"May not have installed correctly" message for 50comupd.exe

Kak

"May not have installed correctly" message for 50comupd.exe
I have an application that has worked fine for years with XP and 2K. When I
install on a CP with Windows Vista Ultimate (must be Ultimate), I get a
message box saying that 50comupd.exe may not have installed correctly.

The message box gives me two options, "Reinstall using recommended settings"
, and "This program installed correctly". If I click either, everything is
fine.

But, I'd rather not get the message box at all. Does anyone know how I can
make that message box not appear?

Thank you
AJR

Re: "May not have installed correctly" message for 50comupd.exe
Let it alone. The messaage is from "UAC" - applications, generally
spesking, have "Standard " and "Administrative" rights much as there
StandardUsers abd Administrators.

The problem is that most legacy applications excerise Administrative rights
allowing additions, insertions, changes and so forth to system files
including the Registry. Standard right applications do not mess with system
settings - which is way Microsft "certifies" or "digitally signs"
applications.

Everytime you install such an application, and at times when you run them,
you get the UAC prompt and/or messasge. When you select "go ahead" UAC
creates a virtual copy of any, for instance Registry keys, the application
may alter so that the virtual copy is used and not the "original" key.

BTW - The administrative rights that an application may have is the
"biggest" back door for malware, viruss, spyware by piggy backing on the
applicatiom.

\Whew - That's All!!

"Kak" <kak@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>I have an application that has worked fine for years with XP and 2K. When
> install on a CP with Windows Vista Ultimate (must be Ultimate), I get a
> message box saying that 50comupd.exe may not have installed correctly.
>
> The message box gives me two options, "Reinstall using recommended
> settings"
> , and "This program installed correctly". If I click either, everything
> is
> fine.
>
> But, I'd rather not get the message box at all. Does anyone know how I can
> make that message box not appear?
>
> Thank you

Rick Rogers

Re: "May not have installed correctly" message for 50comupd.exe
That message is not UAC. It occurs because the installer detects that the
installation may not have been able to write to certain registry keys or
access some system folders to insert files. This can usually be resolved by
right clicking the setup file and using 'run as administrator'. It also may
occur when software is installed that is not fully Vista-compatible. In many
of these cases, it has fully installed, but has to be run in compatibility
mode or with elevated privileges.

UAC only notifies the user that a program is attempting to initialize that
may attempt to make changes to the system and/or its file set. Once given
permission to proceed by the user, UAC no longer monitors that application.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"AJR" <ajrjdr@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Let it alone. The messaage is from "UAC" - applications, generally
> spesking, have "Standard " and "Administrative" rights much as there
> StandardUsers abd Administrators.
>
> The problem is that most legacy applications excerise Administrative
> rights allowing additions, insertions, changes and so forth to system
> files including the Registry. Standard right applications do not mess
> with system settings - which is way Microsft "certifies" or "digitally
> signs" applications.
>
> Everytime you install such an application, and at times when you run
> them, you get the UAC prompt and/or messasge. When you select "go ahead"
> UAC creates a virtual copy of any, for instance Registry keys, the
> application may alter so that the virtual copy is used and not the
> "original" key.
>
> BTW - The administrative rights that an application may have is the
> "biggest" back door for malware, viruss, spyware by piggy backing on the
> applicatiom.
>
> \Whew - That's All!!
>

> "Kak" <kak@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
>>I have an application that has worked fine for years with XP and 2K. When
>> install on a CP with Windows Vista Ultimate (must be Ultimate), I get a
>> message box saying that 50comupd.exe may not have installed correctly.
>>
>> The message box gives me two options, "Reinstall using recommended
>> settings"
>> , and "This program installed correctly". If I click either, everything
>> is
>> fine.
>>
>> But, I'd rather not get the message box at all. Does anyone know how I
>> can
>> make that message box not appear?
>>
>> Thank you

AJR

Re: "May not have installed correctly" message for 50comupd.exe
I stand corrected!