TIP: Bypass ripping on dual boot and *instantly* put tunes from XP WMP into Vista WMP

Chad Harris

TIP: Bypass ripping on dual boot and *instantly* put tunes from XP WMP into Vista WMP
Ripping music takes time, and this is the way you can put any or all of your
XP WMP tunes into Vista's WMP 11 *instantly.*

1) Pull up the XP "My Music" folder by typing in run box or Explorer Folder
address bar:

XP Drive\Documents and Settings\XP Profile\My Documents\My Music

2) Pull up the Vista folder by typing in run box or Explorer Folder address
bar:

Vista Drive\Users\Vista Profile\Music

3) Copy from XP folder either the folder that represents a CD or individual
tune to Vista by holding down right mouse and dragging to Vista
folder>select copy.

4) WMP can transfer to Ipod folder and vice versa. You may have to change
the file storage format for compatibility.

On Vista the Itunes Music folder is located at:

Vista Drive\Users\Vista Profile\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music.

You can bring the "pictures folder" or any "music folders" up instantly on
Vista by typing the word pictures or music into the Search box above the
Start button.

CH

KDE

Re: Bypass ripping on dual boot and *instantly* put tunes from XP WMP into Vista WMP
wow ! I wasn't aware you could actually copy music and files from one folder
to another ! (dripping sarcasm)

"Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote in message
> Ripping music takes time, and this is the way you can put any or all of
> your XP WMP tunes into Vista's WMP 11 *instantly.*
>
> 1) Pull up the XP "My Music" folder by typing in run box or Explorer
> Folder address bar:
>
> XP Drive\Documents and Settings\XP Profile\My Documents\My Music
>
> 2) Pull up the Vista folder by typing in run box or Explorer Folder
> address bar:
>
> Vista Drive\Users\Vista Profile\Music
>
> 3) Copy from XP folder either the folder that represents a CD or
> individual tune to Vista by holding down right mouse and dragging to Vista
> folder>select copy.
>
> 4) WMP can transfer to Ipod folder and vice versa. You may have to change
> the file storage format for compatibility.
>
> On Vista the Itunes Music folder is located at:
>
> Vista Drive\Users\Vista Profile\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music.
>
> You can bring the "pictures folder" or any "music folders" up instantly on
> Vista by typing the word pictures or music into the Search box above the
> Start button.
>

> CH

Chad Harris

KDE you da woman!
You da woman KDE. A lot of people I know who dual boot don't copy music
files and folders. I haven't seen anyone try to copy music from one folder
from another on a dual boot. I must be leading a sheltered existance rather
than travelling in the fast sophisticated lane where your butt sits. The
folders would represent CDs in this case. They spend a lot of time
re-ripping them on their Vista boots. This would apply in any context as
well that you communicated one pc to another.

I look forward to your prolific and profound awesome help if it ever comes
anywhere on these groups. Knock yourself out. LOL

I think if you get your anatomy examined thoroughly, you'll find that
sarcasm isn't the only thing dripping from one of your orifices. You may
need to load up on some antibiotics for resistant problems.

CH

Paul McNulty--don't let the door hit your ass on the way out of Main
Justice! It's always been the case that tough prosecutors run like mega
chickens when their butts are in a sling and that's what you did.

Dead in the Water and Proud to Be Swimmin' Wit Da Fishes and Christopha and
soon Sylvio Dante and Bobby:

FRANK RICH: Earth to G.O.P: The Gipper Is Dead
OF course you didn’t watch the first Republican presidential debate on
MSNBC. Even the party’s most loyal base didn’t abandon Fox News, where Bill
O’Reilly, interviewing the already overexposed George Tenet, drew far more
viewers. Yet the few telling video scraps that entered the 24/7 mediasphere
did turn the event into an instant “Saturday Night Live” parody without
“SNL” having to lift a finger. The row of 10 middle-aged white candidates,
David Letterman said, looked like “guys waiting to tee off at a restricted
country club.”

Since then, panicked Republicans have been either blaming the “Let’s Make a
Deal” debate format or praying for salvation-by-celebrity in the form of
another middle-aged white guy who might enter the race, Fred Thompson. They
don’t seem to get that there is not another major brand in the country — not
Wal-Mart, not G.E., not even Denny’s nowadays — that would try to sell a
mass product with such a demographically homogeneous sales force. And that’s
only half the problem. The other half is that the Republicans don’t have a
product to sell. Aside from tax cuts and a wall on the Mexican border, the
only issue that energized the presidential contenders was Ronald Reagan. The
debate’s most animated moments by far came as they clamored to lip-sync his
“optimism,” his “morning in America,” his “shining city on the hill” and
even, in a bizarre John McCain moment out of a Chucky movie, his grin.

The candidates mentioned Reagan’s name 19 times, the current White House
occupant’s once. Much as the Republicans hope that the Gipper can still be a
panacea for all their political ills, so they want to believe that if only
President Bush would just go away and take his rock-bottom approval rating
and equally unpopular war with him, all of their problems would be solved.
But it could be argued that the Iraq fiasco, disastrous to American
interests as it is, actually masks the magnitude of the destruction this
presidency has visited both on the country in general and the G.O.P. in
particular.

By my rough, conservative calculation — feel free to add — there have been
corruption, incompetence, and contracting or cronyism scandals in these
cabinet departments: Defense, Education, Justice, Interior, Homeland
Security, Veterans Affairs, Health and Human Services, and Housing and Urban
Development. I am not counting State, whose deputy secretary, a champion of
abstinence-based international AIDS funding, resigned last month in a
prostitution scandal, or the General Services Administration, now being
investigated for possibly steering federal favors to Republican
Congressional candidates in 2006. Or the Office of Management and Budget,
whose chief procurement officer was sentenced to prison in the Abramoff
fallout. I will, however, toss in a figure that reveals the sheer depth of
the overall malfeasance: no fewer than four inspectors general, the official
watchdogs charged with investigating improprieties in each department, are
themselves under investigation simultaneously — an all-time record.

Wrongdoing of this magnitude does not happen by accident, but it is not
necessarily instigated by a Watergate-style criminal conspiracy. When
corruption is this pervasive, it can also be a byproduct of a governing
philosophy. That’s the case here. That Bush-Rove style of governance, the
common denominator of all the administration scandals, is the Frankenstein
creature that stalks the G.O.P. as it faces 2008. It has become the
Republican brand and will remain so, even after this president goes, until
courageous Republicans disown it and eradicate it.

It’s not the philosophy Mr. Bush campaigned on. Remember the candidate who
billed himself as a “different kind of Republican” and a “compassionate
conservative”? Karl Rove wanted to build a lasting Republican majority by
emulating the tactics of the 1896 candidate, William McKinley, whose victory
ushered in G.O.P. dominance that would last until the New Deal some 35 years
later. The Rove plan was to add to the party’s base, much as McKinley had at
the dawn of the industrial era, by attracting new un-Republican-like
demographic groups, including Hispanics and African-Americans. Hence, No
Child Left Behind, an education program pitched particularly to urban
Americans, and a 2000 nominating convention that starred break dancers,
gospel singers, Colin Powell and, as an M.C., the only black Republican
member of Congress, J. C. Watts.

As always, the salesmanship was brilliant. One smitten liberal columnist
imagined in 1999 that Mr. Bush could redefine his party: “If compassion and
inclusion are his talismans, education his centerpiece and national unity
his promise, we may say a final, welcome goodbye to the wedge issues that
have divided Americans by race, ethnicity and religious conviction.” Or not.
As Matthew Dowd, the disaffected Bush pollster, concluded this spring, the
uniter he had so eagerly helped elect turned out to be “not the person” he
thought, but instead a divider who wanted to appeal to the “51 percent of
the people” who would ensure his hold on power.

But it isn’t just the divisive Bush-Rove partisanship that led to scandal.
The corruption grew out of the White House’s insistence that partisanship —
the maintenance of that 51 percent — dictate every governmental action no
matter what the effect on the common good. And so the first M.B.A. president
ignored every rule of sound management. Loyal ideologues or flunkies were
put in crucial positions regardless of their ethics or competence.
Government business was outsourced to campaign contributors regardless of
their ethics or competence. Even orthodox Republican fiscal prudence was
tossed aside so Congressional allies could be bought off with bridges to
nowhere.

This was true way before many, let alone Matthew Dowd, were willing to see
it. It was true before the Iraq war. In retrospect, the first unimpeachable
evidence of the White House’s modus operandi was reported by the journalist
Ron Suskind, for Esquire, at the end of 2002. Mr. Suskind interviewed an
illustrious Bush appointee, the University of Pennsylvania political
scientist John DiIulio, who had run the administration’s
compassionate-conservative flagship, the Office of Faith-Based and Community
Initiatives. Bemoaning an unprecedented “lack of a policy apparatus” in the
White House, Mr. DiIulio said: “What you’ve got is everything — and I mean
everything — being run by the political arm. It’s the reign of the Mayberry
Machiavellis.”

His words have been borne out repeatedly: by the unqualified political hacks
and well-connected no-bid contractors who sabotaged the occupation and
reconstruction of Iraq; the politicization of science at the Food and Drug
Administration and the Environmental Protection Agency; the outsourcing of
veterans’ care to a crony company at Walter Reed; and the purge of
independent United States attorneys at Alberto Gonzales’s Justice
Department. But even more pertinent, perhaps, to the Republican future is
how the Mayberry Machiavellis alienated the precise groups that Mr. Bush had
promised to add to his party’s base.

By installing a political hack, his 2000 campaign manager, Joe Allbaugh, at
the top of FEMA, the president foreordained the hiring of Brownie and the
disastrous response to Katrina. At the Education Department, the signature
No Child Left Behind program, Reading First, is turning out to be a cesspool
of contracting conflicts of interest. It’s also at that department that Bush
loyalists stood passively by while the student-loan industry scandal
exploded; at its center is Nelnet, the single largest corporate campaign
contributor to the 2006 G.O.P. Congressional campaign committee. Back at Mr.
Gonzales’s operation, where revelations of politicization and cover-ups
mount daily, it turns out that no black lawyers have been hired in the
nearly all-white criminal section of the civil rights division since 2003.

The sole piece of compassionate conservatism that Mr. Bush has tried not to
sacrifice to political expedience — nondraconian immigration reform — is
also on the ropes, done in by a wave of xenophobia that he has failed to
combat. Just how knee-jerk this strain has become could be seen in the MSNBC
debate when Chris Matthews asked the candidates if they would consider a
constitutional amendment to allow presidential runs by naturalized citizens
like their party’s star governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger (an American since
1983), and its national chairman, Senator Mel Martinez of Florida. Seven out
of 10 said no.

We’ve certainly come a long way from that 2000 Philadelphia convention, with
its dream of forging an inclusive, long-lasting G.O.P. majority. Instead of
break dancers and a black Republican congressman (there are none now), we’ve
had YouTube classics like Mr. Rove’s impersonation of a rapper at a
Washington journalists’ banquet and George Allen’s “macaca” meltdown.
Simultaneously, the once-reliable evangelical base is starting to drift as
some of its leaders join the battle against global warming and others
recognize that they’ve been played for fools on “family values” by the
G.O.P. establishment that covered up for Mark Foley.

Meanwhile, most of the pressing matters that the public cares passionately
about — Iraq, health care, the environment and energy independence — belong
for now to the Democrats. Though that party’s first debate wasn’t exactly an
intellectual feast either, actual issues were engaged by presidential
hopefuls representing a cross section of American demographics. You don’t
see Democratic candidates changing the subject to J.F.K. and F.D.R. They are
free to start wrestling with the future while the men inheriting the
Bush-Rove brand of Republicanism are reduced to harking back to a morning in
America on which the sun set in 1989.

"KDE" <knott_me@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> wow ! I wasn't aware you could actually copy music and files from one
> folder to another ! (dripping sarcasm)
>
> "Chad Harris" <vistaneedsmuchowork.net> wrote in message
>> Ripping music takes time, and this is the way you can put any or all of
>> your XP WMP tunes into Vista's WMP 11 *instantly.*
>>
>> 1) Pull up the XP "My Music" folder by typing in run box or Explorer
>> Folder address bar:
>>
>> XP Drive\Documents and Settings\XP Profile\My Documents\My Music
>>
>> 2) Pull up the Vista folder by typing in run box or Explorer Folder
>> address bar:
>>
>> Vista Drive\Users\Vista Profile\Music
>>
>> 3) Copy from XP folder either the folder that represents a CD or
>> individual tune to Vista by holding down right mouse and dragging to
>> Vista folder>select copy.
>>
>> 4) WMP can transfer to Ipod folder and vice versa. You may have to
>> change the file storage format for compatibility.
>>
>> On Vista the Itunes Music folder is located at:
>>
>> Vista Drive\Users\Vista Profile\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music.
>>
>> You can bring the "pictures folder" or any "music folders" up instantly
>> on Vista by typing the word pictures or music into the Search box above
>> the Start button.
>>

>> CH

KDE

Re: KDE you da woman!
"I haven't seen anyone try to copy music from one folder
> from another on a dual boot. I must be leading a sheltered existence"

ARE YOU SERIOUS ???

you run a dual boot and DON'T routinely share files and folders ? I can see
why you were so excited to figure out you can. why in the hell would anyone
double load their music or picture collection in 2 separate places on a PC,
using up twice the storage space? and rather than your convoluted,
confusing workaround here's another tip for you genius... make a folder on
your PC called D:\Music, when running XP, right click on your My Music
folder and select "move". now point it to D:\Music. now boot Vista. right
click on Music folder and select "move"... you see where we're going :-)

> [...]
>>>
>>> 1) Pull up the XP "My Music" folder by typing in run box or Explorer
>>> Folder address bar:
>>>
>>> XP Drive\Documents and Settings\XP Profile\My Documents\My Music
>>>
>>> 2) Pull up the Vista folder by typing in run box or Explorer Folder
>>> address bar:
>>>
>>> Vista Drive\Users\Vista Profile\Music
>>>
>>> 3) Copy from XP folder either the folder that represents a CD or
>>> individual tune to Vista by holding down right mouse and dragging to
>>> Vista folder>select copy.
>>>
>>> 4) WMP can transfer to Ipod folder and vice versa. You may have to
>>> change the file storage format for compatibility.
>>>
>>> On Vista the Itunes Music folder is located at:
>>>
>>> Vista Drive\Users\Vista Profile\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music.
>>>
>>> You can bring the "pictures folder" or any "music folders" up instantly
>>> on Vista by typing the word pictures or music into the Search box above

Chad Harris

Re: KDE is you serious? Why aren't you helping people instead of dripping?
KDE--

Are YOU serious? Why aren't you off your butt and helping people here LOL?
I don't see any KDE launched help on any topic on these groups!!! LOL

Have you had a level of consciousness on planet earth with a Glascow Coma
scale compatible with life?

You've been around on these groups. I've helped prolifically and reading any
3 of my posts indicates I have enough familiarity with Windows to share
files and folders. I must have several hundred posts on the XP groups in the
past three years helping people share files and folders and linking them to
the KBs to do that and to take permissions, etc., helping with networking,
etc.

My "tip" though was particularly with music based on helping a number of
people get their boxes in shape and noticing that they simply ripped the
music on the Vista boot instead of copying the music, and also there has
been confusion about not onlly using an Ipod successfully on Vista which
could be done from the start even before MSFT started issuing KBs to help it
(2 years after they were needed by some people lol) and many people do not
understand how to share from Ipod Imusic folders to WMP and vice versa and
from Ipod Imusic folders on one boot to Ipod Imuisc folders on the next.

Why don't you plow your energy and your self annointed "dripping with
sarcasm" among other things you drip with and dig in and help some people
since you obviously think you can? A search for KDE doesn't show squat that
you've helped with. Bring on da help KDE let's see some posts putting out
some fires for people instead of innane worrying ridiculously if I
understand file sharing.

LOL

Since you have such superior sophisticated Vista insight, why aren't you
answering people's questions on how to fix or get Vista up and running like
the rest of us?

Are you too busy "dripping" with sarcasm or whatever bacteria have infested
you?

CH

> [...]

>> Meanwhile, most of the pressing matters that the public cares
>> passionately about — Iraq, health care, the environment and energy
>> independence — belong for now to the Democrats. Though that party’s first
>> debate wasn’t exactly an intellectual feast either, actual issues were
>> engaged by presidential hopefuls representing a cross section of American
>> demographics. You don’t see Democratic candidates changing the subject to
>> J.F.K. and F.D.R. They are free to start wrestling with the future while
>> the men inheriting the Bush-Rove brand of Republicanism are reduced to
>> harking back to a morning in America on which the sun set in 1989.
>>

>> "KDE" <knott_me@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> wow ! I wasn't aware you could actually copy music and files from one
>>> folder to another ! (dripping sarcasm)

KDE

Re: KDE is you serious? Why aren't you helping people instead of dripping?
sorry, didn't realize there was a quota on posts before pointing out how
absurd it was that someone was so excited about being able to copy and paste
files, or use the same folders in their dual boot setup.

I bow to your greatness.