Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Lost Program

microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2010
Gene L.
 

Posts: n/a
Lost Program
While re-installing Vista Home Premium recently, I seem to have lost the
C-Prompt which I always found on the start menu under "system tools". Can
anyone tell me how to get it back? I never had this happen before but I
cannot seem to locate it. Many thanks for the help.
Gene L.

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2010
Charles W Davis
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Lost Program
Gene,

Click on the Start Orb and type cmd in the search box. Or, click on the
Start Orb, click All Programs, scroll to Accessories and click, Command
Prompt should appear.
"Gene L." <camelotscc@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
news:Oj4SP5yiKHA.1824@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> While re-installing Vista Home Premium recently, I seem to have lost the
> C-Prompt which I always found on the start menu under "system tools". Can
> anyone tell me how to get it back? I never had this happen before but I
> cannot seem to locate it. Many thanks for the help.
> Gene L.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2010
Gene L.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Lost Program
Thanks for the help but part of the problem is that the Command Prompt is no
longer listed among the accessory programs. It does not appear at all. I
must have deleted it somehow. I would like to have it right on my start menu
as it was before. Can we do this?
Thanks again:
Gene L

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2010
Charles W Davis
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Lost Program
Create a new shortcut to: %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe
"Gene L." <camelotscc@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
news:ODaH0i0iKHA.1420@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Thanks for the help but part of the problem is that the Command Prompt is
> no longer listed among the accessory programs. It does not appear at all.
> I must have deleted it somehow. I would like to have it right on my start
> menu as it was before. Can we do this?
> Thanks again:
> Gene L


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2010
Gene L.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Lost Program
Charles:
Thanks for the response but, being a novice, I do not know how to create a
"short cut". I think I am supposed to type (or enter)
"%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe" but I don't know where. Can you give me a
little more information on how to create this shortcut? I appreciate your
help.

Gene

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2010
Bill Leary
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Lost Program
"Gene L." <Camelotscc@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
news:%23Ubitv5iKHA.4912@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Charles:
> Thanks for the response but, being a novice, I do not know how to create a
> "short cut". I think I am supposed to type (or enter)
> "%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe" but I don't know where. Can you give me a
> little more information on how to create this shortcut? I appreciate your
> help.


Right click on the desktop. Select "New." Select "Shortcut."

Type %SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe into the box where it says "Type the
location of this item:"

Click the Next button at the bottom (see note at end).

Optionally change the name of the shortcut, if you like.

Click the Finish button at the bottom.

When you click on the new shortcut, you should get a command prompt.

Note at end: If when you clicked Next you get a Create Shortcut alert box
with the message:

The file %SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe cannot be found.

then it means your earlier thought that you somehow deleted the actual
program was correct. You'll need to restore cmd.exe somehow.

- Bill

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2010
R. C. White
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Lost Program
Hi, Gene.

There are several ways to create such a shortcut. Probably the simplest:

Just click Start, type cmd.exe, and right-click on the Hit that appears, and
click Pin to Start menu.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
rc@grandecom.net
Microsoft Windows MVP
Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64

"Gene L." <Camelotscc@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
news:#Ubitv5iKHA.4912@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Charles:
> Thanks for the response but, being a novice, I do not know how to create a
> "short cut". I think I am supposed to type (or enter)
> "%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe" but I don't know where. Can you give me a
> little more information on how to create this shortcut? I appreciate your
> help.
>
> Gene


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2010
Gene L.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Lost Program
Bill: Your ending note is correct. The wording is that it "cannot be found".
I guess I am just out of luck unless I do another complete re install. I
don't know if it is worth it. Thank you for the help.
Gene

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 01-02-2010
Gene L.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Lost Program
RC
Following your suggestion, I was able to get a command prompt but it reads
"System 32". The command that I had on my start menu before took me right to
the Vista documents. Can the System 32 identification be changed? Thanks for
your help.
Gene

Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 01-17-2010
TheDuck
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Lost Program
Right click /rename/*****

"Gene L." <Camelotscc@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
news:OD0YgH9iKHA.2780@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> RC
> Following your suggestion, I was able to get a command prompt but it reads
> "System 32". The command that I had on my start menu before took me right
> to the Vista documents. Can the System 32 identification be changed?
> Thanks for your help.
> Gene


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Freeze - Reboot - Profile damaged? Any program settings lost? toebens Windows Vista General 0 01-29-2009 17:20
program lost focus choong in jung microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 0 04-30-2008 13:21
Lost Vista permission on program I installed? Slothmaster microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 1 03-24-2008 14:35
Program list lost on 'START' gene7851 microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 0 08-19-2007 03:38
Lost program =?Utf-8?B?ajU0YW1z?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 03-22-2007 00:27




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:54.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120