Action Pack Vista Business Upgrade dvd not recognized

Paul Rubiola

Action Pack Vista Business Upgrade dvd not recognized
I'm trying to test the Vista operating system and I'm using the Action Pack
upgrade dvd for the install. Upgrade advisior told me I needed a dvd drive
so I installed a new LiteOn dvd drive in my computer.

I verified the new dvd drive was working by making a data disk and copying
files to it. I also verified that it saw a dvd disk. After that I decided
to try the vista upgrade.

I put the Action Pack dvd in the drive and - nothing happened. No upgrade
screen, no files displayed in explorer - it just sat there. I thought that
there might be something wrong with the dvd so I put it in my laptop's dvd
drive and presto - the upgrade screen appeared. I didn't want to upgrade
my laptop yet so I tried the dvd back in my desktop computer. Same story.
I tried some other action pack dvd's. Some worked some didn't.

Is there something special about action pack dvds that prevents them from
running under certain conditions?

Tia

Paul Rubiola

Angry_American

Re: Action Pack Vista Business Upgrade dvd not recognized
I had the same problem with mine, so I used the laptop to make a "copy" and
installed from that disk, everything worked fine. I have Aopen and Plextor
drives in my systems, both would not recognize the DVD that came with the
Action Pack subscription. My guess is they used an off brand or cheapy brand
to make the DVD's.

Dan

"Paul Rubiola" <prubiola@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to test the Vista operating system and I'm using the Action
> Pack upgrade dvd for the install. Upgrade advisior told me I needed a dvd
> drive so I installed a new LiteOn dvd drive in my computer.
>
> I verified the new dvd drive was working by making a data disk and copying
> files to it. I also verified that it saw a dvd disk. After that I
> decided to try the vista upgrade.
>
> I put the Action Pack dvd in the drive and - nothing happened. No upgrade
> screen, no files displayed in explorer - it just sat there. I thought
> that there might be something wrong with the dvd so I put it in my
> laptop's dvd drive and presto - the upgrade screen appeared. I didn't
> want to upgrade my laptop yet so I tried the dvd back in my desktop
> computer. Same story. I tried some other action pack dvd's. Some worked
> some didn't.
>
> Is there something special about action pack dvds that prevents them from
> running under certain conditions?
>
> Tia
>

> Paul Rubiola

Paul Rubiola

Re: Action Pack Vista Business Upgrade dvd not recognized
Dan,

I was thinking of trying that if I couldn't find out what was causing the
problem. I would like to determine the root cause however since I am what
passes for an administrator for many of my clients.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Paul

"Angry_American" <Angry_American@nospam.net> wrote in message
>I had the same problem with mine, so I used the laptop to make a "copy" and
>installed from that disk, everything worked fine. I have Aopen and Plextor
>drives in my systems, both would not recognize the DVD that came with the
>Action Pack subscription. My guess is they used an off brand or cheapy
>brand to make the DVD's.
>
> Dan
>

> "Paul Rubiola" <prubiola@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I'm trying to test the Vista operating system and I'm using the Action
>> Pack upgrade dvd for the install. Upgrade advisior told me I needed a
>> dvd drive so I installed a new LiteOn dvd drive in my computer.
>>
>> I verified the new dvd drive was working by making a data disk and
>> copying files to it. I also verified that it saw a dvd disk. After that
>> I decided to try the vista upgrade.
>>
>> I put the Action Pack dvd in the drive and - nothing happened. No
>> upgrade screen, no files displayed in explorer - it just sat there. I
>> thought that there might be something wrong with the dvd so I put it in
>> my laptop's dvd drive and presto - the upgrade screen appeared. I
>> didn't want to upgrade my laptop yet so I tried the dvd back in my
>> desktop computer. Same story. I tried some other action pack dvd's.
>> Some worked some didn't.
>>
>> Is there something special about action pack dvds that prevents them from
>> running under certain conditions?
>>
>> Tia
>>

>> Paul Rubiola

Rick Rogers

Re: Action Pack Vista Business Upgrade dvd not recognized
Hi Paul,

There've been lots of recognition issues with Vista disks. I would try first
wiping down the disk itself and then running a lens cleaner disk in the DVD
drive (even new, these can have dust buildup). There's nothing special about
the Action Pack disks that would prevent them from being read under certain
conditions.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/