Reinsalled Vista

thomasanthonyford

Reinsalled Vista
Ive just reinstalled Vista on my laptop. I had it activated when i got
it and today i had to wipe the hdd and reinstall it. Because my copy
of vista was an upgrade the coa was stuck on to the disc case cover
and now i cant find it! how can i find my old coa and register vista?

Bruce Chambers

Re: Reinsalled Vista
thomasanthonyford wrote:
> Ive just reinstalled Vista on my laptop. I had it activated when i got
> it and today i had to wipe the hdd and reinstall it. Because my copy
> of vista was an upgrade the coa was stuck on to the disc case cover
> and now i cant find it! how can i find my old coa and register vista?

The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
installation) is not on the installation CD in any way, shape, or form.
It is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker that says
"Do not lose this number." If it was an OEM (factory installed)
license, it's stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to the
exterior of the PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

To recover a lost Product Key:

If your system still runs, you should be able to use Belarc Advisor
from http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html to find the Product Key.
(If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and haven't since
reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably of the drive
image used at the factory and not your specific Product Key; therefore,
it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not be -- used for a
re-installation.)

If it was a retail license and you have proof of purchase:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...B;en-us;326246

If it was an OEM license, you should contact the computer's
manufacturer; although very few manufacturers/vendors keep records of
the Product Keys they've sold, it's worth a try before you have to buy a
new license.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Milhouse Van Houten

Re: Reinsalled Vista
> thomasanthonyford wrote:
>> Ive just reinstalled Vista on my laptop. I had it activated when i got
>> it and today i had to wipe the hdd and reinstall it. Because my copy
>> of vista was an upgrade the coa was stuck on to the disc case cover
>> and now i cant find it! how can i find my old coa and register vista?
>>

> The Windows 25-character Product Key (required to perform the
> installation) is not on the installation CD in any way, shape, or form. It
> is stored on the CD packaging on a bright orange sticker that says "Do not
> lose this number." If it was an OEM (factory installed) license, it's
> stored on a label that the PC manufacturer affixed to the exterior of the
> PC case, or on the bottom of a laptop.

Is it possible in Vista to backup the activation file(s) and then simply
restore the file(s) after the reinstall, like it was in XP? If so, does
anyone have details on which files?

Bruce Chambers

Re: Reinsalled Vista
Milhouse Van Houten wrote:

> Is it possible in Vista to backup the activation file(s) and then simply
> restore the file(s) after the reinstall, like it was in XP? If so, does
> anyone have details on which files?

I wouldn't think it worth the bother; that technique worked only under
a very narrow set of circumstances with WinXP, and was more trouble than
the activation process.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: