Activating Windows Vista

Andrew

Activating Windows Vista
I'm on Home Premium 64bit and installed on this computer. Then upgraded the
CPU, RAM and replaced the motherboard. On the first install I activated
Windows and when I try to activate now it says my key is already in use.
Anyone know what I should do?
Mr. Arnold

Re: Activating Windows Vista

"Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm on Home Premium 64bit and installed on this computer. Then upgraded
> the
> CPU, RAM and replaced the motherboard. On the first install I activated
> Windows and when I try to activate now it says my key is already in use.
> Anyone know what I should do?

You call MS Activation Support to have them reactivate it.You should have
seen a phone number somewhere in your attempt to activate it.

Rick Rogers

Re: Activating Windows Vista
Hi Andrew,

Start activation, choose the option to phone it in. If it doesn't do it
through the automated system, get a representative on the line and explain
what you did.

By the by, if this copy of Vista was OEM (purchased as stand-alone OEM disk
or came preinstalled on the system), then you cannot migrate it to new
hardware and would need a new license for Vista. Only retail box versions of
Vista can be moved to different hardware, OEM versions are locked to
hardware they are first activated on.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm on Home Premium 64bit and installed on this computer. Then upgraded
> the
> CPU, RAM and replaced the motherboard. On the first install I activated
> Windows and when I try to activate now it says my key is already in use.
> Anyone know what I should do?

Andrew

Re: Activating Windows Vista
Oh dear, its OEM.
Thanks for your help anyway.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Start activation, choose the option to phone it in. If it doesn't do it
> through the automated system, get a representative on the line and explain
> what you did.
>
> By the by, if this copy of Vista was OEM (purchased as stand-alone OEM disk
> or came preinstalled on the system), then you cannot migrate it to new
> hardware and would need a new license for Vista. Only retail box versions of
> Vista can be moved to different hardware, OEM versions are locked to
> hardware they are first activated on.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm on Home Premium 64bit and installed on this computer. Then upgraded
> > the
> > CPU, RAM and replaced the motherboard. On the first install I activated
> > Windows and when I try to activate now it says my key is already in use.
> > Anyone know what I should do?

Tim

Re: Activating Windows Vista
Hmmmm...I think that if all Andrew did was to upgrade those three components
that would not equate to a different "box" and it would be legal for him to
use the same OEM license. When he phones in the activation he would only
need to explain what he upgraded and he should be activated without a
problem. But I'm not a EULA expert either...

Tim

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Start activation, choose the option to phone it in. If it doesn't do it
> through the automated system, get a representative on the line and explain
> what you did.
>
> By the by, if this copy of Vista was OEM (purchased as stand-alone OEM
> disk or came preinstalled on the system), then you cannot migrate it to
> new hardware and would need a new license for Vista. Only retail box
> versions of Vista can be moved to different hardware, OEM versions are
> locked to hardware they are first activated on.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I'm on Home Premium 64bit and installed on this computer. Then upgraded
>> the
>> CPU, RAM and replaced the motherboard. On the first install I activated
>> Windows and when I try to activate now it says my key is already in use.
>> Anyone know what I should do?

Rick Rogers

Re: Activating Windows Vista
Niether am I an expert at the EULA, but a new motherboard, cpu, and ram is
essentially a new system. All other components can be swapped with minimal
impact on how a system operates, but those core ones define the system's
capabilities.

--

"Tim" <timfeld_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hmmmm...I think that if all Andrew did was to upgrade those three
> components that would not equate to a different "box" and it would be
> legal for him to use the same OEM license. When he phones in the
> activation he would only need to explain what he upgraded and he should be
> activated without a problem. But I'm not a EULA expert either...
>
> Tim

>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> Start activation, choose the option to phone it in. If it doesn't do it
>> through the automated system, get a representative on the line and
>> explain what you did.
>>
>> By the by, if this copy of Vista was OEM (purchased as stand-alone OEM
>> disk or came preinstalled on the system), then you cannot migrate it to
>> new hardware and would need a new license for Vista. Only retail box
>> versions of Vista can be moved to different hardware, OEM versions are
>> locked to hardware they are first activated on.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm on Home Premium 64bit and installed on this computer. Then upgraded
>>> the
>>> CPU, RAM and replaced the motherboard. On the first install I activated
>>> Windows and when I try to activate now it says my key is already in use.
>>> Anyone know what I should do?

f/fgeorge

Re: Activating Windows Vista
I tried this with XP Pro and ran into problems. I have a Dell and
upgraded the mb, ram and cpu and the idiot in India, or wherever, gave
me nothing but grief. Said I should call Dell to get a new number!

On Wed, 16 May 2007 15:13:34 -0600, "Tim" <timfeld_at_hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hmmmm...I think that if all Andrew did was to upgrade those three components
>that would not equate to a different "box" and it would be legal for him to
>use the same OEM license. When he phones in the activation he would only
>need to explain what he upgraded and he should be activated without a
>problem. But I'm not a EULA expert either...
>
>Tim
>

>"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> Hi Andrew,
>>
>> Start activation, choose the option to phone it in. If it doesn't do it
>> through the automated system, get a representative on the line and explain
>> what you did.
>>
>> By the by, if this copy of Vista was OEM (purchased as stand-alone OEM
>> disk or came preinstalled on the system), then you cannot migrate it to
>> new hardware and would need a new license for Vista. Only retail box
>> versions of Vista can be moved to different hardware, OEM versions are
>> locked to hardware they are first activated on.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Andrew" <Andrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> I'm on Home Premium 64bit and installed on this computer. Then upgraded
>>> the
>>> CPU, RAM and replaced the motherboard. On the first install I activated
>>> Windows and when I try to activate now it says my key is already in use.
>>> Anyone know what I should do?

Michael A. Covington

Re: Activating Windows Vista
I think XP OEM licenses really are tied to a motherboard, not a "system."

"f/fgeorge" <ffgeorge@yourplace.com> wrote in message
news4kn431tkmg1t8t6pvvnetc6l96k29raoj@4ax.com...
>I tried this with XP Pro and ran into problems. I have a Dell and
> upgraded the mb, ram and cpu and the idiot in India, or wherever, gave
> me nothing but grief. Said I should call Dell to get a new number!
>
> On Wed, 16 May 2007 15:13:34 -0600, "Tim" <timfeld_at_hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Hmmmm...I think that if all Andrew did was to upgrade those three
>>components
>>that would not equate to a different "box" and it would be legal for him
>>use the same OEM license. When he phones in the activation he would only
>>need to explain what he upgraded and he should be activated without a
>>problem. But I'm not a EULA expert either...
>>
>>Tim
>>

>>"Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi Andrew,
>>>
>>> Start activation, choose the option to phone it in. If it doesn't do it
>>> through the automated system, get a representative on the line and
>>> explain
>>> what you did.
>>>
>>> By the by, if this copy of Vista was OEM (purchased as stand-alone OEM
>>> disk or came preinstalled on the system), then you cannot migrate it to
>>> new hardware and would need a new license for Vista. Only retail box
>>> versions of Vista can be moved to different hardware, OEM versions are
>>> locked to hardware they are first activated on.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

Tim

Re: Activating Windows Vista
Looks like you are correct. I found this well-written article on InfoWorld:
http://weblog.infoworld.com/gripelin...board_rep.html

Of particular interest is this paragraph:

"Fortunately, I was able to find a Microsoft official who was gracious
enough to look into the reader's questions for me. "The rule is in place to
protect the OEM, or in this specific case the System Builder, so that as
computers are upgraded, the System Builder is not obligated (per the EULA)
to support a version of Windows that may be on what is essentially a new
PC," wrote Tom Moran, director of customer and partner experience for
Microsoft Operations. "Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the
hardware components on your customer's computer and the end user may
maintain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system
software, with the exception of an upgrade or replacement of the
motherboard. Upgrading the motherboard essentially results in a new
computer, to which the original operating system software cannot be
transferred. This is not the case if the motherboard is replaced (same
make/model) due to a defect."

Personally, as someone who has been building PCs for many years, I wasn't
aware of this and I find this disturbing.

Shouldn't "not enough RAM capacity on the motherboard to run Vista" be
considered a "defect"? ;-)

Tim

"Michael A. Covington" <look@ai.uga.edu.for.address> wrote in message
>I think XP OEM licenses really are tied to a motherboard, not a "system."
>
> "f/fgeorge" <ffgeorge@yourplace.com> wrote in message
> news4kn431tkmg1t8t6pvvnetc6l96k29raoj@4ax.com...
>>I tried this with XP Pro and ran into problems. I have a Dell and
>> upgraded the mb, ram and cpu and the idiot in India, or wherever, gave
>> me nothing but grief. Said I should call Dell to get a new number!
>>
>> On Wed, 16 May 2007 15:13:34 -0600, "Tim" <timfeld_at_hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Hmmmm...I think that if all Andrew did was to upgrade those three
>>>components
>>>that would not equate to a different "box" and it would be legal for him
>>>use the same OEM license. When he phones in the activation he would only
>>>need to explain what he upgraded and he should be activated without a
>>>problem. But I'm not a EULA expert either...
>>>
>>>Tim

Andrew

Re: Activating Windows Vista
Yes it probably should, so do you think I should try using the automated
phone line to activate anyway and just explain to a technician what I have
done?