Install OS to external drive possible?

katy

Install OS to external drive possible?
I apologize if this was answered yet but is it possible to install Vista to
an external drive? During beta period I had attempted to install the vista
beta to my WD external drive and was told by tech support that it wasn't
possible (at that time). Has this changed now so that it IS now possible?

and is it possible to install ANY operating system to an external drive?

Thanks for any help!!!

katy

Rick Rogers

Re: Install OS to external drive possible?
Hi Katy,

No can do, it's not a supported installation scenario.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"katy" <fairytale_4@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I apologize if this was answered yet but is it possible to install Vista to
>an external drive? During beta period I had attempted to install the vista
>beta to my WD external drive and was told by tech support that it wasn't
>possible (at that time). Has this changed now so that it IS now possible?
>
> and is it possible to install ANY operating system to an external drive?
>
> Thanks for any help!!!
>
> katy

Jerry McBride

katy wrote:

> I apologize if this was answered yet but is it possible to install Vista
> an external drive? During beta period I had attempted to install the
> vista beta to my WD external drive and was told by tech support that it
> wasn't
> possible (at that time). Has this changed now so that it IS now possible?
>
> and is it possible to install ANY operating system to an external drive?

ANY operating system? Yup, Linux will do that, no problems. If you have
relatively recent hardware, you can even boot off it when it's done
installing...

--

Jerry McBride
Don

Jerry McBride wrote:
> katy wrote:
>
>> I apologize if this was answered yet but is it possible to install Vista
>> an external drive? During beta period I had attempted to install the
>> vista beta to my WD external drive and was told by tech support that it
>> wasn't
>> possible (at that time). Has this changed now so that it IS now possible?
>>
>> and is it possible to install ANY operating system to an external drive?
>>

> ANY operating system? Yup, Linux will do that, no problems. If you have
> relatively recent hardware, you can even boot off it when it's done
> installing...

Any of the BSD's will also boot from a USB stick or other external
drive, as long as the machine's BIOS supports it. Seems to me I
once saw a reference to a home-brew version of XP which would live
on a USB stick. Maybe google would reveal it.