Installing a second hard drive - problem

Ron O'Brien

Installing a second hard drive - problem
I have just inserted a second hard drive - 1TB which has been previously
installed on a friends computer, as far as I know it's been wiped but.....

In Disk Management it appears: Disk 1 - and there is no drive letter,
stating it has an available capacity of 931.51GB
To the right hand side of Disk1 it shows an area with a black stripe along
the top 1.51GB unallocated and an area with a Blue stripe along the top
930GB

If I right click on the black 'box' I am given just one option - New Single
Volume
If I right click on the blue 'box' I am given just one option - Delete
volume

All I want to do is make one big space i.e. the entire available 931.51gb
formatted as drive D:\

Can some kind person walk me through the steps to do this please

--
Ron

Rick Rogers

Re: Installing a second hard drive - problem
Hi,

Delete the existing volume (blue box), then all of the drive should appear
black. Right click on the now-larger black area and create a new volume.
Once created, format it and you're good to go.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ron O'Brien" <castcall@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I have just inserted a second hard drive - 1TB which has been previously
>installed on a friends computer, as far as I know it's been wiped but.....
>
> In Disk Management it appears: Disk 1 - and there is no drive letter,
> stating it has an available capacity of 931.51GB
> To the right hand side of Disk1 it shows an area with a black stripe along
> the top 1.51GB unallocated and an area with a Blue stripe along the top
> 930GB
>
> If I right click on the black 'box' I am given just one option - New
> Single Volume
> If I right click on the blue 'box' I am given just one option - Delete
> volume
>
> All I want to do is make one big space i.e. the entire available 931.51gb
> formatted as drive D:\
>
> Can some kind person walk me through the steps to do this please
>

> --
> Ron

Ron O'Brien

Re: Installing a second hard drive - problem
Thanks....that did the job

Ron