BSOD Stop error code when installing Vista

bob42701

BSOD Stop error code when installing Vista
I found Vista Home Premium 32 bit oem version on tigerdirect for $115 and
decided to get it.

I keep getting this error code during the install process....

Stop: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x88ba0380, 0x86468680, 0x00000000)

My system info:

I built the computer myself like I do all my computers.
Motherboard: gigabyte ga-8penxp
Ram: corsair..2 512 ram sticks 3200
1 Maxtor 120 gig hard drive on a sata connector
1 Sony 810 dvd burner on a ide connector
OS: Windows XP pro

Note: this 32 bit oem version of Vista Home Premium does not allow the
upgrade option....it says I can not upgrade from XP pro to Vista Home....It
only allows the clean installation option.

I was running XP pro with NO problems.

I wrote zeros to the drive aka low level format and then used partition
magic 8 to set my new partition, set it active and format it as a ntfs drive.

I put the Vista dvd in the drive and booted the pc.
The black screen with the white progress bar saying windows files are
After the files are done I get the error code.

I also tried reinstalling xp pro, downloading all updates and drivers then
tried to install Vista.
It only allowed a clean install as stated above but it got farther.
It accepted my Vista key....
Went to the screen where it....
Copied files.....
Extracted Files....
it rebooted after extracting files and then I get the same error code.

When I do a google search for the error code, all I get is info for these
codes in regards to an XP install.
I guess Vista is still so new that there's not much info out there yet.

Oh yeah....I ran the Vista advisor before I bought it and it said my
computer will run Vista with no problems.

For now I'm using my server computer to talk to you.

Ok all you really smart computer guys.......any ideas?

I also tried these....

Wrote zeros to the drive and let Vista format the hard drive like XP will do
during startup of the install.
Same error code.

Wrote zeros to the drive....formatted it with the XP install...interrupted
the xp install and put the Vista in to install it and got same error code.

I just ran the ...Windows Memory Diagnostic and it found NO problems with my
memory.

I got it here......
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

I'm stumped
Rick Rogers

Re: BSOD Stop error code when installing Vista
Hi,

Remove the partition created by PM8, use Vista setup to create the volume
and format it. The NTFS used by Vista is slightly different from previous
versions, and I'm fairly certain the one created by PM8 is not compatible.

Check for any BIOS updates from Gigabyte, as this can be a cause of problems
as well.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"bob42701" <bob42701@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I found Vista Home Premium 32 bit oem version on tigerdirect for $115 and
> decided to get it.
>
> I keep getting this error code during the install process....
>
> Stop: 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0x88ba0380, 0x86468680, 0x00000000)
>
> My system info:
>
> I built the computer myself like I do all my computers.
> Motherboard: gigabyte ga-8penxp
> Ram: corsair..2 512 ram sticks 3200
> 1 Maxtor 120 gig hard drive on a sata connector
> 1 Sony 810 dvd burner on a ide connector
> OS: Windows XP pro
>
> Note: this 32 bit oem version of Vista Home Premium does not allow the
> upgrade option....it says I can not upgrade from XP pro to Vista
> Home....It
> only allows the clean installation option.
>
> I was running XP pro with NO problems.
>
> I wrote zeros to the drive aka low level format and then used partition
> magic 8 to set my new partition, set it active and format it as a ntfs
> drive.
>
> I put the Vista dvd in the drive and booted the pc.
> The black screen with the white progress bar saying windows files are
> After the files are done I get the error code.
>
> I also tried reinstalling xp pro, downloading all updates and drivers then
> tried to install Vista.
> It only allowed a clean install as stated above but it got farther.
> It accepted my Vista key....
> Went to the screen where it....
> Copied files.....
> Extracted Files....
> it rebooted after extracting files and then I get the same error code.
>
> When I do a google search for the error code, all I get is info for these
> codes in regards to an XP install.
> I guess Vista is still so new that there's not much info out there yet.
>
> Oh yeah....I ran the Vista advisor before I bought it and it said my
> computer will run Vista with no problems.
>
> For now I'm using my server computer to talk to you.
>
> Ok all you really smart computer guys.......any ideas?
>
> I also tried these....
>
> Wrote zeros to the drive and let Vista format the hard drive like XP will
> do
> during startup of the install.
> Same error code.
>
> Wrote zeros to the drive....formatted it with the XP install...interrupted
> the xp install and put the Vista in to install it and got same error code.
>
> I just ran the ...Windows Memory Diagnostic and it found NO problems with
> my
> memory.
>
> I got it here......
> http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp
>
> I'm stumped

bob42701

Re: BSOD Stop error code when installing Vista
Ok...i found 1 bug....burned out usb port...my laser mouse was hooked to it
but the laser light quit working some time ago.
I zero'ed the drive again....this time Vista started to install....formatted
drive....
copied files....
expanded files....
rebooted and got another error code just like before.
Only thing left for hardware issue is my ati x1600 pro video card
I took it out and tried an older ati 9700 pro but it gave me the same code.

I'm still stumped...it passed the advisor but gives me this error.....hmmmmm

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > When I do a google search for the error code, all I get is info for these
> > codes in regards to an XP install.
> > I guess Vista is still so new that there's not much info out there yet.
> >
> > Oh yeah....I ran the Vista advisor before I bought it and it said my
> > computer will run Vista with no problems.
> >
> > For now I'm using my server computer to talk to you.
> >
> > Ok all you really smart computer guys.......any ideas?
> >
> > I also tried these....
> >
> > Wrote zeros to the drive and let Vista format the hard drive like XP will
> > do
> > during startup of the install.
> > Same error code.
> >
> > Wrote zeros to the drive....formatted it with the XP install...interrupted
> > the xp install and put the Vista in to install it and got same error code.
> >
> > I just ran the ...Windows Memory Diagnostic and it found NO problems with

Kerry Brown

> Ok...i found 1 bug....burned out usb port...my laser mouse was hooked to
> it
> but the laser light quit working some time ago.
> I zero'ed the drive again....this time Vista started to
> install....formatted
> drive....
> copied files....
> expanded files....
> rebooted and got another error code just like before.
> Only thing left for hardware issue is my ati x1600 pro video card
> I took it out and tried an older ati 9700 pro but it gave me the same
> code.
>
> I'm still stumped...it passed the advisor but gives me this
> error.....hmmmmm

Do you have the latest BIOS? That error when installing any version of
Windows is often a BIOS problem.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

bob42701

Re: BSOD Stop error code when installing Vista
Yes...I have the latest bios.

I ran the advisor again and it said.....
There are no known system issues preventing you from upgrading to Windows
Vista.
There are no known device issues preventing you from upgrading to Windows
Vista.

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "bob42701" <bob42701@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok...i found 1 bug....burned out usb port...my laser mouse was hooked to
> > it
> > but the laser light quit working some time ago.
> > I zero'ed the drive again....this time Vista started to
> > install....formatted
> > drive....
> > copied files....
> > expanded files....
> > rebooted and got another error code just like before.
> > Only thing left for hardware issue is my ati x1600 pro video card
> > I took it out and tried an older ati 9700 pro but it gave me the same
> > code.
> >
> > I'm still stumped...it passed the advisor but gives me this
> > error.....hmmmmm
> >

> Do you have the latest BIOS? That error when installing any version of
> Windows is often a BIOS problem.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Rick Rogers

Re: BSOD Stop error code when installing Vista
Hi,

The key word is "known", as the the advisor cannot report on that which it
has no knowledge of. You stated there was a bad USB port, did you disable
this in the system BIOS?

--

> Yes...I have the latest bios.
>
> I ran the advisor again and it said.....
> There are no known system issues preventing you from upgrading to Windows
> Vista.
> There are no known device issues preventing you from upgrading to Windows
> Vista.
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
>> "bob42701" <bob42701@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ok...i found 1 bug....burned out usb port...my laser mouse was hooked
>> > it
>> > but the laser light quit working some time ago.
>> > I zero'ed the drive again....this time Vista started to
>> > install....formatted
>> > drive....
>> > copied files....
>> > expanded files....
>> > rebooted and got another error code just like before.
>> > Only thing left for hardware issue is my ati x1600 pro video card
>> > I took it out and tried an older ati 9700 pro but it gave me the same
>> > code.
>> >
>> > I'm still stumped...it passed the advisor but gives me this
>> > error.....hmmmmm
>> >

>> Do you have the latest BIOS? That error when installing any version of
>> Windows is often a BIOS problem.
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Kerry Brown

Re: BSOD Stop error code when installing Vista
"bob42701" <bob42701@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes...I have the latest bios.
>
> I ran the advisor again and it said.....
> There are no known system issues preventing you from upgrading to Windows
> Vista.
> There are no known device issues preventing you from upgrading to Windows
> Vista.

The Upgrade Advisor is just what it says, an advisor. It is a useful tool
for pointing out known incompatibilities. It doesn't catch everything. Here
is how I would troubleshoot your problem. Note this is for troubleshooting.
Once you figure out where the problem lays you can hook things back up and
perform a normal install minus the problem item.

1) Remove or physically disconnect everything not needed to boot the
computer and install Windows. You need one hard drive, one DVD drive, one
video card, one monitor, a keyboard and a mouse (preferably not USB).
Disconnect all external devices including ethernet cables, printers, card
readers, external drives, absolutely everything not needed for the install.

2) Set the BIOS to the default settings. Make sure RAID is turned off in the
BIOS if the motherboard has this capability.

3) Run a memory test program for at least four hours. I like memtest86+
(www.memtest.org). Vista is very particular about RAM. Systems that never
had a memory error with XP may not work with Vista because of marginal RAM.
I like to run memtest86+ overnight just to be sure.

4) Boot from the Vista DVD and perform a clean install. Delete all
partitions on the hard drive and create one partition for Vista. Do this
from within the Vista install, not with a 3rd party application before the
install. Don't create any other partitions at this point. You may need to
add a driver for the hard drive controller. Don't add any other drivers at
this point.

If Vista installs OK then start updating drivers and adding hardware until
the system breaks. You have now found the problem. Note that it may be a
combination of things or a weak PSU that finally gets overloaded as you add
things back in. You may need to do further troubleshooting.

If you still get the BSOD during the install with the minimal system then
it's time to talk to Gigabyte about Vista compatibility.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

bob42701

Re: BSOD Stop error code when installing Vista
Sorry for the delay in responding...I work 12 hour night shifts and its my
weekend to work.....

I unplugged everything except......
Serial keyboard and mouse
Ati x1600 pro video card (no onboard video)
Maxtor hd on a sata connector
Sony dvd burner
NEC 90gx2 monitor

I disabled usb support and raid in bios after resetting bios (i took battery
out and put back in)
I ran memtest for 6 hours and no errors....it ran perfect.
I booted to XP pro and started installation.
It copied files
It expanded files part way and rebooted and gave me this error...irql not
less or equal....this is a new error....maybe making some progress?....lol
It rebooted and rolled back to xp pro.

I tried installing again with ethernet hooked up because there is an
installation update....it recieved this fine.
it copied files
expanded files part way and rebooted with this error....0x0000007F
rebooted and rolled back to xp pro.

So I tried doing the install by booting to the Vista dvd....
It go to the first black screen where it shows the white progress bar and
says...windows is loading files...
After it loads the files...it gives me the 0x0000008e error.

This is so frustrating......lol
btw...thanks for all the help
Ok...now what?

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> "bob42701" <bob42701@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes...I have the latest bios.
> >
> > I ran the advisor again and it said.....
> > There are no known system issues preventing you from upgrading to Windows
> > Vista.
> > There are no known device issues preventing you from upgrading to Windows
> > Vista.
> >

> The Upgrade Advisor is just what it says, an advisor. It is a useful tool
> for pointing out known incompatibilities. It doesn't catch everything. Here
> is how I would troubleshoot your problem. Note this is for troubleshooting.
> Once you figure out where the problem lays you can hook things back up and
> perform a normal install minus the problem item.
>
> 1) Remove or physically disconnect everything not needed to boot the
> computer and install Windows. You need one hard drive, one DVD drive, one
> video card, one monitor, a keyboard and a mouse (preferably not USB).
> Disconnect all external devices including ethernet cables, printers, card
> readers, external drives, absolutely everything not needed for the install.
>
> 2) Set the BIOS to the default settings. Make sure RAID is turned off in the
> BIOS if the motherboard has this capability.
>
> 3) Run a memory test program for at least four hours. I like memtest86+
> (www.memtest.org). Vista is very particular about RAM. Systems that never
> had a memory error with XP may not work with Vista because of marginal RAM.
> I like to run memtest86+ overnight just to be sure.
>
> 4) Boot from the Vista DVD and perform a clean install. Delete all
> partitions on the hard drive and create one partition for Vista. Do this
> from within the Vista install, not with a 3rd party application before the
> install. Don't create any other partitions at this point. You may need to
> add a driver for the hard drive controller. Don't add any other drivers at
> this point.
>
> If Vista installs OK then start updating drivers and adding hardware until
> the system breaks. You have now found the problem. Note that it may be a
> combination of things or a weak PSU that finally gets overloaded as you add
> things back in. You may need to do further troubleshooting.
>
> If you still get the BSOD during the install with the minimal system then
> it's time to talk to Gigabyte about Vista compatibility.
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Kerry Brown

> Sorry for the delay in responding...I work 12 hour night shifts and its my
> weekend to work.....
>
> I unplugged everything except......
> Serial keyboard and mouse
> Ati x1600 pro video card (no onboard video)
> Maxtor hd on a sata connector
> Sony dvd burner
> NEC 90gx2 monitor
>
> I disabled usb support and raid in bios after resetting bios (i took
> battery
> out and put back in)
> I ran memtest for 6 hours and no errors....it ran perfect.
> I booted to XP pro and started installation.
> It copied files
> It expanded files part way and rebooted and gave me this error...irql not
> less or equal....this is a new error....maybe making some progress?....lol
> It rebooted and rolled back to xp pro.
>
> I tried installing again with ethernet hooked up because there is an
> installation update....it recieved this fine.
> it copied files
> expanded files part way and rebooted with this error....0x0000007F
> rebooted and rolled back to xp pro.
>
> So I tried doing the install by booting to the Vista dvd....
> It go to the first black screen where it shows the white progress bar and
> says...windows is loading files...
> After it loads the files...it gives me the 0x0000008e error.
>
> This is so frustrating......lol
> btw...thanks for all the help
> Ok...now what?

Try following the instructions in my last post :-)

You have to do a clean install deleting all the partitions and creating one
new one for Vista. This will erase everything on the drive including XP so
do not use a drive with data on it that you need or have a couple of tested
good backups that you can restore after troubleshooting.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

bob42701

Re: BSOD Stop error code when installing Vista
You must have missed the 3rd paragraph....

I booted to the Vista dvd to do the install....

After it loaded the files in the very first step.....it crashes to a
0x0000008e code way before i even enter a cd key.