US Vista - Activate and Update in another country

Logan™

US Vista - Activate and Update in another country
Hi,

I was hoping someone could clarify something for me.

I'm living in the UK, but travel back to the US at least once a year - I was
looking at buying Vista Ultimate, and I'd want the full retail package since
i chop and change my PC a lot.

Will I have any trouble with a US bought copy of Vista, activating and
updating it (Service packs etc)?

I know it was a total non-issue with XP, and I had assumed it would be the
same with Vista, it'll just work. Then a friend of mine planted a nice seed
of doubt, and he was convinced MS were 'cracking down' on copies of windows
being bought and moved around the globe - seemed unlikely to me, but thought
I'd check with some people in the know.

Thanks
Michael A. Covington

Re: US Vista - Activate and Update in another country
It's worth checking, but the EULA does not limit what countries you can use
a copy of Vista in.

"LoganT" <LoganT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I was hoping someone could clarify something for me.
>
> I'm living in the UK, but travel back to the US at least once a year - I
> was
> looking at buying Vista Ultimate, and I'd want the full retail package
> since
> i chop and change my PC a lot.
>
> Will I have any trouble with a US bought copy of Vista, activating and
> updating it (Service packs etc)?
>
> I know it was a total non-issue with XP, and I had assumed it would be the
> same with Vista, it'll just work. Then a friend of mine planted a nice
> seed
> of doubt, and he was convinced MS were 'cracking down' on copies of
> windows
> being bought and moved around the globe - seemed unlikely to me, but
> thought
> I'd check with some people in the know.
>
> Thanks

Paul Smith

"Logan™" <Logan™@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I'm living in the UK, but travel back to the US at least once a year - I
> was
> looking at buying Vista Ultimate, and I'd want the full retail package
> since
> i chop and change my PC a lot.
>
> Will I have any trouble with a US bought copy of Vista, activating and
> updating it (Service packs etc)?
>
> I know it was a total non-issue with XP, and I had assumed it would be the
> same with Vista, it'll just work. Then a friend of mine planted a nice
> seed
> of doubt, and he was convinced MS were 'cracking down' on copies of
> windows
> being bought and moved around the globe - seemed unlikely to me, but
> thought
> I'd check with some people in the know.

My US copy activated over the internet without a problem. As far as I know
the US and UK versions are bit for bit identical.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

John Barnett MVP

Re: US Vista - Activate and Update in another country
I'm in the UK and my copy is a US copy; it activated okay and updates fine.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org