windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware

shez1983

windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware

I am trying to install vista on my computer but i get that error. My
installation process hasnt been smooth so far!

What happens is that when i install vista (from usb) It restarts the
first time, then it displays the message "vista is starting up for the
first time or something" then I go to the next stage but there I get the
error in my title.

In my bios (DELL) i have only one option to change the harddrive from
ATA to AHCI (or vice versa) and that is it and I have tried both options
& same error...

I have been trying to reinstall vista since last wednesday!!!

--
shez1983
DL

Re: windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware
Assuming your Dell was supplied with winxp, did you first run the Visa
compatibility checker?
The err msg appears to suggest that your hardware does not support Vista.

ATA & ACHI is a setting for the type of drive controler being used, you
should not fiddle with the bios settings, the only bios setting you might
want to amend is your boot order.
Why are you installing from usb, or do you mean from a usb connected disk
drive?

"shez1983" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I am trying to install vista on my computer but i get that error. My
> installation process hasnt been smooth so far!
>
> What happens is that when i install vista (from usb) It restarts the
> first time, then it displays the message "vista is starting up for the
> first time or something" then I go to the next stage but there I get the
> error in my title.
>
> In my bios (DELL) i have only one option to change the harddrive from
> ATA to AHCI (or vice versa) and that is it and I have tried both options
> & same error...
>
> I have been trying to reinstall vista since last wednesday!!!
>

> --
> shez1983

shez1983

DL;1229753 Wrote:
> Assuming your Dell was supplied with winxp, did you first run the Visa
> compatibility checker?
> The err msg appears to suggest that your hardware does not support
> Vista.
>
> ATA & ACHI is a setting for the type of drive controler being used, you
> should not fiddle with the bios settings, the only bios setting you
> might
> want to amend is your boot order.
> Why are you installing from usb, or do you mean from a usb connected
> disk
> drive?

my dell was supplied with vista OEM version and I am installing from
usb PEN/FLASH drive (which is bootable)

--
shez1983
Curious

Re: windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware
When you got the system from Dell did they provide an installation DVD or
USB flash drive containing the correct OEM installation files for their
Ssytem and BIOS design or did they provide a recovery partiiton on HDD and
instructions on how to rebuild the system using it and instructions on how
to back it up to DVDs and or to a USB flask drive?

> DL;1229753 Wrote:
>> Assuming your Dell was supplied with winxp, did you first run the Visa
>> compatibility checker?
>> The err msg appears to suggest that your hardware does not support
>> Vista.
>>
>> ATA & ACHI is a setting for the type of drive controler being used, you
>> should not fiddle with the bios settings, the only bios setting you
>> might
>> want to amend is your boot order.
>> Why are you installing from usb, or do you mean from a usb connected
>> disk
>> drive?
>>

> my dell was supplied with vista OEM version and I am installing from
> usb PEN/FLASH drive (which is bootable)
>

> --
> shez1983

TheDuck

Re: windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computer's hardware
Are you using a SATA bootdrive? You may need to enable the ACHI driver in
the registry. Check this KB article. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976