Installing second copy of Vista hangs

eldiener

Installing second copy of Vista hangs

I have a multi-boot computer with Vista Ultimate x64 installed. I have
an upgrade for Windows 7 Ultimate but I want to keep my Vista Ultimate
x64 bootup. So I try to install a second copy of Windows Ultimate x64 so
I can use that to install the Windows 7 upgrade. When I attempt to
install the second copy of Vista Ultimate x64, by booting from the Vista
x64 boot CD and directing it to install itself in a separate area on my
first hard drive, it starts up, says it is loading the drivers, goes to
100% on the progress bar, and just hangs there without going on.

Is there any solution so that I can keep my Windows Vista x64 and still
install the Windows 7 upgrade in another partition ?

--
eldiener
eldiener

Re: Installing second copy of Vista hangs

I have already been told that I can install my Windows 7 upgrade into a
separate partition rather than in the partition where I have Windows
Vista, so this post can be ignored.

--
eldiener
Curious

"eldiener" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have already been told that I can install my Windows 7 upgrade into a
> separate partition rather than in the partition where I have Windows
> Vista, so this post can be ignored.
>

> --
> eldiener

Curious

Re: Installing second copy of Vista hangs
You should be aware that the Win7 upgrade license allows you to
upgrade(replace) one previous Vista or XP installation and therefore it is
not legal to dual boot it with a version you are upgrading from. This is
with the win7 upgrade you are normally allowed only to install it in the
partition you that contains the release you are upgrading from. It it is
also true that your Vista license is only for one installation of Vista
and does legally support two copies of it to be installed on the same disk
in different partitions,

"eldiener" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I have already been told that I can install my Windows 7 upgrade into a
> separate partition rather than in the partition where I have Windows
> Vista, so this post can be ignored.
>

> --
> eldiener

Andy

Re: Installing second copy of Vista hangs
Not true you can install it on any drive on the same computer as the windows
vista resides on.
and dual boot it each os has its own COA and can be used as a dual boot
machine.

--
AL'S COMPUTERS
"Curious" <nobody@nspam.com> wrote in message
> You should be aware that the Win7 upgrade license allows you to
> upgrade(replace) one previous Vista or XP installation and therefore it
> is not legal to dual boot it with a version you are upgrading from. This
> is with the win7 upgrade you are normally allowed only to install it in
> the partition you that contains the release you are upgrading from. It it
> is also true that your Vista license is only for one installation of
> Vista and does legally support two copies of it to be installed on the
> same disk in different partitions,
>
> "eldiener" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I have already been told that I can install my Windows 7 upgrade into a
>> separate partition rather than in the partition where I have Windows
>> Vista, so this post can be ignored.
>>

>> --
>> eldiener

Andrew Murray

Re: Installing second copy of Vista hangs
I beg to differ on this issue, and "Curious" is right; you can't continue
using the O/S you're upgrading from, whether as a dual boot and certainly
not on a different PC. You would need to use the "full" edition licence
rather than upgrade to do the dual boot setup as described.

As far as I'm aware, that's always been the case for any 'upgrade' edition
of software where you're upgrading to a newer version of a product . In
most cases you wouldn't go on using the earlier version of say MS Office or
Adobe Photoshop etc, you'd probably install over the top of the existing
installation, or uninstall the old version, install the new and place the CD
in the drive when it asks for it (and this check is usually done); it
shouldn't be any different for operating system upgrades.

"Andy" <N@n.com> wrote in message
> Not true you can install it on any drive on the same computer as the
> windows vista resides on.
> and dual boot it each os has its own COA and can be used as a dual boot
> machine.
>

> --
> AL'S COMPUTERS
> "Curious" <nobody@nspam.com> wrote in message
>> You should be aware that the Win7 upgrade license allows you to
>> upgrade(replace) one previous Vista or XP installation and therefore it
>> is not legal to dual boot it with a version you are upgrading from. This
>> is with the win7 upgrade you are normally allowed only to install it in
>> the partition you that contains the release you are upgrading from. It
>> it is also true that your Vista license is only for one installation of
>> Vista and does legally support two copies of it to be installed on the
>> same disk in different partitions,
>>
>> "eldiener" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I have already been told that I can install my Windows 7 upgrade into a
>>> separate partition rather than in the partition where I have Windows
>>> Vista, so this post can be ignored.
>>>

>>> --
>>> eldiener

Curious

Re: Installing second copy of Vista hangs
There is also a typo in the last sentence of my post.
I meant to say that the Vista License does NOT support two installations in
different partitions on the same drive.
Win7 is more stringent on making sure that you are in fact upgrading or
replacing an existing installation.

"Andrew Murray" <admurray.antispam@nospam.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> I beg to differ on this issue, and "Curious" is right; you can't continue
> using the O/S you're upgrading from, whether as a dual boot and certainly
> not on a different PC. You would need to use the "full" edition licence
> rather than upgrade to do the dual boot setup as described.
>
> As far as I'm aware, that's always been the case for any 'upgrade' edition
> of software where you're upgrading to a newer version of a product . In
> most cases you wouldn't go on using the earlier version of say MS Office
> or Adobe Photoshop etc, you'd probably install over the top of the
> existing installation, or uninstall the old version, install the new and
> place the CD in the drive when it asks for it (and this check is usually
> done); it shouldn't be any different for operating system upgrades.
>

> "Andy" <N@n.com> wrote in message
>> Not true you can install it on any drive on the same computer as the
>> windows vista resides on.
>> and dual boot it each os has its own COA and can be used as a dual boot
>> machine.
>>

>> --
>> AL'S COMPUTERS
>> "Curious" <nobody@nspam.com> wrote in message
>>> You should be aware that the Win7 upgrade license allows you to
>>> upgrade(replace) one previous Vista or XP installation and therefore it
>>> is not legal to dual boot it with a version you are upgrading from.
>>> This is with the win7 upgrade you are normally allowed only to install
>>> it in the partition you that contains the release you are upgrading
>>> from. It it is also true that your Vista license is only for one
>>> installation of Vista and does legally support two copies of it to be
>>> installed on the same disk in different partitions,

PvdG42

Re: Installing second copy of Vista hangs

"Andrew Murray" <admurray.antispam@nospam.iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> I beg to differ on this issue, and "Curious" is right; you can't continue
> using the O/S you're upgrading from, whether as a dual boot and certainly
> not on a different PC. You would need to use the "full" edition licence
> rather than upgrade to do the dual boot setup as described.
>
> As far as I'm aware, that's always been the case for any 'upgrade' edition
> of software where you're upgrading to a newer version of a product . In
> most cases you wouldn't go on using the earlier version of say MS Office
> or Adobe Photoshop etc, you'd probably install over the top of the
> existing installation, or uninstall the old version, install the new and
> place the CD in the drive when it asks for it (and this check is usually
> done); it shouldn't be any different for operating system upgrades.

I agree that Curious is correct. An upgrade edition costs less because you
are trading in your old OS. Thus the automobile trade-in analogy applies.
You trade in your 2007 Corvette on a new 2010 model, reducing your cash
outlay for the new 'vette from $56K to, say, $28K. You don't expect the
dealer to allow you to continue to use the 2007, do you?