Constant Vista Installation error's

PCfixinman

Constant Vista Installation error's
Hi All,

I bought Vista Ultimate Upgrade, to install on my latest XP PRO SP2
Gamer. It would not install on any partition that was physical, only logical
partition. After I finally did get it installed, I was unable to setup( type
my name & password) Vista so I could logon. parts of the windows & words were
missing, (like the NEXT prompt)

1 Biostar 6100-M9
2 x 512MB Corsair Value RAM (Matched Set)
2 x 512MB Mushkin Green Line(Matched Set)
2 x 250MB WD Cavier SE SATA 3.0 (HDD)
1 D-Link Wireless PCI card
1 Optiarc AD-7170A DVD-+RW (ODD)

All my hardware passed the Vista Upgrade advisor

Any Idea's why, or what I should do?

Thanks,

JC

--
One step closer to the edge...
Rick Rogers

Re: Constant Vista Installation error's
Hi,

The Upgrade Advisor can only report known conflicts, it is not a tell-all,
know-all tool. Some thoughts:

- you may need an updated BIOS
- does Biostar list the board as Vista compatible?
- just because the two pairs are matched does not mean they will work well
with each other
- what video card is in use?
- is the system overclocked?

The upgrade disk is designed to be started from within the existing
installation - did you do this?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"PCfixinman" <PCfixinman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I bought Vista Ultimate Upgrade, to install on my latest XP PRO SP2
> Gamer. It would not install on any partition that was physical, only
> logical
> partition. After I finally did get it installed, I was unable to setup(
> type
> my name & password) Vista so I could logon. parts of the windows & words
> were
> missing, (like the NEXT prompt)
>
> 1 Biostar 6100-M9
> 2 x 512MB Corsair Value RAM (Matched Set)
> 2 x 512MB Mushkin Green Line(Matched Set)
> 2 x 250MB WD Cavier SE SATA 3.0 (HDD)
> 1 D-Link Wireless PCI card
> 1 Optiarc AD-7170A DVD-+RW (ODD)
>
> All my hardware passed the Vista Upgrade advisor
>
> Any Idea's why, or what I should do?
>
> Thanks,
>
> JC
>

> --
> One step closer to the edge...

PCfixinman

Re: Constant Vista Installation error's
Hi,

After reading your post, I did some thinking.
I'm not sure if the MOBO is vista capable, but it was built on Feb 2 2007,
after Vista was released.(according to Bel-arc advisor)
Why would Biostar build a non vista board, after Vista was out(in RTM) for
Socket 939 CPU's in the end of Jan 07 ?
The BIOS is from March 07 & is the latest.
I forgot the CPU is a 4600+ X2
I do not have the system overclocked, I'll remove one set of the matched
pairs, to see if it helps.
I have the EVGA 320MB 8800GTS PCI-E Video Card.

I tried upgrading from the XP pro SP2 install, it BSOD's right away &
reboots. I'll look in the Event Manager for what the error message is.
thanks,

pcfixinman
--
One step closer to the edge...

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Upgrade Advisor can only report known conflicts, it is not a tell-all,
> know-all tool. Some thoughts:
>
> - you may need an updated BIOS
> - does Biostar list the board as Vista compatible?
> - just because the two pairs are matched does not mean they will work well
> with each other
> - what video card is in use?
> - is the system overclocked?
>
> The upgrade disk is designed to be started from within the existing
> installation - did you do this?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "PCfixinman" <PCfixinman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I bought Vista Ultimate Upgrade, to install on my latest XP PRO SP2
> > Gamer. It would not install on any partition that was physical, only
> > logical
> > partition. After I finally did get it installed, I was unable to setup(
> > type
> > my name & password) Vista so I could logon. parts of the windows & words
> > were
> > missing, (like the NEXT prompt)
> >
> > 1 Biostar 6100-M9
> > 2 x 512MB Corsair Value RAM (Matched Set)
> > 2 x 512MB Mushkin Green Line(Matched Set)
> > 2 x 250MB WD Cavier SE SATA 3.0 (HDD)
> > 1 D-Link Wireless PCI card
> > 1 Optiarc AD-7170A DVD-+RW (ODD)
> >
> > All my hardware passed the Vista Upgrade advisor
> >
> > Any Idea's why, or what I should do?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > JC
> >

> > --
> > One step closer to the edge...

Rick Rogers

Re: Constant Vista Installation error's
Hi,

From the sounds of it, I should think that board would be fine. I'd start
with a barebones install to eliminate any potential problems.

--

> Hi,
>
> After reading your post, I did some thinking.
> I'm not sure if the MOBO is vista capable, but it was built on Feb 2 2007,
> after Vista was released.(according to Bel-arc advisor)
> Why would Biostar build a non vista board, after Vista was out(in RTM) for
> Socket 939 CPU's in the end of Jan 07 ?
> The BIOS is from March 07 & is the latest.
> I forgot the CPU is a 4600+ X2
> I do not have the system overclocked, I'll remove one set of the matched
> pairs, to see if it helps.
> I have the EVGA 320MB 8800GTS PCI-E Video Card.
>
> I tried upgrading from the XP pro SP2 install, it BSOD's right away &
> reboots. I'll look in the Event Manager for what the error message is.
> thanks,
>
> pcfixinman
> --
> One step closer to the edge...
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> The Upgrade Advisor can only report known conflicts, it is not a
>> tell-all,
>> know-all tool. Some thoughts:
>>
>> - you may need an updated BIOS
>> - does Biostar list the board as Vista compatible?
>> - just because the two pairs are matched does not mean they will work
>> well
>> with each other
>> - what video card is in use?
>> - is the system overclocked?
>>
>> The upgrade disk is designed to be started from within the existing
>> installation - did you do this?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "PCfixinman" <PCfixinman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I bought Vista Ultimate Upgrade, to install on my latest XP PRO SP2
>> > Gamer. It would not install on any partition that was physical, only
>> > logical
>> > partition. After I finally did get it installed, I was unable to setup(
>> > type
>> > my name & password) Vista so I could logon. parts of the windows &
>> > words
>> > were
>> > missing, (like the NEXT prompt)
>> >
>> > 1 Biostar 6100-M9
>> > 2 x 512MB Corsair Value RAM (Matched Set)
>> > 2 x 512MB Mushkin Green Line(Matched Set)
>> > 2 x 250MB WD Cavier SE SATA 3.0 (HDD)
>> > 1 D-Link Wireless PCI card
>> > 1 Optiarc AD-7170A DVD-+RW (ODD)
>> >
>> > All my hardware passed the Vista Upgrade advisor
>> >
>> > Any Idea's why, or what I should do?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > JC
>> >

>> > --
>> > One step closer to the edge...

PCfixinman

Re: Constant Vista Installation error's
Hi Rick,

How do I do a Barebones install?

thanks,

pcfixinman
--
One step closer to the edge...

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From the sounds of it, I should think that board would be fine. I'd start
> with a barebones install to eliminate any potential problems.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "PCfixinman" <PCfixinman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > After reading your post, I did some thinking.
> > I'm not sure if the MOBO is vista capable, but it was built on Feb 2 2007,
> > after Vista was released.(according to Bel-arc advisor)
> > Why would Biostar build a non vista board, after Vista was out(in RTM) for
> > Socket 939 CPU's in the end of Jan 07 ?
> > The BIOS is from March 07 & is the latest.
> > I forgot the CPU is a 4600+ X2
> > I do not have the system overclocked, I'll remove one set of the matched
> > pairs, to see if it helps.
> > I have the EVGA 320MB 8800GTS PCI-E Video Card.
> >
> > I tried upgrading from the XP pro SP2 install, it BSOD's right away &
> > reboots. I'll look in the Event Manager for what the error message is.
> > thanks,
> >
> > pcfixinman
> > --
> > One step closer to the edge...
> >

> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> The Upgrade Advisor can only report known conflicts, it is not a
> >> tell-all,
> >> know-all tool. Some thoughts:
> >>
> >> - you may need an updated BIOS
> >> - does Biostar list the board as Vista compatible?
> >> - just because the two pairs are matched does not mean they will work
> >> well
> >> with each other
> >> - what video card is in use?
> >> - is the system overclocked?
> >>
> >> The upgrade disk is designed to be started from within the existing
> >> installation - did you do this?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick Rogers

Re: Constant Vista Installation error's
Hi,

Remove all non-essential hardware, just leave the mouse and keyboard. No
printers, USB attachments, sound cards, game controllers, etc.