Change to Windows XP

Claudio

Change to Windows XP
Hello
I have a new HP notebook and there some applications that don´t work quite
right. So I called HP and they told me that there is a "Down Grip", I type it
between quotes because is what i heard I´m not sure that is written this way,
anyway , by using this (down grip), you can install Windows XP, but still
keeping your Windows Vista License.
Is there some data about how to get this?
or how really works? or if is it really exist....
Thanks for your inputs.
Bye

Richard G. Harper

Re: Change to Windows XP
If there is, HP would need to provide both Windows XP media and a Windows XP
key for you. Ask them.

"Claudio" <Claudio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I have a new HP notebook and there some applications that dont work quite
> right. So I called HP and they told me that there is a "Down Grip", I type
> it
> between quotes because is what i heard Im not sure that is written this
> way,
> anyway , by using this (down grip), you can install Windows XP, but still
> keeping your Windows Vista License.
> Is there some data about how to get this?
> or how really works? or if is it really exist....
> Thanks for your inputs.
> Bye

Rick Rogers

Re: Change to Windows XP
Hi Claudio,

I believe they were referring to 'down grade' rights, which some builders
offer. As Richard has stated, if this is an option, it is HP that would need
to supply you with the appropriate media disk and product key.

The programs you are having issues with may require updates or patches from
the vendors, you should check with each for these. Programs supplied with
the system by HP should already be compatible (and if not you need to bring
this to HP's attention). It may also help to run some in compatibility mode,
just right click the startup icon and choose properties, you will find this
option on the compatibility tab.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Claudio" <Claudio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I have a new HP notebook and there some applications that don´t work quite
> right. So I called HP and they told me that there is a "Down Grip", I type
> it
> between quotes because is what i heard I´m not sure that is written this
> way,
> anyway , by using this (down grip), you can install Windows XP, but still
> keeping your Windows Vista License.
> Is there some data about how to get this?
> or how really works? or if is it really exist....
> Thanks for your inputs.
> Bye

Mr. Arnold

Re: Change to Windows XP

"Claudio" <Claudio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I have a new HP notebook and there some applications that don´t work quite
> right. So I called HP and they told me that there is a "Down Grip", I type
> it
> between quotes because is what i heard I´m not sure that is written this
> way,
> anyway , by using this (down grip), you can install Windows XP, but still
> keeping your Windows Vista License.
> Is there some data about how to get this?
> or how really works? or if is it really exist....

I have a HP notebook with Vista and everything works right. You should
install Vista compliant software on the machine, if you want things to work
right.

Bruce Chambers

Re: Change to Windows XP
Mr. Arnold wrote:

> I have a HP notebook with Vista and everything works right. You should
> install Vista compliant software on the machine, if you want things to
> work right.

Your assessment is technically correct (not that I'd ever recommend
anyone buy a computer from HP), but not particularly realistic.

Lots of people have a great deal of money invested in older
applications, many of which are crucial to their business/livelihood.
Often, the manufacturers of these legacy applications lag far behind in
providing updates to make their products compatible with a new OS, or,
more often then not, they want to sell an entire new version of their
application. Not even large corporations, much less small business
owners, can afford to replace their entire OS and software suite in one
fell swoop.

A better course for the OP would have been to either order/purchase a
laptop with the OS that he knew worked for him, or waited until the
manufacturers of his essential applications and devices had provided
Vista-compatible versions and drivers.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Ron Martell

Re: Change to Windows XP
Claudio <Claudio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello
>I have a new HP notebook and there some applications that dont work quite
>right. So I called HP and they told me that there is a "Down Grip", I type it
>between quotes because is what i heard Im not sure that is written this way,
>anyway , by using this (down grip), you can install Windows XP, but still
>keeping your Windows Vista License.
>Is there some data about how to get this?
>or how really works? or if is it really exist....
>Thanks for your inputs.
>Bye

Downgrade rights to Windows XP Pro are included with OEM versions of
Windows Vista Business and Windows Vista Ultimate. They are not
available with OEM versions of Windows Home Basic or Premium.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...rade_chart.doc

Insofar as I am aware the actual downgrade procedure requires that you
obtain a Windows XP Pro OEM installation CD, install the software
using that product key and then do a telephone activation. You
inform the activation clerk that you are downgrading from Windows
Vista and need a new installation key.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--