How to reinstall Vista from Recovery Drive

Geminineil

How to reinstall Vista from Recovery Drive
Hi, I have the problem with Vista where Updates are downloaded but then will
not install etc. I do NOT have a Vista CD as Vista was preinstalled on a Dell
540 Desktop. I do have the OEM number as shown in system files. I want to be
able to reinstall Vista and hope that will fix the problem - but I don't want
to have to reinstall any programs or lose any files already on the computer.
Can anyone advise how to re-install Vista from the Recovery Drive or
elesehwre on my computer?
Thanks. Neil
PvdG42

Re: How to reinstall Vista from Recovery Drive

"Geminineil" <Geminineil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have the problem with Vista where Updates are downloaded but then
> will
> not install etc. I do NOT have a Vista CD as Vista was preinstalled on a
> Dell
> 540 Desktop. I do have the OEM number as shown in system files. I want to
> be
> able to reinstall Vista and hope that will fix the problem - but I don't
> want
> to have to reinstall any programs or lose any files already on the
> computer.
> Can anyone advise how to re-install Vista from the Recovery Drive or
> elesehwre on my computer?
> Thanks. Neil

Have you tried contacting Dell tech support? If you've lost your
instructions for restoring from your recovery drive, they should be able to
help you.

Antrikshy

Re: How to reinstall Vista from Recovery Drive

Well, the best shot would be looking for Dell documentation on the web.
Look at any preinstalled "Recovery" or similar programs in the Start
Menu. Look for a folder like "Dell" or something. There could be help
files with it too.

I am completely sure that the program will delete out all your data, and
reinstall Windows. You need to back up all your important data and then
put it in back again after reinstalling.

--
Antrikshy
Geminineil

Re: How to reinstall Vista from Recovery Drive
Hi, I have tried contacting DELL Support and to date they have been next to
useless. Speaking to someone in some far off country who can barely speak
English.. to be told on three seperate days... we have technical problems and
cannot help - phone back... they also offer website technical help "but not
available in your area" ... like the UK is some outlandish place...

very frustrated...

"PvdG42" wrote:

> "Geminineil" <Geminineil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I have the problem with Vista where Updates are downloaded but then
> > will
> > not install etc. I do NOT have a Vista CD as Vista was preinstalled on a
> > Dell
> > 540 Desktop. I do have the OEM number as shown in system files. I want to
> > be
> > able to reinstall Vista and hope that will fix the problem - but I don't
> > want
> > to have to reinstall any programs or lose any files already on the
> > computer.
> > Can anyone advise how to re-install Vista from the Recovery Drive or
> > elesehwre on my computer?
> > Thanks. Neil

> Have you tried contacting Dell tech support? If you've lost your
> instructions for restoring from your recovery drive, they should be able to
> help you.
>
> .

TheDuck

Re: How to reinstall Vista from Recovery Drive
The restore partition will restore the computer to the way it came from the
factory. You will lose all programs you installed, all data, and all
updates. In other words it formats the hard drive and installs the preload.

"Antrikshy" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Well, the best shot would be looking for Dell documentation on the web.
> Look at any preinstalled "Recovery" or similar programs in the Start
> Menu. Look for a folder like "Dell" or something. There could be help
> files with it too.
>
> I am completely sure that the program will delete out all your data, and
> reinstall Windows. You need to back up all your important data and then
> put it in back again after reinstalling.
>

> --
> Antrikshy

Antrikshy

Re: How to reinstall Vista from Recovery Drive

Do you have a recovery program that came with your computer? See the
Start Menu for some folder like "Dell".

My HP laptops come with a recovery software that can refurbish your PC
from the recovery drive.

--
Antrikshy
Mark Allread

Geminineil wrote:
> Hi, I have the problem with Vista where Updates are downloaded but then will
> not install etc. I do NOT have a Vista CD as Vista was preinstalled on a Dell
> 540 Desktop. I do have the OEM number as shown in system files. I want to be
> able to reinstall Vista and hope that will fix the problem - but I don't want
> to have to reinstall any programs or lose any files already on the computer.
> Can anyone advise how to re-install Vista from the Recovery Drive or
> elesehwre on my computer?
> Thanks. Neil

I don't know about your particular case, but some computers with
"Recovery Partitions" on the hard drive provide a means to create
bootable recovery CDs from that partition.

That might give you a little bit more freedom to work on your computer.

In any case, all methods I know of reinstalling an OS include erasing
all personal files and returning the computer to its "Out-of-Box" state.