SATA disk disappears after deleting Volume Shadow Copy by system, Update for Visual Studio 2005 , KB932232

Tony

SATA disk disappears after deleting Volume Shadow Copy by system, Update for Visual Studio 2005 , KB932232
Hi there.

A really funny thing happend on my way to the forum this morning :-)

After Microsoft's Update service installed the update for Visual Studio 2005
, KB932232 My Maxtor SATA disk completely disappeared (error (0x80070015) in
the logs.

According to the Windows Vista Ultimate System log and App logs Windows was
deleting a Volume Shadow Copy right before this happened

Anybody having any idea of where my SATA disk went and especially WHY ??

Restarting and chosing Last known good configuration did not help.

Kind regards,

Tony Thijs

System configuration

I have two drives, an ATA I boot from and a Maxtor sata disk connected to
Gigabyte onboard controlles, the SATA is connected to a Silicon Image 3112
SATA controller chipset

Vista starts from c:\ on the ata disk, under vista the second partitionof
the ATA disk is e:

d: is under vista the first partition of the sata disk and f: is the second
partition of the SATA disk

A sandisk Cruzer Micros 2Gb is recently (this week) configured as A
Readyboost device

Windows XP starts in dual boot from the second ata partition

Applog:

<<Source Restartmanager>>

6:47:45

Starting session 1 - 17-5-2007 4:47:45.

<<Source Visual Studio VSTemplate>>

6:58:55

Error in Template (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\IDE\ProjectTemplates\JSharp\Windows\1033 \CRJSharp.zip), file
(CrystalReportsApplication.vstemplate). Unregistered ProjectType (JSharp).
This can be caused by an incorrect ProjectType or because the project type
package is not installed.

6:59:22

One or more Visual Studio templates do not match any installed project
packages.

6:59:35

Error in Template (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
8\Common7\IDE\ItemTemplates\JSharp\1033\CrystalRep ort.zip), file
(CrystalReport.vstemplate). Unregistered ProjectType (JSharp). This can be
caused by an incorrect ProjectType or because the project type package is
not installed.

<<>>

<<Source Msinstaller>>

7:12:40

Product: Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU - Update
'Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team Explorer - ENU (KB932232)'
installed successfully.

7:12:40

Windows Installer installed an update. Product Name: Microsoft Visual Studio
2005 Professional Edition - ENU. Product Version: 8.0.50728. Product
Language: 1033. Update Name: Update for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Team
Explorer - ENU (KB932232). Installation success or error status: 0.

7:12:41

Product: Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU --
Configuration completed successfully.

7:12:41

Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Microsoft Visual
Studio 2005 Professional Edition - ENU. Product Version: 8.0.50728. Product
Language: 1033. Reconfiguration success or error status: 0.

<<>>

<<Source Restartmanager>>

7:12:42

Ending session 1 started 17-5-2007 4:47:45.

<<>>

<<Source System Restore>>

7:12:50

Successfully created restore point (Process =
C:\Windows\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs; Description = Windows Update).

<Source Search>>

7:15:50

Notifications for the volume d:\ are not active.

Context: Windows Application

Details:

The device is not ready. (0x80070015)

7:15:59

Notifications for the volume f:\ are not active.

Context: Windows Application

Details:

The device is not ready. (0x80070015)

<<>>

After this point outlook starts generating messages because d: is not there
anymore

System Log

<<Source: service control manager eventlog provider>>

7:00:03

The start type of the Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN v2.0.50727_X86 service
was changed from demand start to auto start.

<<>>

<<Source VOLSNAP>>

T7:03:11he oldest shadow copy of volume C: was deleted to keep disk space
usage for shadow copies of volume C: below the user defined limit.

<<>>

<<Source: service control manager eventlog provider>>

7:13:11

The Windows Modules Installer service entered the running state.

<<>>

<<Source Application popup>>

7:00:15:37

Application popup: Windows - Delayed Write Failed : Exception Processing
Message 0xc000a082 Parameters 0x7572023C 0x7572023C 0x7572023C 0x7572023C

<<>>

<<Source plugplaymanager>>

The device 'Maxtor 6 V160E0 SCSI Disk Device'
(SCSI\Disk&Ven_Maxtor_6&Prod_V160E0&Rev_VA11\4&11d af645&0&000000)
disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

Don

Re: SATA disk disappears after deleting Volume Shadow Copy by system,Update for Visual Studio 2005 , KB932232
Tony wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> A really funny thing happend on my way to the forum this morning :-)
>
> After Microsoft's Update service installed the update for Visual Studio
> 2005 , KB932232 My Maxtor SATA disk completely disappeared (error
> (0x80070015) in the logs.
>
> According to the Windows Vista Ultimate System log and App logs Windows
> was deleting a Volume Shadow Copy right before this happened
>
> Anybody having any idea of where my SATA disk went and especially WHY ??

Um, no. But no one else here seems to know, so I'll offer my uneducated
opinion.

> Restarting and chosing Last known good configuration did not help.

IIUC 'configuration' refers to your list of installed device drivers,
and this doesn't smell like a driver problem to me.

> System Log

....> <<Source VOLSNAP>>

Oops, that rings a bell. There is a well-documented but not well
publicized incompatibility between XP's version and Vista's version
of VOLSNAP. The result is that multi-booting between XP and Vista
will delete Vista's restore points, and that IIUC includes shadow
copies of volumes. (Corrections eagerly requested.)

My unfounded theory is that you had some kind of unfortunate
interaction between XP and Vista which caused this mishap -- but I
can't tell you just how.

I'm curious to know if the command-line utility DISKPART shows the
SATA disk, and possibly its partition table. (I'm assuming that
Device Manager stills shows your SATA disk controller as working?)

Oh, and the drive still shows up in XP normally?

dsc

Re: SATA disk disappears after deleting Volume Shadow Copy by system, Update for Visual Studio 2005 , KB932232

I may have a very similar problem.
My external harddrive (maxtor 3200) has had what seemed to be massive
filesystem inconsistencies after I tried to mirror it to a larger drive
using robocopy.
(lots of files named 666 or a, b, c etc. which couldn't be found)
After a while seemed also the partition table was deleted from the
drive (I tried some data recovery tools, which, after all this, I
realize wasn't very wise). After restoring the partition table using a
tool called testdisk, I could access the files again, no inconsistencies
to be found by either me or using CHKDSK.

Next morning, the maxotr drive had disappeared from the "computer" view
in finder, again. It did not show up in diskmanagement and wasn't
recognized by DISKPART,
but both programms claim there is no partition on it.
A tool called testdisk also claimed no partition, and writing the
patition table I had noted down earlier didn't seem to change anything.

Then I connect my disk to an XP computer, and everything is fine. The
partition table, the files, everything is there.

I'm not good in reading the event log and I'm not sure what to post.
There seems to have been a system upgrade and a reboot during the
night, an error from explorer.exe, and
there is also something in connection to volume shadow copy service,
but I don't know if it's relevant to the problem.

Do you think my drive is just dying of age?

--
dsc