Boot manager problem. Very annoying.

Alan LeHun

Boot manager problem. Very annoying.
Every time I boot my machine (dual boot - 2 x vista 32 home
Premium), the boot manager tries to take me into an incomplete,
and unwanted, vista setup option which then hangs the machine.

I want to delete that option from the boot manager but it
doesn't appear in bcdedit, and that is about as far as my
technical knowledge goes.

Anyone know how to get rid of an unwanted vista setup option
from the bm?

--
Alan LeHun
Rick Rogers

Re: Boot manager problem. Very annoying.
Hi,

Click start, type msconfig and hit the <enter> key. Click continue at the
UAC prompt. Go to the boot tab, select the correct boot line and then 'set
as default'. Click on the unwanted one and delete it. Click apply/ok and
reboot.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Alan LeHun" <try@reply.to> wrote in message
> Every time I boot my machine (dual boot - 2 x vista 32 home
> Premium), the boot manager tries to take me into an incomplete,
> and unwanted, vista setup option which then hangs the machine.
>
> I want to delete that option from the boot manager but it
> doesn't appear in bcdedit, and that is about as far as my
> technical knowledge goes.
>
> Anyone know how to get rid of an unwanted vista setup option
> from the bm?
>

> --
> Alan LeHun

Alan LeHun

Re: Boot manager problem. Very annoying.
In article <eiC9B7gyKHA.3264@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>,
rick@mvps.org says...
> Click start, type msconfig and hit the <enter> key. Click continue at the
> UAC prompt. Go to the boot tab, select the correct boot line and then 'set
> as default'. Click on the unwanted one and delete it. Click apply/ok and
> reboot.

Thanks Rick.

I misreported the original problem however, in that the
offending setup entry was actually for XP which I no longer
use. I think the problem lies with the boot.ini file on my root
drive which I 'believe' I can just delete and be done with.
(I'm using only vista atm)

--
Alan LeHun
R. C. White

Re: Boot manager problem. Very annoying.
Hi, Alan.

Vista does not use Boot.ini at all - except when "previous version of
Windows" is chosen from the OS menu. It also does not use NTLDR or
NTDETECT.COM. All 3 of these files can be deleted from your System
Partition (typically Drive C:, but not always). I assume that you also have
already deleted WinXP's entire \Windows folder tree, since that also is now
ignored.

Since you are familiar with bcdedit.exe, you can use it to remove the entire
entry for "Windows Legacy OS Loader" from the BCD.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> In article <eiC9B7gyKHA.3264@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>,
> rick@mvps.org says...
>> Click start, type msconfig and hit the <enter> key. Click continue at the
>> UAC prompt. Go to the boot tab, select the correct boot line and then
>> 'set
>> as default'. Click on the unwanted one and delete it. Click apply/ok and
>> reboot.
>>

> Thanks Rick.
>
> I misreported the original problem however, in that the
> offending setup entry was actually for XP which I no longer
> use. I think the problem lies with the boot.ini file on my root
> drive which I 'believe' I can just delete and be done with.
> (I'm using only vista atm)
>
> --
> Alan LeHun

Alan LeHun

Re: Boot manager problem. Very annoying.
In article <Omu6oXjyKHA.5040@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
rc@grandecom.net says...

> Vista does not use Boot.ini at all - except when "previous version of
> Windows" is chosen from the OS menu. It also does not use NTLDR or
> NTDETECT.COM. All 3 of these files can be deleted from your System
> Partition (typically Drive C:, but not always).

G in my case. Deleting boot.ini solved the issue. I have now
searched for NTLDR and NTDETECT but they are not present on
this mc.

> I assume that you also have
> already deleted WinXP's entire \Windows folder tree, since that also is now
> ignored.

Many moons ago, but this installation setup option never
appeared until recently.

> Since you are familiar with bcdedit.exe, you can use it to remove the entire
> entry for "Windows Legacy OS Loader" from the BCD.

I'm a lot more familiar now. I didn't know anything about it
yesterday morning.

Thank you, and Rick, for the help.

--
Alan LeHun
R. C. White

Re: Boot manager problem. Very annoying.
Hi, Alan.

You're welcome, of course. Glad you got it solved - and thanks for the
feedback. ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA