Windows failed to start

Bill

Windows failed to start
My Windows Vista Business upgrade DVD won't boot. Is this normal? Are there
certain "upgrade" DVDs that aren't supposed to boot?

This is an genuine purchased Windows DVD, part number: 66J-04586.

It will install Vista, as long as I boot the computer into XP first, then
run the install program.

I've installed Vista on a few computers (site license) in my small
non-profit and it worked, but today one had a problem.

It's getting an error screen: Windows Error Recovery - Windows failed to
start. To fix, restart, boot with the DVD and click "Repair your computer"

The problem is that the Vista DVD won't boot, so I can't repair Windows.
(The XP DVD will boot, so the problem is not with the drive)

Can anyone think of any way to repair this, or fix this error?

thank you,
Bill
Curious

Re: Windows failed to start
Assuming your Bios is set up to boot from your DVD optical drive first what
happens when you reboot your computer with your Vista installation DVD in
the drive?

"Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My Windows Vista Business upgrade DVD won't boot. Is this normal? Are
> there
> certain "upgrade" DVDs that aren't supposed to boot?
>
> This is an genuine purchased Windows DVD, part number: 66J-04586.
>
> It will install Vista, as long as I boot the computer into XP first, then
> run the install program.
>
> I've installed Vista on a few computers (site license) in my small
> non-profit and it worked, but today one had a problem.
>
> It's getting an error screen: Windows Error Recovery - Windows failed to
> start. To fix, restart, boot with the DVD and click "Repair your computer"
>
> The problem is that the Vista DVD won't boot, so I can't repair Windows.
> (The XP DVD will boot, so the problem is not with the drive)
>
> Can anyone think of any way to repair this, or fix this error?
>
> thank you,
> Bill

ashvin

Re: Windows failed to start

it will ask you if you want to install windows!!

--
ashvin

Just chill
-pls post your feedback on my reputation, would be of great help to
fine tune and provide better support..-
Bill

Re: Windows failed to start
It’s a Dell, so the process is:
Press F12 for boot menu
At boot menu - I put in the Vista DVD and choose CD drive

Then it says
"Selected boot device not available
Press F1 to retry boot"

It makes it sound like a hardware problem, but when I put in the XP CD, it
then says:

Press any key to boot from CD

And it works, it boots into the XP install.

I've tried this on other computers and get the same result. It won't boot
from this DVD, but I can install Vista from this DVD, on a computer that has
XP installed.

"Curious" wrote:

> Assuming your Bios is set up to boot from your DVD optical drive first what
> happens when you reboot your computer with your Vista installation DVD in
> the drive?
>

> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My Windows Vista Business upgrade DVD won't boot. Is this normal? Are
> > there
> > certain "upgrade" DVDs that aren't supposed to boot?
> >
> > This is an genuine purchased Windows DVD, part number: 66J-04586.
> >
> > It will install Vista, as long as I boot the computer into XP first, then
> > run the install program.
> >
> > I've installed Vista on a few computers (site license) in my small
> > non-profit and it worked, but today one had a problem.
> >
> > It's getting an error screen: Windows Error Recovery - Windows failed to
> > start. To fix, restart, boot with the DVD and click "Repair your computer"
> >
> > The problem is that the Vista DVD won't boot, so I can't repair Windows.
> > (The XP DVD will boot, so the problem is not with the drive)
> >
> > Can anyone think of any way to repair this, or fix this error?
> >
> > thank you,
> > Bill

Curious

Re: Windows failed to start
Is is possible that you are trying to use a Vista DVD installation in a CD
capable only drive?

> It’s a Dell, so the process is:
> Press F12 for boot menu
> At boot menu - I put in the Vista DVD and choose CD drive
>
> Then it says
> "Selected boot device not available
> Press F1 to retry boot"
>
> It makes it sound like a hardware problem, but when I put in the XP CD, it
> then says:
>
> Press any key to boot from CD
>
> And it works, it boots into the XP install.
>
> I've tried this on other computers and get the same result. It won't boot
> from this DVD, but I can install Vista from this DVD, on a computer that
> has
> XP installed.
>
> "Curious" wrote:
>
>> Assuming your Bios is set up to boot from your DVD optical drive first
>> what
>> happens when you reboot your computer with your Vista installation DVD in
>> the drive?
>>

>> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My Windows Vista Business upgrade DVD won't boot. Is this normal? Are
>> > there
>> > certain "upgrade" DVDs that aren't supposed to boot?
>> >
>> > This is an genuine purchased Windows DVD, part number: 66J-04586.
>> >
>> > It will install Vista, as long as I boot the computer into XP first,
>> > then
>> > run the install program.
>> >
>> > I've installed Vista on a few computers (site license) in my small
>> > non-profit and it worked, but today one had a problem.
>> >
>> > It's getting an error screen: Windows Error Recovery - Windows failed
>> > start. To fix, restart, boot with the DVD and click "Repair your
>> > computer"
>> >
>> > The problem is that the Vista DVD won't boot, so I can't repair
>> > Windows.
>> > (The XP DVD will boot, so the problem is not with the drive)
>> >
>> > Can anyone think of any way to repair this, or fix this error?
>> >
>> > thank you,
>> > Bill

danielw

Re: Windows failed to start
i am having this same problem. I keep wiping the hard drive/reformatting and
reinstalling but it keeps coming up to this screen. any ideas?

"Curious" wrote:

> Is is possible that you are trying to use a Vista DVD installation in a CD
> capable only drive?
>
> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It’s a Dell, so the process is:
> > Press F12 for boot menu
> > At boot menu - I put in the Vista DVD and choose CD drive
> >
> > Then it says
> > "Selected boot device not available
> > Press F1 to retry boot"
> >
> > It makes it sound like a hardware problem, but when I put in the XP CD, it
> > then says:
> >
> > Press any key to boot from CD
> >
> > And it works, it boots into the XP install.
> >
> > I've tried this on other computers and get the same result. It won't boot
> > from this DVD, but I can install Vista from this DVD, on a computer that
> > has
> > XP installed.
> >
> > "Curious" wrote:
> >
> >> Assuming your Bios is set up to boot from your DVD optical drive first
> >> what
> >> happens when you reboot your computer with your Vista installation DVD in
> >> the drive?
> >>

> >> "Bill" <Bill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> .

Curious

Re: Windows failed to start
As I pointed to Bill his optical may only be a CD drive and not CD/DVD
drive.
And he can boot the XP installation disk because it is a CD disk unlike the
Vista installation disk which is a DVD disk.