Vista Volume License

WallyG

Vista Volume License
I purchased what I thought was a full version of Windows Vista Business
Volume license CD. I also purchased the Volume License to go with it. When I
received the media, it is labeled Microsoft Windows Vista Business Upgrade.
My volume license says the same thing. I have not opened it yet in case I
have to return it. Does the upgrade look for a previous version of Windows
before it will install? I am trying to build an image from scratch. Thanks.
Bruce Chambers

Re: Vista Volume License
WallyG wrote:
> I purchased what I thought was a full version of Windows Vista Business
> Volume license CD. I also purchased the Volume License to go with it. When I
> received the media, it is labeled Microsoft Windows Vista Business Upgrade.
> My volume license says the same thing. I have not opened it yet in case I
> have to return it. Does the upgrade look for a previous version of Windows
> before it will install? I am trying to build an image from scratch. Thanks.

It sounds like you've been scammed/defrauded.

To the best of my knowledge, all Microsoft Volume licenses are
Upgrades, and can be purchased only in increments of 5. Did you
purchase this license from an authorized Microsoft VL reseller?

Microsoft Licensing
http://www.microsoft.com/LICENSING/default.mspx

Product Information Center - Microsoft Licensing Program Resellers (U.S.
Only)
http://www.microsoft.com/products/in...t=22/licensing

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

WallyG

Re: Vista Volume License
Yes. I purchased it from our vendor. We have been dealing with them for
years. They are MS VL authorized.

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> WallyG wrote:
> > I purchased what I thought was a full version of Windows Vista Business
> > Volume license CD. I also purchased the Volume License to go with it. When I
> > received the media, it is labeled Microsoft Windows Vista Business Upgrade.
> > My volume license says the same thing. I have not opened it yet in case I
> > have to return it. Does the upgrade look for a previous version of Windows
> > before it will install? I am trying to build an image from scratch. Thanks.

> It sounds like you've been scammed/defrauded.
>
> To the best of my knowledge, all Microsoft Volume licenses are
> Upgrades, and can be purchased only in increments of 5. Did you
> purchase this license from an authorized Microsoft VL reseller?
>
> Microsoft Licensing
> http://www.microsoft.com/LICENSING/default.mspx
>
> Product Information Center - Microsoft Licensing Program Resellers (U.S.
> Only)
> http://www.microsoft.com/products/in...t=22/licensing
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. -Bertrand Russell

BigJim

Re: Vista Volume License
my vista is a volume license and it is a full install disk.
"WallyG" <WallyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I purchased what I thought was a full version of Windows Vista Business
> Volume license CD. I also purchased the Volume License to go with it. When
> received the media, it is labeled Microsoft Windows Vista Business
> Upgrade.
> My volume license says the same thing. I have not opened it yet in case I
> have to return it. Does the upgrade look for a previous version of Windows
> before it will install? I am trying to build an image from scratch.
> Thanks.

WallyG

Re: Vista Volume License
This is what I was afraid of. I'm sure I'll have to do back flips to return
it for the correct one. Argh!

"BigJim" wrote:

> my vista is a volume license and it is a full install disk.
> "WallyG" <WallyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I purchased what I thought was a full version of Windows Vista Business
> > Volume license CD. I also purchased the Volume License to go with it. When
> > received the media, it is labeled Microsoft Windows Vista Business
> > Upgrade.
> > My volume license says the same thing. I have not opened it yet in case I
> > have to return it. Does the upgrade look for a previous version of Windows
> > before it will install? I am trying to build an image from scratch.
> > Thanks.

WallyG

Re: Vista Volume License
Just got out of a conference call with the vendor we purchased Vista from and
a Microsoft Lincesing rep. Apparently, you cannot purchase a full copy of
Vista Business. They are only offering it as an upgrade. They never did this
with XP or 2k. What's going on?

"WallyG" wrote:

> This is what I was afraid of. I'm sure I'll have to do back flips to return
> it for the correct one. Argh!
>

> "BigJim" wrote:
>
> > my vista is a volume license and it is a full install disk.
> > "WallyG" <WallyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I purchased what I thought was a full version of Windows Vista Business
> > > Volume license CD. I also purchased the Volume License to go with it. When
> > > received the media, it is labeled Microsoft Windows Vista Business
> > > Upgrade.
> > > My volume license says the same thing. I have not opened it yet in case I
> > > have to return it. Does the upgrade look for a previous version of Windows
> > > before it will install? I am trying to build an image from scratch.
> > > Thanks.

Bruce Chambers

Re: Vista Volume License
WallyG wrote:
> Just got out of a conference call with the vendor we purchased Vista from and
> a Microsoft Lincesing rep. Apparently, you cannot purchase a full copy of
> Vista Business. They are only offering it as an upgrade.

Yes, that's the way Volume Licensing has worked for quite some time
now; as an upgrade license only. Granted, the VL installation media for
Win2K and WinXP could be used to perform clean installations, but you
still had to maintain the original, qualifying licenses for auditing
purposes (one of the conditions of the volume license).

> They never did this
> with XP or 2k.

Actually, they did.

> What's going on?

Nothing new, unless the Vista VL installation media has been designed
to perform only clean installations (unlikely - few businesses would
find this acceptable); it's been like this for all of WinXP's existence,
and - I'm 95% certain - for Win2K's.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: Vista Volume License
That is the way Volume Licenses for Microsoft operating systems work
and it is not new to Windows XP.
The Volume Licenses are sold as an upgrade to be installed on
computers already with a qualifying operating system.

The only change may have been the way the media responds.
With Windows XP, a Clean Installation could be performed with upgrade
media, the same is not true with Windows Vista when the upgrade
Product Key is input.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

> Just got out of a conference call with the vendor we purchased Vista
> from and
> a Microsoft Lincesing rep. Apparently, you cannot purchase a full
> copy of
> Vista Business. They are only offering it as an upgrade. They never
> did this
> with XP or 2k. What's going on?
>
> "WallyG" wrote:
>
>> This is what I was afraid of. I'm sure I'll have to do back flips
>> to return
>> it for the correct one. Argh!
>>

>> "BigJim" wrote:
>>
>> > my vista is a volume license and it is a full install disk.

Joe Morris

Re: Vista Volume License
"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
> WallyG wrote:

>> Just got out of a conference call with the vendor we purchased Vista from
>> and a Microsoft Lincesing rep. Apparently, you cannot purchase a full
>> copy of Vista Business. They are only offering it as an upgrade.

> Yes, that's the way Volume Licensing has worked for quite some time now;
> as an upgrade license only. Granted, the VL installation media for Win2K
> and WinXP could be used to perform clean installations, but you still had
> to maintain the original, qualifying licenses for auditing purposes (one
> of the conditions of the volume license).

I think there is some confusion between the media with the license.

Assuming that the OP (Wally) is running under an EA or SELECT agreement
(possibly Academic?) the rules of the game FOR LICENSING are that the volume
license can be used only on computers for which a full Windows license has
previously been purchased. From that standpoint the volume license is, in
fact, an "upgrade only" product. That, as you (Bruce) say, is nothing new.

However...it's the *license* that is being upgraded. At least in the SELECT
and EA environments I've been working with for the past decade or so, there
is no restriction saying that you have to actually upgrade an existing
image: you're still within the license terms if you use the volume media to
make a fresh load for brand-new disks IF the computer already has a license.
Thus, my shop buys new computers with Windows licenses, but our provisioning
process blows away everything that the OEM vendor put on the hard disk and
replaces it with an image we've built from volume media.

Now...the recent change: beginning with Vista, Microsoft is shipping only
upgrade Windows media with the SELECT, EA, and Academic distributions.
Volume customers who want the full install media download it directly from
the secured Microsoft web site.

Just now I went out to the download site and verified that it offers Vista
Business in both full and upgrade mode, in both DVD and CD image format
(plus a full version DVD for 64-bit systems).

Your VAR may or may not carry the full installation media, or perhaps your
organization's volume license does not include the full Vista Business
product -- but it does exist. Find whoever in your organization is the
licensing spe******t; that person should be able to tell you whether your
VAR or the Microsoft licensing rep is blowing hot air.

Joe Morris

...winston

Re: Vista Volume License
Joe,
A similar install method is used with large corporations that buy OEM machines(Compaq, Dell, Micron) for deployment across existing or new machines for multiple users. This same method was in place on XP and W2K. Note: In some cases a separate addendum/supplemental(contract/line item purchase order specification) to the VAR could be in place or required to have full access to the media.

The practice is not routinely common nor are all avenues of Msft support aware of supplemental agreements between msft and a private/public business entity.

..winston

: