Installtion Error.

Wise

Installtion Error.
All right, last night my parent's bought a new computer because there old
laptop, well, was wearing out. It came with the windows vista home premium
cd, I have wanted vista for ALONG time, well since it came out, so I used it
to install on my computer. I typed in the serial key, and click the "Keep my
files" choice. Then, it started test. Soon it told me I needed to get rid of
Norton 2006. So I did and restarted the setup. I went to bed. When I woke up
this morning it said something about an error and how I needed to restart the
disk and click the "Repair option". So I did that. When I got home from
school, it still was check for problems. Now here are my questions;

If this doesn’t work, Will I be able to run a recovery and have it return to
XP?

How long does this normally take?

Thanks.
Rick Rogers

Re: Installtion Error.
Hi,

Normally? Maybe an hour. If you are prompted to repair, then the initial
install finished, and then the first logon failed. That's not good, as you
can't cancel out anything and backoff the installation. Your choices are
probably going to be very limited if the repair fails, and likely only going
to be able to format and clean install XP.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Wise" <Wise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> All right, last night my parent's bought a new computer because there old
> laptop, well, was wearing out. It came with the windows vista home premium
> cd, I have wanted vista for ALONG time, well since it came out, so I used
> it
> to install on my computer. I typed in the serial key, and click the "Keep
> my
> files" choice. Then, it started test. Soon it told me I needed to get rid
> of
> Norton 2006. So I did and restarted the setup. I went to bed. When I woke
> up
> this morning it said something about an error and how I needed to restart
> the
> disk and click the "Repair option". So I did that. When I got home from
> school, it still was check for problems. Now here are my questions;
>
> If this doesn’t work, Will I be able to run a recovery and have it return
> XP?
>
> How long does this normally take?
>
> Thanks.

Wise

RE: Installtion Error.
Wow. That suck's. I didnt backup anything, mainly becuase I heard that the
update was safe. Now if the repair dosn't work, Ive lost all my artwork, and
my programming source's. Also, this repair has been running for 13hrs. Would
there be a reason behind that?! I have a 200GB hard drive about 180GB is
being used, would that possibly make it take Alot longer to scan?!
Rick Rogers

Re: Installtion Error.
Hi,

One should never, ever upgrade without first backing up data.

Part of the problem may lie in the smallish amount of remaining disk space.
If the repair seems to be progressing, let it continue, you may still come
out of it.