"The Upgrade Was Not Successful"

Shreveport

"The Upgrade Was Not Successful"
Great info in that message....

I am upgrading from xp to ultimate. I have run the upgrade advisor and
another MS utility and it tells me I am fine...

I always get to the last step and after a boot I get the message, and then
rolled back.

1. How do I debug this?

2. If the four prior steps were fine, why not copy them instead of having to
redo them?

failure always happens at the very end.....

I am very angry with MS... And Frustrated... I Cannot even find the product
key for full support.....

ANy help is appreciated.....

RD
Mr. Arnold

Re: "The Upgrade Was Not Successful"

"Shreveport" <Shreveport@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Great info in that message....
>
> I am upgrading from xp to ultimate. I have run the upgrade advisor and
> another MS utility and it tells me I am fine...
>
> I always get to the last step and after a boot I get the message, and then
> rolled back.
>
> 1. How do I debug this?
>
> 2. If the four prior steps were fine, why not copy them instead of having
> redo them?
>
> failure always happens at the very end.....
>
> I am very angry with MS... And Frustrated... I Cannot even find the
> product
> key for full support.....
>

> ANy help is appreciated.....

The bottom line with an upgrade over XP with Vista is that it's trouble. You
might just want to back up your data. You can then boot off of upgrade DVD
and wipe out XP with formatting the HD and laying down Vista fresh.

The product key is inside the DVD jewel case on the sleeve when you pull it
open. I too had problems finding the product key.

math

"Shreveport" wrote:

> Great info in that message....
>
> I am upgrading from xp to ultimate. I have run the upgrade advisor and
> another MS utility and it tells me I am fine...
>
> I always get to the last step and after a boot I get the message, and then
> rolled back.
>
> 1. How do I debug this?
>
> 2. If the four prior steps were fine, why not copy them instead of having to
> redo them?
>
> failure always happens at the very end.....
>
> I am very angry with MS... And Frustrated... I Cannot even find the product
> key for full support.....
>

> ANy help is appreciated.....
>
> RD

Ok, i had the same problem, I DL the program to see if my pc was vista
capable after that error and it told me that its recomended to have 40GB of
free HDD space on my HDD. Since i had partitioned my Hdd into 20GB (WinXP
isntalled on it) and a 140Gb partition with al my programs. The space wasnt
enough.

Anyway it need to do a fresh install and the it all worked fine
Shreveport

RE: "The Upgrade Was Not Successful"

THanks for the replies so far... Not what I wanted to hear... I am
considering just sticking with xp...
rpossert

RE: "The Upgrade Was Not Successful"
Sorry to join the club, but my situation sounds quite familiar. Upgrade
advisor said all would be good to go. Mine makes it all the way to the last
step, and before it boots up for the first time, I get "The upgrade was
unsuccessful...loading previous OS..." or something like that.

1. Why is there not an exact cause listed (for failure to upgrade)?
2. If there is a cause, why the heck didn't upgrade advisor find it?
I agree with Shreveport's second question...and let me add on; why not stop
the installation/upgrade where it fails and provide you with some sort of
error code you can reference with MS on one of their plethera of support
areas?

I have been a loyal MS/Windows fan for 15 years...BS like this is slowly
starting to change my mind...