Activation

Mark A. Sam

Activation
Hello,

I couldn't find a Windows 7 group, so I thought it appropriate to post my
question here.

I installed Windows 7 on an iMac in a Virtual Engine using Paralles Desktop
5. I decided to install it using a Disk Partition instead, so I sent
Windows to the trashcan ( I couldn't find a method to uninstall it) and
unistalled Paralles. Using a program on the Mac called Bootcamp, I set up
the particion and reinstalled Windows 7. Now I am getting a message that
the Product Key I entered can't be used on that machine. I understand why,
I think, because the hard drive name changed. Should I have deactivated
Windows before reinstalling, and can I still do it? The Help shows that it
can after installing a new hard drive or memory, but the system doesn't let
me.

Thanks for any help and God Bless,

Mark A. Sam

Dominic Payer

Re: Activation
No version of Windows can be formally deactivated.

You need to use telephone activation. Type "slui 4", without the quotes,
in the Start box and follow the instructions.

On 22/03/2010 15:28, Mark A. Sam wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I couldn't find a Windows 7 group, so I thought it appropriate to post my
> question here.
>
> I installed Windows 7 on an iMac in a Virtual Engine using Paralles Desktop
> 5. I decided to install it using a Disk Partition instead, so I sent
> Windows to the trashcan ( I couldn't find a method to uninstall it) and
> unistalled Paralles. Using a program on the Mac called Bootcamp, I set up
> the particion and reinstalled Windows 7. Now I am getting a message that
> the Product Key I entered can't be used on that machine. I understand why,
> I think, because the hard drive name changed. Should I have deactivated
> Windows before reinstalling, and can I still do it? The Help shows that it
> can after installing a new hard drive or memory, but the system doesn't let
> me.
>
> Thanks for any help and God Bless,
>
> Mark A. Sam

Mark A. Sam

Re: Activation
Thank you dominic. That worked for me.

"Dominic Payer" <dcp@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
> No version of Windows can be formally deactivated.
>
> You need to use telephone activation. Type "slui 4", without the quotes,
> in the Start box and follow the instructions.
>

> On 22/03/2010 15:28, Mark A. Sam wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I couldn't find a Windows 7 group, so I thought it appropriate to post my
>> question here.
>>
>> I installed Windows 7 on an iMac in a Virtual Engine using Paralles
>> Desktop
>> 5. I decided to install it using a Disk Partition instead, so I sent
>> Windows to the trashcan ( I couldn't find a method to uninstall it) and
>> unistalled Paralles. Using a program on the Mac called Bootcamp, I set
>> up
>> the particion and reinstalled Windows 7. Now I am getting a message that
>> the Product Key I entered can't be used on that machine. I understand
>> why,
>> I think, because the hard drive name changed. Should I have deactivated
>> Windows before reinstalling, and can I still do it? The Help shows that
>> it
>> can after installing a new hard drive or memory, but the system doesn't
>> let
>> me.
>>
>> Thanks for any help and God Bless,
>>
>> Mark A. Sam

PvdG42

Re: Activation

"Mark A. Sam" <MarkASam@EmEssEn.Com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I couldn't find a Windows 7 group, so I thought it appropriate to post my
> question here.
>
> I installed Windows 7 on an iMac in a Virtual Engine using Paralles
> Desktop 5. I decided to install it using a Disk Partition instead, so I
> sent Windows to the trashcan ( I couldn't find a method to uninstall it)
> and unistalled Paralles. Using a program on the Mac called Bootcamp, I
> set up the particion and reinstalled Windows 7. Now I am getting a
> message that the Product Key I entered can't be used on that machine. I
> understand why, I think, because the hard drive name changed. Should I
> have deactivated Windows before reinstalling, and can I still do it? The
> Help shows that it can after installing a new hard drive or memory, but
> the system doesn't let me.
>
> Thanks for any help and God Bless,
>
> Mark A. Sam

Although your immediate issue has been solved, you should be aware that
support for Windows 7 is provided in Microsoft web forums only. There are no
Microsoft public newsgroups for Windows 7. Here are the web forums:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...egory/windows7

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...egory/w7itpro/

Mark A. Sam

Re: Activation
Thanks for the links. I wonder why there is no Newsgroup for Windows7.

"PvdG42" <pvdg42@toadstool.edu> wrote in message

> "Mark A. Sam" <MarkASam@EmEssEn.Com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I couldn't find a Windows 7 group, so I thought it appropriate to post my
>> question here.
>>
>> I installed Windows 7 on an iMac in a Virtual Engine using Paralles
>> Desktop 5. I decided to install it using a Disk Partition instead, so I
>> sent Windows to the trashcan ( I couldn't find a method to uninstall it)
>> and unistalled Paralles. Using a program on the Mac called Bootcamp, I
>> set up the particion and reinstalled Windows 7. Now I am getting a
>> message that the Product Key I entered can't be used on that machine. I
>> understand why, I think, because the hard drive name changed. Should I
>> have deactivated Windows before reinstalling, and can I still do it? The
>> Help shows that it can after installing a new hard drive or memory, but
>> the system doesn't let me.
>>
>> Thanks for any help and God Bless,
>>
>> Mark A. Sam
>>

> Although your immediate issue has been solved, you should be aware that
> support for Windows 7 is provided in Microsoft web forums only. There are
> no Microsoft public newsgroups for Windows 7. Here are the web forums:
>
> http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...egory/windows7
>
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...egory/w7itpro/

Rick Rogers

Re: Activation
Microsoft has abandoned them as a means of peer support in favor of the more
controlled environment of the web forum. Think less spam and OT discussions.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org