HP Pavillion a1632x

walter deodiaus

HP Pavillion a1632x
I have a HP Pavillion a1632x which came with XP, but was advertised to be
upgradeable to
Vista. Later on, this option was not supported. This falls on false
advertising! Doesn't HP have trial drivers? I called HP, but they don't
seem to support Vista for this machine.
Last week, I was infected by a virus and was unable to recover my XP OS.
I received a copy of Vista at a trade show, and decided to install it, as I
did not want to shell out $30 for the CDs. Besides, I heard that Vista was
far better after Service pack 1.
Does anyone know where to get device drivers for the NVidea nForce Network
Controller? I tried both the HP & nvidea, but none of those work.
Moreover, HP does not talk much about the exact specs on the network
controler (which is on board).
I guess my time is cheap, so I am willing to spend a couple of hours before
breaking down and ordering the XP reinstall cds!

DL

Re: HP Pavillion a1632x
Where did you look?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...&lang=en&cc=uk

"walter deodiaus" <deodiaus@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a HP Pavillion a1632x which came with XP, but was advertised to be
>upgradeable to
> Vista. Later on, this option was not supported. This falls on false
> advertising! Doesn't HP have trial drivers? I called HP, but they don't
> seem to support Vista for this machine.
> Last week, I was infected by a virus and was unable to recover my XP OS.
> I received a copy of Vista at a trade show, and decided to install it, as
> I did not want to shell out $30 for the CDs. Besides, I heard that Vista
> was far better after Service pack 1.
> Does anyone know where to get device drivers for the NVidea nForce Network
> Controller? I tried both the HP & nvidea, but none of those work.
> Moreover, HP does not talk much about the exact specs on the network
> controler (which is on board).
> I guess my time is cheap, so I am willing to spend a couple of hours
> before breaking down and ordering the XP reinstall cds!

David B.

Re: HP Pavillion a1632x
Why are you whining about HP on a Microsoft discussion group, your post has
nothing to do with Vista, the problem isn't that drivers aren't available,
it's that you haven't looked for them, even in the most obvious of places,
HP's support website, which DL provided a link to.

"walter deodiaus" <deodiaus@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a HP Pavillion a1632x which came with XP, but was advertised to be
>upgradeable to
> Vista. Later on, this option was not supported. This falls on false
> advertising! Doesn't HP have trial drivers? I called HP, but they don't
> seem to support Vista for this machine.
> Last week, I was infected by a virus and was unable to recover my XP OS.
> I received a copy of Vista at a trade show, and decided to install it, as
> I did not want to shell out $30 for the CDs. Besides, I heard that Vista
> was far better after Service pack 1.
> Does anyone know where to get device drivers for the NVidea nForce Network
> Controller? I tried both the HP & nvidea, but none of those work.
> Moreover, HP does not talk much about the exact specs on the network
> controler (which is on board).
> I guess my time is cheap, so I am willing to spend a couple of hours
> before breaking down and ordering the XP reinstall cds!

walter deodiaus

Re: HP Pavillion a1632x
I did look on the HP & NVidia site and found some drivers. They did not work
well..
I really wanted alternate locations. The reason I posted to msnews was that
I was hoping for more insight on drivers, especially on how they work
differently under Vista as opposed to XP.
I would hope that the technical issue of drivers which worked under XP but
not under Vista would be well discussed here.

David B.

Re: HP Pavillion a1632x
If you want alternate drivers I would suggest a google search, discussion of
the differences between XP and Vista drivers isn't a common discussion.
HP provides Vista drivers for that machine, so saying they don't support it
is false. Also, drivers are not a Microsoft related discussion in general as
they are provided by the hardware mfg's, not Microsoft.

>I did look on the HP & NVidia site and found some drivers. They did not
>work well..
> I really wanted alternate locations. The reason I posted to msnews was
> that I was hoping for more insight on drivers, especially on how they work
> differently under Vista as opposed to XP.
> I would hope that the technical issue of drivers which worked under XP but
> not under Vista would be well discussed here.

Rick Rogers

Re: HP Pavillion a1632x
Hi,

Drivers are bits of software written so that the operating system can
address the system hardware. Drivers are always specific to the operating
system (usually singular, but sometimes 2 or 3) in question, meaning they
are always only for use with a designated OS. In the case of HP systems,
like many manufacturers, the hardware is proprietary and requires drivers
written specifically for it. Quite often these are not found in the general
OS-provided driver library (each version of Windows comes with thousands,
but this does not cover every concievable hardware configuration and some
are designed only to provide basic, not full, functionality), so you have to
get them from HP. If there are non available, or if they don't work well,
there is not much you can do about it other than complain to the
manufacturer.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"walter deodiaus" <deodiaus@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I did look on the HP & NVidia site and found some drivers. They did not
>work well..
> I really wanted alternate locations. The reason I posted to msnews was
> that I was hoping for more insight on drivers, especially on how they work
> differently under Vista as opposed to XP.
> I would hope that the technical issue of drivers which worked under XP but
> not under Vista would be well discussed here.

Curious

Re: HP Pavillion a1632x
I had a scanner which did not have Vista drivers but I was able to get it
operational by installing the scaner's XP drivers in XP compatibility mode
and also running the scanner from XP compatibility mode. Due to major
changes in the security design of the OS kernel between XP and Vista all/or
almost all hardware vendors had to rewrite their drivers for Vista.
When you say you had trouble with Vista drivers from both HP and Nvidia what
do you meant? Did you confirm that these drivers did get installed and that
they were the ones being used by Vista using Device Manager?

"walter deodiaus" <deodiaus@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I did look on the HP & NVidia site and found some drivers. They did not
> work well..
> I really wanted alternate locations. The reason I posted to msnews was
> that I was hoping for more insight on drivers, especially on how they work
> differently under Vista as opposed to XP.
> I would hope that the technical issue of drivers which worked under XP but
> not under Vista would be well discussed here.

walter deodiaus

Re: HP Pavillion a1632x
I went to my neighborhood small computer store and bought a DLink DFE-530TX+
10/100 pci network adaptor which had an MS Vista compatibility logo on it.
It cost about $18, so I bought it. The merchant told me that it would not
work either, but for $44, would make my existing one work. If that were
all, I might consider that, but who knows what other devices might not work
once I get going. Any suggestions on the secret? Are there any websites
which might be a better avenue than this one.
The new adaptor did not work either.
I am unemployed, so spending money is tough. For $30+, I can get XP from HP
with all the drivers on it. I think this is what I am going to do.
BTW, 20 years ago, I use to write DSP integration modules for PC, so I am
not completely unknowledgeable.

walter deodiaus

Re: HP Pavillion a1632x
It said it was installed and running, but it keeps disconnecting and
reconnecting from the network. The cable is seated firmly and the computer
is still, so its not a louse connection.

"Curious" <nobody@nspam.com> wrote in message
>I had a scanner which did not have Vista drivers but I was able to get it
>operational by installing the scaner's XP drivers in XP compatibility mode
>and also running the scanner from XP compatibility mode. Due to major
>changes in the security design of the OS kernel between XP and Vista all/or
>almost all hardware vendors had to rewrite their drivers for Vista.
> When you say you had trouble with Vista drivers from both HP and Nvidia
> what do you meant? Did you confirm that these drivers did get installed
> and that they were the ones being used by Vista using Device Manager?
>
> "walter deodiaus" <deodiaus@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> I did look on the HP & NVidia site and found some drivers. They did not
>> work well..
>> I really wanted alternate locations. The reason I posted to msnews was
>> that I was hoping for more insight on drivers, especially on how they
>> work differently under Vista as opposed to XP.
>> I would hope that the technical issue of drivers which worked under XP
>> but not under Vista would be well discussed here.

walter deodiaus

Re: HP Pavillion a1632x
BTW this all worked under XP before virus hit.
Also, the network connector works under Ubanto Linux