Upgrade has been disabled

Bryan Case

Upgrade has been disabled
I get the following message when tryhing to upgrade my Acer Aspire 5100
notebook computer from XP to VISTA. Upgrade has been disabled. The upgrade
compliance checks could not be performed. Your computer cannot be upgraded.

The upgrade advisor tells me everything is a go. I am starting the upgrade
from Windows not, booting from the CD. My file system has been changed to
NFTS. Can anyone tell me what is going on and how I can get the upgrade to
work? I don't want to do a clean install, as some preloaded programs will
not be available after a clean install, & I don't want to buy new versions of
programs that came peinstalled on the machine.
Rick Rogers

Re: Upgrade has been disabled
Hi Bryan,

What version of XP and what version of Vista are involved? Some upgrade
paths are not supported, and with those you must use the custom install to
create a fresh installation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Bryan Case" <BryanCase@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I get the following message when tryhing to upgrade my Acer Aspire 5100
> notebook computer from XP to VISTA. Upgrade has been disabled. The
> upgrade
> compliance checks could not be performed. Your computer cannot be
> upgraded.
>
> The upgrade advisor tells me everything is a go. I am starting the
> upgrade
> from Windows not, booting from the CD. My file system has been changed to
> NFTS. Can anyone tell me what is going on and how I can get the upgrade
> work? I don't want to do a clean install, as some preloaded programs will
> not be available after a clean install, & I don't want to buy new versions
> of
> programs that came peinstalled on the machine.

Mr. Arnold

Re: Upgrade has been disabled

"Bryan Case" <BryanCase@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I get the following message when tryhing to upgrade my Acer Aspire 5100
> notebook computer from XP to VISTA. Upgrade has been disabled. The
> upgrade
> compliance checks could not be performed. Your computer cannot be
> upgraded.
>
> The upgrade advisor tells me everything is a go. I am starting the
> upgrade
> from Windows not, booting from the CD. My file system has been changed to
> NFTS. Can anyone tell me what is going on and how I can get the upgrade
> work? I don't want to do a clean install, as some preloaded programs will
> not be available after a clean install, & I don't want to buy new versions
> of
> programs that came peinstalled on the machine.

You have 180 days of free support for your Vista product. You might want to
call MS.