No video (only after overnight sit)

ker_01

No video (only after overnight sit)
I recently had to reinstall Vista after a HD failure. Almost everything is
working as expected. I do have tasks that I want to have run for long periods
of time (usually overnight). I have set my power options to "never turn off
display" and "never sleep". Screensaver is set to "none"

This works for shorter periods of time, but when I leave the PC overnight, I
come back and my monitor indicates that it is getting no signal. The PC power
lights are still on, but nothing I do turns the monitor feed back on
(keyboard and mouse input have no visible effect). This is not a monitor
sleep issue, I have confirmed that it is not recieving signal from the PC.

I've tested this even when my tasks are not running, so I know it isn't
related to that. Also, I didn't have this problem before the reinstall.

I'm concerned because the only solution is to cold boot, and that would be
bad if the PC happens to be in the middle of a task, or a windows update or
something.

Other than the power settings and screen saver, what else should I be
checking in Vista that might create (or prevent) this type of behavior?

Thank you!
/KR
TheDuck

Re: No video (only after overnight sit)
Time for a new video card.

"ker_01" <ker01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently had to reinstall Vista after a HD failure. Almost everything is
> working as expected. I do have tasks that I want to have run for long
> periods
> of time (usually overnight). I have set my power options to "never turn
> off
> display" and "never sleep". Screensaver is set to "none"
>
> This works for shorter periods of time, but when I leave the PC overnight,
> come back and my monitor indicates that it is getting no signal. The PC
> power
> lights are still on, but nothing I do turns the monitor feed back on
> (keyboard and mouse input have no visible effect). This is not a monitor
> sleep issue, I have confirmed that it is not recieving signal from the PC.
>
> I've tested this even when my tasks are not running, so I know it isn't
> related to that. Also, I didn't have this problem before the reinstall.
>
> I'm concerned because the only solution is to cold boot, and that would be
> bad if the PC happens to be in the middle of a task, or a windows update
> or
> something.
>
> Other than the power settings and screen saver, what else should I be
> checking in Vista that might create (or prevent) this type of behavior?
>
> Thank you!
> /KR

Curious

Re: No video (only after overnight sit)
Have you also looked through the advanced power settings to make sure you
don't have any other options such as to spin down disk drives after a
certain amount of time set?
If you have a broadband internet connection is it set not to disconnect if
there is no activity from your PC?

"ker_01" <ker01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently had to reinstall Vista after a HD failure. Almost everything is
> working as expected. I do have tasks that I want to have run for long
> periods
> of time (usually overnight). I have set my power options to "never turn
> off
> display" and "never sleep". Screensaver is set to "none"
>
> This works for shorter periods of time, but when I leave the PC overnight,
> come back and my monitor indicates that it is getting no signal. The PC
> power
> lights are still on, but nothing I do turns the monitor feed back on
> (keyboard and mouse input have no visible effect). This is not a monitor
> sleep issue, I have confirmed that it is not recieving signal from the PC.
>
> I've tested this even when my tasks are not running, so I know it isn't
> related to that. Also, I didn't have this problem before the reinstall.
>
> I'm concerned because the only solution is to cold boot, and that would be
> bad if the PC happens to be in the middle of a task, or a windows update
> or
> something.
>
> Other than the power settings and screen saver, what else should I be
> checking in Vista that might create (or prevent) this type of behavior?
>
> Thank you!
> /KR

Badger

Re: No video (only after overnight sit)
Another suggestion,
Set your screen saver to Blank instead of None so the screen will turn black
after a few seconds,
This will prevent an image from burning onto your screen and lets the color
guns cool down.

"ker_01" <ker01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I recently had to reinstall Vista after a HD failure. Almost everything is
> working as expected. I do have tasks that I want to have run for long
> periods
> of time (usually overnight). I have set my power options to "never turn
> off
> display" and "never sleep". Screensaver is set to "none"
>
> This works for shorter periods of time, but when I leave the PC overnight,
> come back and my monitor indicates that it is getting no signal. The PC
> power
> lights are still on, but nothing I do turns the monitor feed back on
> (keyboard and mouse input have no visible effect). This is not a monitor
> sleep issue, I have confirmed that it is not recieving signal from the PC.
>
> I've tested this even when my tasks are not running, so I know it isn't
> related to that. Also, I didn't have this problem before the reinstall.
>
> I'm concerned because the only solution is to cold boot, and that would be
> bad if the PC happens to be in the middle of a task, or a windows update
> or
> something.
>
> Other than the power settings and screen saver, what else should I be
> checking in Vista that might create (or prevent) this type of behavior?
>
> Thank you!
> /KR

TheDuck

Re: No video (only after overnight sit)
Yep, those LCD color guns are a killer.

"Badger" <jerrymcm@msn.com> wrote in message
> Another suggestion,
> Set your screen saver to Blank instead of None so the screen will turn
> black after a few seconds,
> This will prevent an image from burning onto your screen and lets the
> color guns cool down.
>
> "ker_01" <ker01@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> I recently had to reinstall Vista after a HD failure. Almost everything
>> is
>> working as expected. I do have tasks that I want to have run for long
>> periods
>> of time (usually overnight). I have set my power options to "never turn
>> off
>> display" and "never sleep". Screensaver is set to "none"
>>
>> This works for shorter periods of time, but when I leave the PC
>> overnight, I
>> come back and my monitor indicates that it is getting no signal. The PC
>> power
>> lights are still on, but nothing I do turns the monitor feed back on
>> (keyboard and mouse input have no visible effect). This is not a monitor
>> sleep issue, I have confirmed that it is not recieving signal from the
>> PC.
>>
>> I've tested this even when my tasks are not running, so I know it isn't
>> related to that. Also, I didn't have this problem before the reinstall.
>>
>> I'm concerned because the only solution is to cold boot, and that would
>> be
>> bad if the PC happens to be in the middle of a task, or a windows update
>> or
>> something.
>>
>> Other than the power settings and screen saver, what else should I be
>> checking in Vista that might create (or prevent) this type of behavior?
>>
>> Thank you!
>> /KR

Badger

Re: No video (only after overnight sit)