NTLDR missing on Vista - and yes - i've looked at other threads already :)

abercrombie1000

NTLDR missing on Vista - and yes - i've looked at other threads already :)

So here's the issue. I recently installed a new hard drive with a clean
copy of Vista (32-bit). I only have one partition. It's been fine for
at least a month until this morning when I got the message that NTLDR is
missing and to hit a key to restart.

I never made a backup given that it's a new hard drive, so would really
like to not have to reformat the drive again as I have lots of new
files.

What I've tried:
1. I booted up from the installation disk - went to repair, and
a)repair startup problems (it found a problem and supposedly fixed it -
but still the same error msg and it no longer detects a problem); b)
tried to restore to an earlier system point. didn't work

2. 'Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart
Technologies Wiki'
(http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...r+from+the+DVD)

tried this, but got stuck at step 3 as i evidently don't have
bootsect.exe (tried the path given as well as looking in windows and
source directories)

--
abercrombie1000
iseeuu

Re: NTLDR missing on Vista - and yes - i've looked at other threads already :)

abercrombie1000;1245059 Wrote:
> So here's the issue. I recently installed a new hard drive with a clean
> copy of Vista (32-bit). I only have one partition. It's been fine for
> at least a month until this morning when I got the message that NTLDR is
> missing and to hit a key to restart.
>
> I never made a backup given that it's a new hard drive, so would really
> like to not have to reformat the drive again as I have lots of new
> files.
>

> What I've tried:
> 1. I booted up from the installation disk - went to repair, and
> a)repair startup problems (it found a problem and supposedly fixed it -
> but still the same error msg and it no longer detects a problem); b)
> tried to restore to an earlier system point. didn't work
>
> 2. 'Recovering the Vista Bootloader from the DVD - NeoSmart
> Technologies Wiki'
> (http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBC...r+from+the+DVD)
>
> tried this, but got stuck at step 3 as i evidently don't have
> bootsect.exe (tried the path given as well as looking in windows and
> source directories) Please have a look at this link: 'MBR - Restore Windows 7 Master Boot

Record - Windows 7 Forums'
(http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ot-record.html)

NTLDR was used with Windows 2000 and XP, whereas Vista uses "bootmgr".
How or why you have NTLDR present is unknown, but restoring the Vista
boot code should correct your issue.

--
iseeuu
abercrombie1000

Re: NTLDR missing on Vista - and yes - i've looked at other threads already :)

that worked perfectly. thank you very much!

abercrombie1000;1245160 Wrote:
> that worked perfectly. thank you very much!

You are most welcome! Thanks for letting us know. We, 'Vista Forums'
(http://www.vistax64.com/) / 'Seven Forums'
(http://www.sevenforums.com/), are here to help if we can, come back
anytime.

Cheers!