remove vista

tony

remove vista
my new laptop runs vista buisness unfortunatly my older programs wont run on
vista how can i get rid of vista and install xp pro
--
clipsal
Mr. Arnold

Re: remove vista

"tony" <tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my new laptop runs vista buisness unfortunatly my older programs wont run
> on
> vista how can i get rid of vista and install xp pro

You do know you can run a program with different compatibility modes, like
run it in Win 2K, Win 98, XP and some other modes.

tony

Re: remove vista
how is this done ?
--
clipsal

"Mr. Arnold" wrote:

> "tony" <tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > my new laptop runs vista buisness unfortunatly my older programs wont run
> > on
> > vista how can i get rid of vista and install xp pro

> You do know you can run a program with different compatibility modes, like
> run it in Win 2K, Win 98, XP and some other modes.

...winston

Re: remove vista
Navigate to the executable or the shortcut, right click, select properties.
...winston

"tony" <tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AFCD920B-2FCD-413D-AA37-E2A63FBA9819@microsoft.com...
: how is this done ?
: --
: clipsal
:
:
: "Mr. Arnold" wrote:
:
: >
: > "tony" <tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: > news:926B439D-3A4D-4D07-987F-1D6848FB3D2A@microsoft.com...
: > > my new laptop runs vista buisness unfortunatly my older programs wont run
: > > on
: > > vista how can i get rid of vista and install xp pro
: >
: > You do know you can run a program with different compatibility modes, like
: > run it in Win 2K, Win 98, XP and some other modes.
: >
: >
: >
Mr. Arnold

Re: remove vista

"tony" <tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> how is this done ?

Someone has told you how, but you can also do this too and it's free
software.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...c/default.mspx

John Barnett MVP

Re: remove vista
Virtual PC 2007 shouldn't be run on Windows Home Premium (Check Licence
agreement) It can be run on Ultimate, Business and Enterprise editions but
not Home Basic, Home Premium etc.

In my opinion this is a ridiculous restriction as a virtual machine is an
ideal way of getting none vista compatible software to work. However, as
others have said, you could also try compatibility mode to see if the
software you are having problems with will work better.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
> Virtual PC 2007 shouldn't be run on Windows Home Premium (Check Licence
> agreement) It can be run on Ultimate, Business and Enterprise editions but
> not Home Basic, Home Premium etc.
>
> In my opinion this is a ridiculous restriction as a virtual machine is an
> ideal way of getting none vista compatible software to work. However, as
> others have said, you could also try compatibility mode to see if the
> software you are having problems with will work better.

Someone in another NG indicated that he went ahead and installed VPC 2007 on
HB I believe, and it was working with no problems.

John Barnett MVP

Re: remove vista
Yes I am not saying it will not work, what I am saying is that the Vista
Home Premium Licence agreement doesn't allow you to use virtual machine
software.

'Microsoft Windows Home Premium EULA

4. Use of virtualization technologies. You may not use the software
installed on the licenced device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated)
hardware system.'

You might also try this forum link:
http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=283759

--

> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
>> Virtual PC 2007 shouldn't be run on Windows Home Premium (Check Licence
>> agreement) It can be run on Ultimate, Business and Enterprise editions
>> but not Home Basic, Home Premium etc.
>>
>> In my opinion this is a ridiculous restriction as a virtual machine is an
>> ideal way of getting none vista compatible software to work. However, as
>> others have said, you could also try compatibility mode to see if the
>> software you are having problems with will work better.

> Someone in another NG indicated that he went ahead and installed VPC 2007
> on HB I believe, and it was working with no problems.

Rick Rogers

Re: remove vista
Hi John,

That means you cannot install Vista HP into a virtual machine, not that you
can't install a virtual machine into Vista HP. And that only applies to
retail or OEM, the MSDN version of Vista HP can be installed into a VM.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> Yes I am not saying it will not work, what I am saying is that the Vista
> Home Premium Licence agreement doesn't allow you to use virtual machine
> software.
>
> 'Microsoft Windows Home Premium EULA
>
> 4. Use of virtualization technologies. You may not use the software
> installed on the licenced device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated)
> hardware system.'
>
> You might also try this forum link:
> http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=283759
>

> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable
> for any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out
> of the use of, or inability to use, information or opinions expressed in
> this mail/post..
>
> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
>>> Virtual PC 2007 shouldn't be run on Windows Home Premium (Check Licence
>>> agreement) It can be run on Ultimate, Business and Enterprise editions
>>> but not Home Basic, Home Premium etc.
>>>
>>> In my opinion this is a ridiculous restriction as a virtual machine is
>>> an ideal way of getting none vista compatible software to work. However,
>>> as others have said, you could also try compatibility mode to see if the
>>> software you are having problems with will work better.

>> Someone in another NG indicated that he went ahead and installed VPC 2007
>> on HB I believe, and it was working with no problems.

John Barnett MVP

Re: remove vista
Hi Rick,

Reading the licence agreement for the first time my understanding of the
clause was exactly the same as your. In fact I had a client email me with
the same problem and I suggested that my reading of the clause was that 'you
couldn't run another copy of Vista Premium as a Virtual machine on the same
machine.' He, apparently has read different, but, sadly cannot provide me
with the source. He apparently complained to Microsoft who just replied with
the usual 'sorry you are having problems with our product, etc,
etc.........we will look into it' (as if!).

Legal jargon or not the clause is not particularly clear to the average
user. And if it is possible (I haven't tried it but I assume from other
posts I've read that it can be done) that VPC 2007 can be run on Premium why
are Microsoft intimating that VPC 2007 'is not' compatible with VPC 2007?

I am preparing an article for my website on running VMware Workstation as an
option to running older operating systems and I would like to make sure that
I get the legal side regarding Premium correct.

Thanks for your input