Windows Vista Easy Transfer hangs error

JG

Windows Vista Easy Transfer hangs error
Using Belkin Easy Transfer USB cable to transfer docs and setting from old
Win XP SP2 computer to new Vista computer. Transfer fails midstream; when
restarting, there is no recognition that there has already been a partial
transfer - starts over fresh each time.

Cable is securely attached, that's not the issue.

Transfer appears to be progressing from old/sending compute, but
new/receiving computer says it is "applying" the same small JPH file for more
than an hour - progress bar there is way behind the sending computer and not
moving. Taskbar says program is running. Hard disks on both computers are
being accessed.

The program is poorly designed in that it provides no real feedback or
diagnostics to determine if I should wait another 8 hours or so to see if
this will work, or if I should restart, due to this hanging on one file and
lack of progess on the receiving computer. The only feedback the program
provides is that the status bar on Vista computer, which is about 5% across,
shimmers, but this tells me nothing.

Any ideas?
Vik

RE: Windows Vista Easy Transfer hangs error
The application does not do an incremental migration. From your description
it suggests that the application is not moving on perhaps due to a locked
file (you should typically get a pop-up dialog box). Can you Alt-Tab and see
if there isn't a dialog box in the background waiting for your input asking
to Ignore, Cancel.

With the migration not running, you could rename the file and try it again.
You could also do a Custom migration and exclude the file and try the
migration.

Cheers!
Vik