Unorthodox Business to Ultimate

Dan

Unorthodox Business to Ultimate
I downloaded and installed Vista Business from the school MSDNAA server.
After recently getting a job as a PM w/ MS they sent me a copy of Vista
Ultimate in the mail. I would like to upgrade the version of Business that
i'm running to Ultimate and i'm not sure the best way to do this. I tried
just running setup off the Ultimate dvd, and the installer seemed not to
recognize that the system was already running Vista and not XP. Everything
went fine anyway until about 60% through the final phase of the install
(configuring your upgrade) at which point it rebooted. When the system came
back it went to the boot screen which showed three options: Windows Vista,
Setup Rollback, and Windows Vista. Seeing "Windows Vista" on their twice was
a red flag to me and sure enough, setup was unable to load itself (it threw a
blue screen). It left me with no choice but to roll back the install to
Business.

I'm wondering if there's a special process just to upgrade from one version
of Vista. I feel like it shouldn't have to go through the entire song and
dance of copying, gathering, expanding, etc all the files like it did to
upgrade from XP to Vista.

Any thoughts?

PS - MS support in India was embarrassingly awful - suppose that will teach
me.
Mr. Arnold

Re: Unorthodox Business to Ultimate

>I downloaded and installed Vista Business from the school MSDNAA server.
> After recently getting a job as a PM w/ MS they sent me a copy of Vista
> Ultimate in the mail. I would like to upgrade the version of Business that
> i'm running to Ultimate and i'm not sure the best way to do this. I tried
> just running setup off the Ultimate dvd, and the installer seemed not to
> recognize that the system was already running Vista and not XP. Everything
> went fine anyway until about 60% through the final phase of the install
> (configuring your upgrade) at which point it rebooted. When the system
> came
> back it went to the boot screen which showed three options: Windows Vista,
> Setup Rollback, and Windows Vista. Seeing "Windows Vista" on their twice
> was
> a red flag to me and sure enough, setup was unable to load itself (it
> threw a
> blue screen). It left me with no choice but to roll back the install to
> Business.
>
> I'm wondering if there's a special process just to upgrade from one
> version
> of Vista. I feel like it shouldn't have to go through the entire song and
> dance of copying, gathering, expanding, etc all the files like it did to
> upgrade from XP to Vista.
>
> Any thoughts?

Well, I went from Premium to Ultimate with out a hitch, but the new laptop
had been in use only a week before I upgraded. I suggest you try the upgrade
again, but do a chkdsk first, which fixed a problem with a XP upgrade to
Vista; it's worth a shot.

Sometimes a MS install or upgrade of any MS O/S just won't take at first,
you have to do it again.

You can also back up your data if need be, boot off the Upgrade DVD and
format the HD and lay down the O/S fresh.