Installled additional hard drive, now Vista says ...Evaluation cop

Terry

Installled additional hard drive, now Vista says ...Evaluation cop
I recently added 2 gig memory, a new processor and a new hard drive (C) to my
Dell XPS 420.

I used my "(Dell) Reinstallation DVD" to install Vista to the new hard drive
which is now C:. The original Vista is still on the old hard drive (E.

FWIW, during the new HD install I sometimes booted the PC from the new drive
and the old drive.

At some point, Vista put that "Evaluation copy" at the bottom right of the
screen. Also, again at some point, Vista asked me to validate, which I did
without any problems.

Anyway, my question is how to make the ...Evaluation copy... notice go away?

Many thanks,
Terry

Leroy

Re: Installled additional hard drive, now Vista says ...Evaluationcop
This can be caused if test-sign mode is started.

To disable test-signing, use the following BCDEdit command:

1. Type CMD in Vista's Search box and when the CMD icon appears,
right-click on it and select "Run as administrator".

2. Then type (or copy & paste): Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF

Note: After you change the TESTSIGNING boot configuration option,
restart the computer for the change to take effect.

Terry wrote:
> I recently added 2 gig memory, a new processor and a new hard drive (C) to my
> Dell XPS 420.
>
> I used my "(Dell) Reinstallation DVD" to install Vista to the new hard drive
> which is now C:. The original Vista is still on the old hard drive (E.
>
> FWIW, during the new HD install I sometimes booted the PC from the new drive
> and the old drive.
>
> At some point, Vista put that "Evaluation copy" at the bottom right of the
> screen. Also, again at some point, Vista asked me to validate, which I did
> without any problems.
>
> Anyway, my question is how to make the ...Evaluation copy... notice go away?
>
> Many thanks,
> Terry

Terry

Re: Installled additional hard drive, now Vista says ...Evaluation
Thanks for the reply. I did the bcdedit and it returned a message that it
had completed the action or something. But I still have the Evaluation Copy
notice.

I am just guessing, but I think Windows "saw" that I had Vista installed on
two hard drives for a couple days and put the Evaluation Copy on one of them.

I am now running Vista on only one hard drive. I formatted the original
hard drive and am using it for extra storage.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Terry

"Leroy" wrote:

> This can be caused if test-sign mode is started.
>
> To disable test-signing, use the following BCDEdit command:
>
> 1. Type CMD in Vista's Search box and when the CMD icon appears,
> right-click on it and select "Run as administrator".
>
> 2. Then type (or copy & paste): Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF
>
> Note: After you change the TESTSIGNING boot configuration option,
> restart the computer for the change to take effect.
>

> Terry wrote:
> > I recently added 2 gig memory, a new processor and a new hard drive (C) to my
> > Dell XPS 420.
> >
> > I used my "(Dell) Reinstallation DVD" to install Vista to the new hard drive
> > which is now C:. The original Vista is still on the old hard drive (E.
> >
> > FWIW, during the new HD install I sometimes booted the PC from the new drive
> > and the old drive.
> >
> > At some point, Vista put that "Evaluation copy" at the bottom right of the
> > screen. Also, again at some point, Vista asked me to validate, which I did
> > without any problems.
> >
> > Anyway, my question is how to make the ...Evaluation copy... notice go away?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > Terry
> >

> .

Curious

Re: Installled additional hard drive, now Vista says ...Evaluation
What is version number of the release that displays "Evaluation Copy"
"Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply. I did the bcdedit and it returned a message that it
> had completed the action or something. But I still have the Evaluation
> Copy
> notice.
>
> I am just guessing, but I think Windows "saw" that I had Vista installed
> on
> two hard drives for a couple days and put the Evaluation Copy on one of
> them.
>
> I am now running Vista on only one hard drive. I formatted the original
> hard drive and am using it for extra storage.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Terry
>
> "Leroy" wrote:
>
>> This can be caused if test-sign mode is started.
>>
>> To disable test-signing, use the following BCDEdit command:
>>
>> 1. Type CMD in Vista's Search box and when the CMD icon appears,
>> right-click on it and select "Run as administrator".
>>
>> 2. Then type (or copy & paste): Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF
>>
>> Note: After you change the TESTSIGNING boot configuration option,
>> restart the computer for the change to take effect.
>>

>> Terry wrote:
>> > I recently added 2 gig memory, a new processor and a new hard drive (C)
>> > to my
>> > Dell XPS 420.
>> >
>> > I used my "(Dell) Reinstallation DVD" to install Vista to the new hard
>> > drive
>> > which is now C:. The original Vista is still on the old hard drive
>> > (E.
>> >
>> > FWIW, during the new HD install I sometimes booted the PC from the new
>> > drive
>> > and the old drive.
>> >
>> > At some point, Vista put that "Evaluation copy" at the bottom right of
>> > the
>> > screen. Also, again at some point, Vista asked me to validate, which I
>> > did
>> > without any problems.
>> >
>> > Anyway, my question is how to make the ...Evaluation copy... notice go
>> > away?
>> >
>> > Many thanks,
>> > Terry
>> >

>> .

Terry

Re: Installled additional hard drive, now Vista says ...Evaluation
It says Build 6002.

Today I re-activated Vista but no solution.

Terry

"Curious" wrote:

> What is version number of the release that displays "Evaluation Copy"
> "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks for the reply. I did the bcdedit and it returned a message that it
> > had completed the action or something. But I still have the Evaluation
> > Copy
> > notice.
> >
> > I am just guessing, but I think Windows "saw" that I had Vista installed
> > on
> > two hard drives for a couple days and put the Evaluation Copy on one of
> > them.
> >
> > I am now running Vista on only one hard drive. I formatted the original
> > hard drive and am using it for extra storage.
> >
> > Any other ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Terry
> >
> > "Leroy" wrote:
> >
> >> This can be caused if test-sign mode is started.
> >>
> >> To disable test-signing, use the following BCDEdit command:
> >>
> >> 1. Type CMD in Vista's Search box and when the CMD icon appears,
> >> right-click on it and select "Run as administrator".
> >>
> >> 2. Then type (or copy & paste): Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING OFF
> >>
> >> Note: After you change the TESTSIGNING boot configuration option,
> >> restart the computer for the change to take effect.

> >> .
> >>

> .

Curious

Re: Installled additional hard drive, now Vista says ...Evaluation
AFAIK 6200 was the original RTM release so at least you are not running an
evaluation copy.
Is there any reason you have not installed Vista SP1 or SP2 on your system?

> It says Build 6002.
>
> Today I re-activated Vista but no solution.
>
> Terry
>
> "Curious" wrote:
>
>> What is version number of the release that displays "Evaluation Copy"
>> "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks for the reply. I did the bcdedit and it returned a message that
>> > it
>> > had completed the action or something. But I still have the Evaluation
>> > Copy
>> > notice.
>> >
>> > I am just guessing, but I think Windows "saw" that I had Vista
>> > installed
>> > on
>> > two hard drives for a couple days and put the Evaluation Copy on one of
>> > them.
>> >
>> > I am now running Vista on only one hard drive. I formatted the
>> > original
>> > hard drive and am using it for extra storage.
>> >
>> > Any other ideas?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Terry

>> .

Rick Rogers

Re: Installled additional hard drive, now Vista says ...Evaluation
RTM is build 6000, 6002 is RTM+SP2.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Curious" <nobody@nspam.com> wrote in message
> AFAIK 6200 was the original RTM release so at least you are not running an
> evaluation copy.
> Is there any reason you have not installed Vista SP1 or SP2 on your
> system?
>
> "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> It says Build 6002.
>>
>> Today I re-activated Vista but no solution.
>>
>> Terry
>>
>> "Curious" wrote:
>>
>>> What is version number of the release that displays "Evaluation Copy"
>>> "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>>> .

Curious

Re: Installled additional hard drive, now Vista says ...Evaluation
My bad, however the OP may not have the RTM version of 6002 see the
following 6002 history quote:
"
Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Pre-Beta
Build Number 6002.16489.lh_sp2beta.080924-1740 (Version 105)
Released in October, 2008.

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Beta
Build Number 6002.16497.081017-1605 (Version 113)
Released December 4, 2008. Download became available in the Microsoft
Download Center.

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 RC Escrow
Build Number 6002.16659.090114-1728 (Version 275)
Released January, 2009.

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Release Candidate
Build Number 6002.16670.090130-1715 (Version 286)
Released February, 2009.

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 RTM Escrow build to Connect Beta Testers
Build Number 6002.17043.090312-1835 (Version ???)
Released March, 2009.
Available and can be installed via Windows Update

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 RTM Escrow
Build Number 6002.17506.090313-1730 (Version ???)
Released March, 2009.
Leak to file sharing websites.

Windows Vista Service Pack 2 RTM
Build Number 6002.18005.090410-1830
Released 28 April, 2009.
Official released by Microsoft via Windows Update on 26 May, 2009
"

> RTM is build 6000, 6002 is RTM+SP2.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Curious" <nobody@nspam.com> wrote in message
>> AFAIK 6200 was the original RTM release so at least you are not running
>> an evaluation copy.
>> Is there any reason you have not installed Vista SP1 or SP2 on your
>> system?
>>
>> "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> It says Build 6002.
>>>
>>> Today I re-activated Vista but no solution.
>>>
>>> Terry

Terry

RE: Installled additional hard drive, now Vista says ...Evaluation cop
New information

I reinstalled Vista and all my drivers and programs. No "Evaluation copy"
message. Then I installed SP1 and Vista ran well with to "Evaluation copy"
message.

Then I installed SP2 and the "Evaluation copy" message reappeared. Jeez, WTF!

Then I did System Restore back to just before the SP2 install and the
"Evaluation copy" message is gone.

When I installed the new hard drive I had been running SP2 for some time
without any problems. But now, it looks like SP2 is the source of the
"Evaluation copy" message.

I plan to stay with SP1 for a while and see how the system performs.

Weird,
Terry

"Terry" wrote:

> I recently added 2 gig memory, a new processor and a new hard drive (C) to my
> Dell XPS 420.
>
> I used my "(Dell) Reinstallation DVD" to install Vista to the new hard drive
> which is now C:. The original Vista is still on the old hard drive (E.
>
> FWIW, during the new HD install I sometimes booted the PC from the new drive
> and the old drive.
>
> At some point, Vista put that "Evaluation copy" at the bottom right of the
> screen. Also, again at some point, Vista asked me to validate, which I did
> without any problems.
>
> Anyway, my question is how to make the ...Evaluation copy... notice go away?
>
> Many thanks,
> Terry

Dave

Re: Installled additional hard drive, now Vista says ...Evaluation cop
IIRC, it's been a long time...
but I think you have to reboot a couple of times and then the "evaluation
copy" watermark will go away.