2 questions

Jaime

2 questions
I recently purchased a HP Pavilion with Vista Home Premium pre-installed.
Messing around under user I put in a password. For some reason or another I
couldn't log back in. I re-installed Vista with the CD that came with the
notebook. I was able to re-installed Vsita with the product key that came
with it, but when I try to activate it tells me that product key is invalid.
Now it tells me I have one day until automatic activation. I understand that
it suppose to be 30 days? Anyways I order which is on the way Vista
Ultimate. Since it's an upgrade version should I have problems with
installing Ultimate? Also should I uninstall the Mcafee Viruscan Plus before
upgrading to Ultimate the re-install it?

My other question is I enable disk check on boot up. How do I disable it so
I don't have to hit keys to cancel every time I boot up?
Rick Rogers

Re: 2 questions
Hi,

Use the phone option for activation, this is common with OEM versions. You
have to phone in the activation instead of using the 'net version.

The automatic activation usually happens within the first 3 days of install.
This is not the end of the activation period, but merely the point at which
it tries to get done. You have 30 days after installing to activate.

> Since it's an upgrade version should I have problems with installing
> Ultimate?

Nope, but you could have just done the Anytime Upgrade instead:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro.../overview.mspx

> Also should I uninstall the Mcafee Viruscan Plus before upgrading to
> Ultimate the re-install it?

Yes, but were it me I would just uninstall it and leave it off. There are
much better programs that are far less imposing on the system.

> My other question is I enable disk check on boot up. How do I disable it
> so
> I don't have to hit keys to cancel every time I boot up

Click start, type CMD. Right click the command prompt in the menu, use 'run
as administrator'. From the prompt, run "chkntfs /d" (without the quotes).
Close the command prompt.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jaime" <Jaime@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I recently purchased a HP Pavilion with Vista Home Premium pre-installed.
> Messing around under user I put in a password. For some reason or another
> couldn't log back in. I re-installed Vista with the CD that came with the
> notebook. I was able to re-installed Vsita with the product key that came
> with it, but when I try to activate it tells me that product key is
> invalid.
> Now it tells me I have one day until automatic activation. I understand
> that
> it suppose to be 30 days? Anyways I order which is on the way Vista
> Ultimate. Since it's an upgrade version should I have problems with
> installing Ultimate? Also should I uninstall the Mcafee Viruscan Plus
> before
> upgrading to Ultimate the re-install it?
>
> My other question is I enable disk check on boot up. How do I disable it
> so
> I don't have to hit keys to cancel every time I boot up?

Jaime

Re: 2 questions
> > Also should I uninstall the Mcafee Viruscan Plus before upgrading to
> > Ultimate the re-install it?

> Yes, but were it me I would just uninstall it and leave it off. There are
> much better programs that are far less imposing on the system.

Vista comes Defender. You suggest I use that? How good is Defender?

> Nope, but you could have just done the Anytime Upgrade instead:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro.../overview.mspx

Yes but I rather have the physical CD itself.

Best;

Jaime

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Use the phone option for activation, this is common with OEM versions. You
> have to phone in the activation instead of using the 'net version.
>
> The automatic activation usually happens within the first 3 days of install.
> This is not the end of the activation period, but merely the point at which
> it tries to get done. You have 30 days after installing to activate.
>
> > Since it's an upgrade version should I have problems with installing
> > Ultimate?

> Nope, but you could have just done the Anytime Upgrade instead:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro.../overview.mspx
>
> > Also should I uninstall the Mcafee Viruscan Plus before upgrading to
> > Ultimate the re-install it?

> Yes, but were it me I would just uninstall it and leave it off. There are
> much better programs that are far less imposing on the system.
>
> > My other question is I enable disk check on boot up. How do I disable it
> > so
> > I don't have to hit keys to cancel every time I boot up

> Click start, type CMD. Right click the command prompt in the menu, use 'run
> as administrator'. From the prompt, run "chkntfs /d" (without the quotes).
> Close the command prompt.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Jaime" <Jaime@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I recently purchased a HP Pavilion with Vista Home Premium pre-installed.
> > Messing around under user I put in a password. For some reason or another
> > couldn't log back in. I re-installed Vista with the CD that came with the
> > notebook. I was able to re-installed Vsita with the product key that came
> > with it, but when I try to activate it tells me that product key is
> > invalid.
> > Now it tells me I have one day until automatic activation. I understand
> > that
> > it suppose to be 30 days? Anyways I order which is on the way Vista
> > Ultimate. Since it's an upgrade version should I have problems with
> > installing Ultimate? Also should I uninstall the Mcafee Viruscan Plus
> > before
> > upgrading to Ultimate the re-install it?
> >
> > My other question is I enable disk check on boot up. How do I disable it
> > so
> > I don't have to hit keys to cancel every time I boot up?

Rick Rogers

Re: 2 questions
Hi,

Not Defender, but something like NOD32 or AVG.

All versions of Vista are on the same disk, it's the Product Key that
unlocks the features for the version you purchase. If you purchase through
Anytime Upgrade, there is an option to receive a disk if you had a
preinstalled machine.

--

news06FA468-5BD1-499B-B98F-5414E8C2D831@microsoft.com...