recovery files

charles cashion

recovery files
Vista Home Premium
I wanted to deleted the older recovery files,
but found that I could delete all or nothing.
?Q: Is there a way to selectively delete
recovery points files?
Charles
Curious

Re: recovery files
You are confusing the recovery partition files which your PC manufacturer
provides with the original system so that you can rebuild the entire OS with
the Restore Points which the OS provides so you can back up to a previous
date/time.

"charles cashion" <cmcnuz@dunjas.com> wrote in message
> Vista Home Premium
> I wanted to deleted the older recovery files,
> but found that I could delete all or nothing.
> ?Q: Is there a way to selectively delete
> recovery points files?
> Charles

charles cashion

Re: recovery files
Curious wrote:
> You are confusing the recovery partition files which your PC
> manufacturer provides with the original system so that you can rebuild
> the entire OS with the Restore Points which the OS provides so you can
> back up to a previous date/time.
>
> "charles cashion" <cmcnuz@dunjas.com> wrote in message
>> Vista Home Premium
>> I wanted to deleted the older recovery files,
>> but found that I could delete all or nothing.
>> ?Q: Is there a way to selectively delete
>> recovery points files?
>> Charles

Let me see if I can word this correctly...
I thought I could selectively remove restore points.
I am certain that I have done this, but I cannot remember
how long ago I did this.
I just discovered that I can remove all or nothing.
Am I on the wrong screen?
Charles

Restore points might be (almost) a red herring. I would
like the answer to selective removal of restore points,
but the real problem is: something is filling my hard drive.
When I first started using my new Vista Home Premium,
my total disk usage was about 11GB. Now C:\Windows
takes 22GB while c:\users\cmcnuz takes about 2.5GB.
--
cc
Michael Walraven

Re: recovery files
you cannot (as far as I know) selectively remove recovery points. You can
remove all but the last. The system will remove the oldest one if it needs
the space.

Michael

> Curious wrote:
>> You are confusing the recovery partition files which your PC manufacturer
>> provides with the original system so that you can rebuild the entire OS
>> with the Restore Points which the OS provides so you can back up to a
>> previous date/time.
>>
>> "charles cashion" <cmcnuz@dunjas.com> wrote in message
>>> Vista Home Premium
>>> I wanted to deleted the older recovery files,
>>> but found that I could delete all or nothing.
>>> ?Q: Is there a way to selectively delete
>>> recovery points files?
>>> Charles

> Let me see if I can word this correctly...
> I thought I could selectively remove restore points.
> I am certain that I have done this, but I cannot remember
> how long ago I did this.
> I just discovered that I can remove all or nothing.
> Am I on the wrong screen?
> Charles
>
> Restore points might be (almost) a red herring. I would
> like the answer to selective removal of restore points,
> but the real problem is: something is filling my hard drive.
> When I first started using my new Vista Home Premium,
> my total disk usage was about 11GB. Now C:\Windows
> takes 22GB while c:\users\cmcnuz takes about 2.5GB.
> --
> cc

peter

Re: recovery files
There is a program called CCLEANER that lets you
remove individual restore points among other things
its is quite safe but I would suggest not running the
registry cleaner part of it

try Googling for it. It is a free download

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"charles cashion" <cmcnuz@dunjas.com> wrote in message
> Curious wrote:
>> You are confusing the recovery partition files which your PC manufacturer
>> provides with the original system so that you can rebuild the entire OS
>> with the Restore Points which the OS provides so you can back up to a
>> previous date/time.
>>
>> "charles cashion" <cmcnuz@dunjas.com> wrote in message
>>> Vista Home Premium
>>> I wanted to deleted the older recovery files,
>>> but found that I could delete all or nothing.
>>> ?Q: Is there a way to selectively delete
>>> recovery points files?
>>> Charles

> Let me see if I can word this correctly...
> I thought I could selectively remove restore points.
> I am certain that I have done this, but I cannot remember
> how long ago I did this.
> I just discovered that I can remove all or nothing.
> Am I on the wrong screen?
> Charles
>
> Restore points might be (almost) a red herring. I would
> like the answer to selective removal of restore points,
> but the real problem is: something is filling my hard drive.
> When I first started using my new Vista Home Premium,
> my total disk usage was about 11GB. Now C:\Windows
> takes 22GB while c:\users\cmcnuz takes about 2.5GB.
> --
> cc

Richard G. Harper

Re: recovery files
You cannot selectively delete restore points - they are threaded and require
a complete start-to-end path to work correctly. Removing one or more in the
middle would result in unusable restore points. Same for the files that
comprise them - all or nothing.

"charles cashion" <cmcnuz@dunjas.com> wrote in message
> Vista Home Premium
> I wanted to deleted the older recovery files,
> but found that I could delete all or nothing.
> ?Q: Is there a way to selectively delete
> recovery points files?
> Charles

charles cashion

Re: recovery files
Richard G. Harper wrote:
> You cannot selectively delete restore points - they are threaded and
> require a complete start-to-end path to work correctly. Removing one or
> more in the middle would result in unusable restore points. Same for
> the files that comprise them - all or nothing.
>
> "charles cashion" <cmcnuz@dunjas.com> wrote in message
>> Vista Home Premium
>> I wanted to deleted the older recovery files,
>> but found that I could delete all or nothing.
>> ?Q: Is there a way to selectively delete
>> recovery points files?
>> Charles

I ended up deleting ALL.
It released about 18GB.

When I purchased this machine, it had a 120GB
hard drive and only about 11GB were used. It
now has 30GB in use and everything under
c:\users\charles counts for 4.5GB.
Somebody (something?) is hoarding bytes! !
--
cc

Rick Rogers

Re: recovery files
Hi,

By default, Vista reserves 15% of the drive space for system restore. On a
120GB drive, that'd be 18GB. You can use the vssadmin command to reduce this
allotment if you wish to have fewer points, it's use is described here:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskspacev.html

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> Richard G. Harper wrote:
>> You cannot selectively delete restore points - they are threaded and
>> require a complete start-to-end path to work correctly. Removing one or
>> more in the middle would result in unusable restore points. Same for the
>> files that comprise them - all or nothing.
>>
>> "charles cashion" <cmcnuz@dunjas.com> wrote in message
>>> Vista Home Premium
>>> I wanted to deleted the older recovery files,
>>> but found that I could delete all or nothing.
>>> ?Q: Is there a way to selectively delete
>>> recovery points files?
>>> Charles

> I ended up deleting ALL.
> It released about 18GB.
>
> When I purchased this machine, it had a 120GB
> hard drive and only about 11GB were used. It
> now has 30GB in use and everything under
> c:\users\charles counts for 4.5GB.
> Somebody (something?) is hoarding bytes! !
> --
> cc

whs

Re: recovery files

There is no way for selective deletion. Absolutely none - believe me.

--
whs
charles cashion

Re: recovery files
Rick,
Thanks for the info. That is good to know.
--cc