually need is the Vista version of the fixmbr command-line utility,
> and I believe that VistaBootPro includes it.
>
> So, install VistaBootPro on your Vista (vistabootpro.org) and save
> a copy of fixmbr somewhere you can find it *after* installing XP.
> (Note that XP also has its own version of fixmbr which knows nothing
> about Vista, of course.) A bit of googling should help you to use
> fixmbr properly.

<sigh> There goes my memory. Everywhere I wrote fixmbr above you
should substitute bootsect.exe instead. VistaBootPro does indeed
include it, and you should type 'bootsect.exe /help' at a command
prompt for instructions.

Important note: you type the letter of the drive when using
bootsect.exe, so be careful because XP and Vista will use different
letters for the same partition.